Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:39 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,593,272 times

Advertisements

Because the exam is made up of questions that only whites know.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:02 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,362,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Firefighters aren't paid for what they do. They are paid for what they might have to do.
lol, what? I'm not a fan of NYPD or their crying about how little they're supposedly paid, but day in day out, those guys earn their salaries much more than firefighters do. At least the one's actually doing police work. Not the desk jockeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'd rather have firefighters around then risk them not be and there being a fire.
Maybe there don't get many fire calls anymore but it takes just one fire that they risk their lives for that makes me able to be ok with their salaries.

Think of it like insurance. Its something you pay into, just in case.

Also I was around for 9-11. Knew firefighters, men who went into that building knew odds of coming out were not with them. So to argue they don't deserve their salary is bs to me.
same old bull**** story.
No one thought those buildings would collapse. There was no historical precedent. I remember that morning. The towers collapsing wasn't even a thought in anyone's mind.

The discussion to be had is not between having firefighters or not having them at all. It's whether we have more than we need and whether they are overpaid.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-26-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
NPR did a podcast discussing what a firefighter is worth, long story short they are drastically overpaid for the services they provide. This day and age, they are not enough fires to justify the cost. Many firefighters operate as overpaid EMT workers now a days.

Episode 424: How Much Is A Firefighter Worth? : Planet Money : NPR
No point in actually posting facts.

There are some in NYC who are invested in the status quo (city employees,family members, etc.).

They're like pigs at the trough and they know the eatin' is good. They won't let go unless they're forced too.

As for why the FDNY is mostly white? It's a nepotistic organization and like I said, they know the eatin' is good. Ain't no way they'll let go.

It's not as if lot of these guys were choosing between being a firefighter or an engineer for Google, an investment banker, research scientist in pharma, etc.

If they weren't firefighters, most of these guys would probably try to go NYPD/DSNY (tougher, more stressful jobs) and if they didn't make it there they'd be in some ****ty job selling insurance or the like. lol

Last edited by wawaweewa; 03-26-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,222,483 times
Wawaweewa - I can start trying to cordially discuss with you that you should try spending a year in the field and understand what it's like crawling down a banked down hallway in a structural fire at 4 am with zero visibility and feeling heat permeating onto your body through PPE that is designed to keep out heat. Or climbing a near vertical ladder with well over a hundred pounds of gear and tools with wind whipping at you in all directions trying to knock you to your death, just so you can get to the roof in order to do your part in controlling crucial aspects in fire operations to stop an entire block from going up. I can indeed attempt to try and have you understand what that's like and how those "excessive bi-weekly checks" (which are just enough to live a modest lifestyle) are put into context. I can go that route, but I've noticed that you get a bit sensitive on here and I don't want to trigger you.

But this:

Quote:
As for why the FDNY is mostly white? It's a nepotistic organization and like I said, they know the eatin' is good. Ain't no way they'll let go.

I really don't agree with a lot you say here, but I can't imagine that you're this ignorant on civil service. You're legitimately starting to sound like our very own, and long lost "SobroGuy". And that is not a good look, friend...

Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,224,733 times
OP, I guess Corrections, the MTA, Housing or the Parks department don't raise your eyebrows much? Oh I know why...

Old 03-26-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Wawaweewa - I can start trying to cordially discuss with you that you should try spending a year in the field and understand what it's like crawling down a banked down hallway in a structural fire at 4 am with zero visibility and feeling heat permeating onto your body through PPE that is designed to keep out heat. Or climbing a near vertical ladder with well over a hundred pounds of gear and tools with wind whipping at you in all directions trying to knock you to your death, just so you can get to the roof in order to do your part in controlling crucial aspects in fire operations to stop an entire block from going up. I can indeed attempt to try and have you understand what that's like and how those "excessive bi-weekly checks" (which are just enough to live a modest lifestyle) are put into context. I can go that route, but I've noticed that you get a bit sensitive on here and I don't want to trigger you.

But this:

I really don't agree with a lot you say here, but I can't imagine that you're this ignorant on civil service. You're legitimately starting to sound like our very own, and long lost "SobroGuy". And that is not a good look, friend...
You can discuss anything you want but the fact is that plenty of jobs are dangerous in a very limited sense.

As in, thinking of it as a normal distribution, most of the time things are OK but when **** hits the fan that 2.5% of the time, people may die.

There are a lot of jobs like that. Cops, construction workers, loggers, fishermen, sanitation workers, mining workers, airline pilots, farmers, ranchers, etc.

Crying about how tough your job is is not really an argument when there are plenty of jobs that are more dangerous yet they somehow don't cry about how dangerous they are.

The problem is that people like yourself don't like to discuss facts. You like pull out the same old trite emotional arguments because it's been working for decades so why not, right?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,222,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You can discuss anything you want but the fact is that plenty of jobs are dangerous in a very limited sense.

As in, thinking of it as a normal distribution, most of the time things are OK but when **** hits the fan that 2.5% of the time, people may die.

There are a lot of jobs like that. Cops, construction workers, loggers, fishermen, sanitation workers, mining workers, airline pilots, farmers, ranchers, etc.

Crying about how tough your job is is not really an argument when there are plenty of jobs that are more dangerous yet they somehow don't cry about how dangerous they are.

The problem is that people like yourself don't like to discuss facts. You like pull out the same old trite emotional arguments because it's been working for decades so why not, right?
Lol nobody is "crying". Simply trying to illustrate to some office worker who sits in air conditioning all summer what the job actually is. If you were to start a thread lamenting about commercial airline pilot or fisherman salaries, and an individual in that profession came upon said thread, they would do the same. And for what it's worth, those guys do very well. Much better than city ff's or cops. And they deserve it.

What do you do?

Edit: you also didn't care to acknowledge my counter to your silly "nepotism" argument.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 536,486 times
Corruption.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:48 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm the only one willing to posit that maybe other races simply don't have as much drive to enter burning buildings should the need arise.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:00 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,359,246 times
It's an institution and a culture which have served their purpose for almost as long as the nation has been in existence -- and especially when the chips were down; need anyone say more?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-26-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City