Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,116 times

Advertisements

I think most people pay NOT to live in the projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 06:02 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I think most people pay NOT to live in the projects

Oh I don't know....

For all intents and purposes Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village pretty much are projects. They were built around the same time many of the federal ones went up in the same style, design and to serve basically one of the same purposes; housing for moderate income and or returning veterans and their families. Yet people will pay good money to live in one but not the other.

As one poster put it in on another site; STPCV is "white people's projects".

Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know....

For all intents and purposes Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village pretty much are projects. They were built around the same time many of the federal ones went up in the same style, design and to serve basically one of the same purposes; housing for moderate income and or returning veterans and their families. Yet people will pay good money to live in one but not the other.

I grew up in the city, and was in my late 20s before I knew that Stuytown was not a housing project

Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I have had quality of life issues in "nice" buildings in nice neighborhoods. If I could score a 2 br in the Hernandez Houses for 2500, it would be a coup. Have you been in a NYHA building? Those are large units.
Yes,definitely been in countless NYCHA buildings. I was a social worker employed by NYC for many years at the beginning of my career.Have been in the worst and best "projects". I wouldn't consider "scoring " an apartment in any NYCHA building a "coup".

Old 04-06-2016, 06:33 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know....

While it's true that they may have started out with similar characteristics and even similar populations they have evolved quite differently and no longer share much of anything other than their beginnings.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I grew up in the city, and was in my late 20s before I knew that Stuytown was not a housing project

From the FDR Drive you really cannot tell where SCPTV ends and Baruch Houses begins.

First time was invited to Stuyvesant Town (a party at a friend of a friend back in the early 1990's) swore it looked just like Todt Hill Houses on Manor Road. Nice, clean, upscale, mostly white, but still "the projects".
Once I got inside it underscored the feeling as the interiors of STPCV are not that much different than NYCHA buildings.

Now some persons have done wonderful things with their apartments at STPCV interior decorator wise, but then again so have some living in NYCHA apartments.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:49 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it was my family that had little money so i lived in one until my teens . my mother had a heart attack giving birth to my sister because she had mis-diagnosed rheumatic fever as a kid which damaged her heart .

so with my dad the only bread winner and a postal clerk and my mom with huge medical bills and unable to work we were kind of in a bind .
but thats what they were for, so in that sense it served its purpose, and your family lived there for the right reasons.
now look where you are today

Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
I would live in any of the projects in Manhattan South of Harlem if I could do so for like $200 a month

Old 04-06-2016, 08:17 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
None of em. Who really wants a taste of poverty sandwiches, and despair drinks?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Not a single red cent. I only go near them when I am being paid, preferably overtime, and armed, with backup and a vest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City