Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,173 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a very small town in North Carolina, but now that my personal finances are looking better, I'm seriously thinking about moving to NYC. Not sure what part yet.

The biggest two reasons I want to move to NYC are transportation and activities. I don't drive (big phobia from a previous car accident), which makes many things inaccessible for me here, so I need to live in a place where having a car isn't necessary. And I feel like I could have more of a "life" in NYC, where there's so much to do.

However, I do have some fears about moving from a small town to a place like NYC. I kind of feel like I'm going to get mugged the second I set foot outside there. I'm not "street smart" at all, and am a bit "absentminded" or lost in thought often while walking.

Safety is the number one concern here, I think. What tips would you give someone like me for staying safe in a big city (from muggings, assaults, etc.)? I'm female, aged 22. Thanks.

I assume safety varies by what part of the city you're in. What part of the city is the safest?

[Note: Just saw that there was a similar thread. But this one is focused more on personal safety, specifically; the other thread seems more about navigating public transportation and stuff].

Last edited by MollyIsMoving; 04-11-2016 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:06 AM

402 posts, read 519,741 times
This may seem obvious but stay off your phone... Everwhere i look, people are just so oblivious to whats going on around them, making them easier targets.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,200,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyIsMoving View Post
I currently live in a very small town in North Carolina, but now that my personal finances are looking better, I'm seriously thinking about moving to NYC. Not sure what part yet.
Did you win the lottery? Living in an upscale neighborhood in Manhattan will cost you big bucks and there is no guarantee of absolute safety.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyIsMoving View Post

The biggest two reasons I want to move to NYC are transportation and activities. I don't drive (big phobia from a previous car accident), which makes many things inaccessible for me here, so I need to live in a place where having a car isn't necessary. And I feel like I could have more of a "life" in NYC, where there's so much to do.

However, I do have some fears about moving from a small town to a place like NYC. I kind of feel like I'm going to get mugged the second I set foot outside there. I'm not "street smart" at all, and am a bit "absentminded" or lost in thought often while walking.

Safety is the number one concern here, I think. What tips would you give someone like me for staying safe in a big city (from muggings, assaults, etc.)? I'm female, aged 22. Thanks.

I assume safety varies by what part of the city you're in. What part of the city is the safest?

[Note: Just saw that there was a similar thread. But this one is focused more on personal safety, specifically; the other thread seems more about navigating public transportation and stuff].
Snap your fingers like they do in the dirty South and chant Brooklyn, woop go Brooklyn woop, snap your fingers and lean back, because every young American loves Brooklynnnnnnn.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,757,884 times
Just walk like you know what you are doing. Head up, but not looking at the skyscrapers. Walk brisk. Don't have your head in the iPhone. Don't be out past 2am. Nothing good ever happens after 2am.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,504,003 times
You would really need to tell us what neighborhood you're considering. However, NYC is the safest major city in the country, and you will most likely be fine. Just be alert. I totally understand not wanting to drive, I'm 21 and I don't even have a license, I'm kind of afraid to drive myself. Thankfully NYC has the best public transportation in the country.

There are a lot of negative nancies on this forum who will tell you misleading things. In reality, all you really need to worry about is having a good paying job that will allow you to afford the high NYC rents.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,504,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Just walk like you know what you are doing. Head up, but not looking at the skyscrapers. Walk brisk. Don't have your head in the iPhone. Don't be out past 2am. Nothing good ever happens after 2am.
Some of the best nights I've ever had extended well past 2 AM.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM

106,852 posts, read 109,114,600 times
When we go out for dinner i always check to see if we can get a table in the no shooting section

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM

824 posts, read 2,793,611 times
I don't know if now is the best time to move to NYC. I moved away 2 1/2 years ago. I still look at the NY papers and this board. The subway sounds like its really gotten worse for one thing. Why not move to Charlotte instead?

OTOH, from my observations newcomers very quickly adapt to NYC. As to safety, there is usually safety in numbers. I always felt safe if there were a lot of people around.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
The biggest safety danger is getting hit by a car. So... even when you have the walk light, make sure there are not careless drivers turning into the intersection intent on hitting you because they care more about getting where they are going than the poor pedestrians in their path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City