Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 AM

928 posts, read 1,102,347 times

Advertisements

The biggest predictor of whether you will be safe is what neiborhood you live in. Every Millenial absolutely loves Bushwick/East Williamsburg and some folks push Bedstuy andnother such ****holes. These neiborhoods are pretty bad, largely desolate and I know many folks who have been burglarized including a home invasion where a friend's roommate was tied up.

Anything in Manhattan south of 125 th street, Astoria and Long Island City, Sunnyside etc are good in Queens, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Ft Green, Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill, Midwood are good areas of Brooklyn. Choose wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:48 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,244,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
When we go out for dinner i always check to see if we can get a table in the no shooting section
They always have a waiting list for that section. If I'm real hungry I just sit in the shooting section and hope for the bet.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM

35 posts, read 37,819 times
I wouldn't take the advice of 21 year olds first and foremost. They haven't lived long enough to really be giving advice on anyone or anything. Nor do they have ANY law enforcement understanding or connections.

As for your safety, you should be worried. All native true blue born n raised NY'ers, especially white, know that you need to have a certain level of fear in order to survive here. If you become complacent, you will be targeted by the local criminal element, especially in "diverse" areas. A lot of it really does in fact depend on race, unfortunately. My advice would be to stay well clear of Brooklyn and da Bronx. You'd be ok in most parts of Manhattan but you likely won't be able to afford it. That leaves Queens (no one cares about Staten Island). The rule of thumb is NE Queens has the lowest crime rates in the city, which is true. The 111pct and 109 pct tend to have almost no homicides. The biggest issue is auto theft and burglary. I would suggest checking out Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Auburndale, Little Neck areas. Rent isn't that bad and you will have high quality of life.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:18 PM

953 posts, read 843,936 times
Molly, you must be confused or perhaps even more unsettled by now. I've lived in Queens, NY all my life and the adjustment coming from your present comfort zone to NYC is indeed a steep one. If you would like to pose any particular questions, you can always send me a direct message. I wish you all the best.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:23 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,910,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
However, NYC is the safest major city in the country...

Yeah... no. There were 352 murders recorded in the five boroughs in 2015, more "unreported". Lot of people, lot of crime.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:59 PM

222 posts, read 715,476 times
Some of the folks on this forum are messin, with you. I am female and have lived in the city for over 35 years and have never had an "incident." When I was young, I went out a lot at night. Now, not so much though I take the subway almost every single day, and I have never had a problem. BTW, my husband is from Yadkin County, has lived in NYC as long as I have and he has never had a problem either.

First and foremost, neighborhood is key. Make sure you are living in a good neighborhood. If you don't like the looks of a place, don't move there. Staggerlee666's suggestions are all good ones.

Some tips:

1. Don't wear headphones or have your face in your Smartphone when you walk down the street. Be aware of your surroundings. If someone looks sketchy to you, follow your instincts and cross the street or go into a store.

2. IMHO, the subway and city are safe in many areas up to 11:30 pm. I would be careful if you are planning to be out later than that.

3. Put your handbag under your arm when you walk. That way you are not "tempting" any thieves.

4. Walk quickly even if you don't know where the heck you are going. Look like you are walking purposefully.

5. Never argue with people you don't know. There are some angry people here who get really uptight if you bump into them in the street. Just apologize if this happens and move on.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:03 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Yeah... no. There were 352 murders recorded in the five boroughs in 2015, more "unreported". Lot of people, lot of crime.
Do you realize how statistics work? Proportionate to the population, that's the lowest amount of murders out of any major city in the US.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,910,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Do you realize how statistics work? Proportionate to the population, that's the lowest amount of murders out of any major city in the US.

Crime is proportionate to the population, and per square mile; a murder a day, New York City is not safe in any context.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Crime is proportionate to the population, and per square mile; a murder a day, New York City is not safe in any context.
One murder per day in NYC, based on population, is still less than any major US city

Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM

1,184 posts, read 721,333 times
Stay behind the yellow line when the subway/trains arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City