Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 05:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times

Advertisements

They make you sign a bunch of forms that say they are allowed to do background checks, credit checks, banking checks, etc. I feel like I signed and dated my name on at LEAST 6 or 7 forms.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:33 PM

186 posts, read 264,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofcoins37 View Post
When I think about all the anxious hours I've spent reloading this forum, I feel a bit silly, but if it ends in a home for us all, I'll accept it. You're now done with the hard part, but if you hear any gossip from the building manager or anyone else along the line, let us know
Haha me too! I must've convinced myself 10-20 times that I wasn't going to get it. Now, I'm a bit addicted to reading the forum and want to stick around to see how things pan out for everyone. I"ll definitely pass on any news I hear!

Old 02-06-2017, 05:34 PM

207 posts, read 355,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
They make you sign a bunch of forms that say they are allowed to do background checks, credit checks, banking checks, etc. I feel like I signed and dated my name on at LEAST 6 or 7 forms.
Great thanks! Thats exactly what they made me sign last week for one of the lotteries !

Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 PM

86 posts, read 104,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENISEP170 View Post
Did they have you sign anything Lata for HDC?

So nerve wrecking... that's easy stuff to get. Thing is I got a promotion and I will def get a raise. UGHHH I don't think it would put me over the bracket though
I haven't signed anything for hdc yet. I'm guessing they are recalculating my income to see if I'm still eligible still. Then I guess I get called in to sign for hdc. But I have no idea if that's the truth or not. I thought u see the apartment before signing to hdc.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM

86 posts, read 104,261 times
Quote:
Wait so they ask for all that paperwork to check bank accounts n stuff all over again. I'm so over this. Smh. Why they just don't do that in the beginning. This is so redundant n ridiculous. This why it takes so damn long. I'm scheduling my surgery. Wherever the lines fall they fall. I can't keep hanging on to back pain for something I don't know if they are going to do or not. This process is so unfair to people. It keeps them on such a standstill.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:49 PM

Latashaw, for me, I signed all the HPC documents early one week and they scheduled me on a late Friday afternoon of that same week to see the supposedly assigned apartment. I think because of the delay in this building though (well, so many of these new buildings have delays), the timing is all over the place and everyone is doing as best they can to get the process moving along. You have to remember, this program is kinda sorta new-ish to these management companies and we all know how the city works. It's a recipe for chaos, indeed. I do wish there was a way to get updates for our status in a much more transparent way, but that isn't the case as of now. Maybe in the future. I will say that I have not dealt with a single person during the entire process in any of these lotteries (at least with MHANY) that hasn't been anything but professional and extremely nice. They have a LOT on their plate.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:53 PM

quote:
Wait so they ask for all that paperwork to check bank accounts n stuff all over again. I'm so over this. Smh. Why they just don't do that in the beginning. This is so redundant n ridiculous. This why it takes so damn long. I'm scheduling my surgery. Wherever the lines fall they fall. I can't keep hanging on to back pain for something I don't know if they are going to do or not. This process is so unfair to people. It keeps them on such a standstill.

They will ask you resubmit recent documentation if anything prior to 4 months ages out. It's just a federal housing law. It makes sense, as much as it sucks. My advice on this? Don't put your life on hold for these lotteries, being surgery, a pay raise, a promotion, etc. Everyone's different though and I understand the frustration. I can't begin to explain the thoughts in my head the last 5 months going through this. It's frustrating and borderline embarrassing. You've been in this lotto from the beginning, let the chips fall where they may. Our chances are so low to get an apartment to begin with, it SUCKS getting so far along and then a bunch of snags come up along the way, especially life's circumstances, but we have to realize we are adults and this is just a housing lottery for a couple of apartments in our income range and family size.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM

56 posts, read 93,502 times
How is the move in to this building?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:08 PM

Also, what are the market rate tenants like? Sorry, that might be a weird question to ask. Do people actually USE the roof deck? I never see anyone on it. I guess the weather and all.. But I am curious how people interact in these kinds of buildings. Another question, that seems to have not been answered... How thin are the walls? Can you hear your neighbors sneeze in the adjacent apartments like in most new construction in this city? Heating? Has anyone gotten their first electric bill yet?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:30 PM

186 posts, read 264,184 times
Quote:
Also, what are the market rate tenants like? Sorry, that might be a weird question to ask. Do people actually USE the roof deck? I never see anyone on it. I guess the weather and all.. But I am curious how people interact in these kinds of buildings. Another question, that seems to have not been answered... How thin are the walls? Can you hear your neighbors sneeze in the adjacent apartments like in most new construction in this city? Heating? Has anyone gotten their first electric bill yet?
I couldn't hear anybody in apartments when I was there and I was on various floors to view the lounges, game room, and fitness center. The construction seems very sturdy. I couldn't hear any outside street noises or traffic. I believe access to the rooftop terrace is part of the amenities package which is $40/mo. Since it's optional not everybody will have access. I opted for the amenities package. Pretty cheap considering all that you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery