Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 13,727 times

Advertisements

Well I am in my 1st year of teaching NYC DOE middle school science...I was at numerous interviews at High schools, but this middle school offered me the position "on the spot", waited a few days and didn't hear anything from the High Schools, so i accepted the Middle school offer ( i am certified 7-12). A week or two after working at the middle school i received a call from the high school, but didn't want to hop around so early. My comfort is teaching the subject, biology, not general science which i why i see my self better suited for HS not middle school...

So after being on the inside and speaking with numerous current teachers I see and hear that teaching "ain't what it used to be" ....

Now I received a canvass letter from the New York State PArk Police ( i took the exam a while ago) and Am scheduled for the agility test (pushups, situps, 1.5 mile run in May) I am considering switching careers here, but I am on thinking..........

..Things can only get so bad in the NYC DOE before they rebound ...right...?

I hear now the retirement for new teachers is a joke(must reach 63 years old).....in the NYS park police after 25 years (any age) retirement is half pay...

Numerous/many kids in this school do less that 50% of the work (7 and 8 graders) 40% or more can not write properly or manage to keep a notebook organized/not lost, keep a pen or pencil longer than a day.......
I know these are just kids, but i am then observed a given 1s or 2s out of 4 ratings and told "oh if it makes yous feel better the kids are like this in all the classes"..

.SO i dont know which is the wiser choice here to stay and fight it out in education ( I am ocnsidering switching to a High School next year, I think the 'open market" begins this month) or the NYS parks police....hmmmm

///side note is there a quota for arrests/tickets/or anything like that for a New York State Park Police....I know NYPD have quotas..hmmm but does that extend into the parks...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 06:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
New york state park police. If you are not passionate about teaching you will be burnt out very quickly. Park Police gives you the experience to transition to other great alphabet agencies later on if you so desire.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Sadly there are few state / city agencies as poorly paid and stressfully worked as NYCDOE.

How they ever managed to have highly educated and qualified professionals making less than bus drivers, garbage men, police, etc... well, it's no wonder I suppose.

The wealthy and well connected hardly have any use for the DOE.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Park Police. I wouldn't even think of teaching in the city. If you could get into one if the better districts in the suburbs, it would be a different.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Park police in no time.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 AM

I have been leaning towards NYS park police....I think I am passionate about teaching relatively speaking (compared to my colleagues)

One thing holding me is the belief that things will turn around and that if i transfer to a high school I will be more comfortable and passionate with a bit more mature crowd of students...more teaching, less baby-sitting...is the hope

anyone have any experience or know of actual people's experiences in either career (NYS parks police or NYC DOE teaching to speak from )

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 AM

47 posts, read 45,005 times
Teaching HS has its pros and cons. There's less babysitting, but not that much less. But at least you get regents weeks.

Park police and teaching seem like opposite ends of the spectrum. Faced with those choices, I'd go with park police.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM

^ I see that too...

Here I am trying to educate these minds so that they can provide for themselves and NOT resort to a life of crime.....

..and the other side is safe-guarding the people who may be hurt or wronged by people who aren't able to co-exist peacefully.....

Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Save yourself. The world is already doomed lol. If you still want to have an impact volunteer with one of those after school programs or some other agency. Pay attention. Not ☝ person said teaching.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:31 AM

Unless you teach in a good school district, it will be a constant uphill battle. I know three teachers and a guidance counselor. It is admirable that you want to teach for selfless reasons. Think long and hard. My friends who are teachers complain that society no longer values education and respect teachers. It translates to a diminished lack of interest in the students. It makes their jobs ten times harder. Plus when you finish teaching your day isn't done. You have papers to mark, lesson plans, lesson preparation, parent teacher meetings, dealing with administration and the list goes on.
Park police your job starts at the begining of the shift and ends at the end of your shift. It is less emotionally draining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: