Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 04:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I don't know the exact cost, but several years ago my father's house had those orange markings placed all over the sidewalk out in front of the house a few weeks before they came by to do multiple houses in his neighborhood all at the same time.

If I remember correctly, when he was finally billed for it, it was much cheaper than he had expected. Also there were some neighbors that were even not even charged because they met some sort of requirements (diability or some other requirement)

Not sure that was much help, but my Pop complains about EVERYTHING and the one thing he never complained about was the cost to replace the sidewalk when he got the bill.
In all likelihood, the contractor probably has to repair sidewalks across the entire borough, so there would likely be a volume "discount."
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM

75 posts, read 522,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Here you go:

"Cost to repair"
NYC DOT - Sidewalk Repair
Thanks, i saw this page before. However, it doesn't give a cost, just refers to the "cost" quoted on the violation. This is a 5 year old violation, so I'm sure they aren't going by those numbers anymore. Glad to hear about your father's situation! Hope mine turns out the same.

Tried calling the city numerous times but have only spoken to an answering machine (NYCDOT sidewalk program).

Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie3333 View Post
Thanks, i saw this page before. However, it doesn't give a cost, just refers to the "cost" quoted on the violation. This is a 5 year old violation, so I'm sure they aren't going by those numbers anymore. Glad to hear about your father's situation! Hope mine turns out the same.

Tried calling the city numerous times but have only spoken to an answering machine (NYCDOT sidewalk program).
I wonder if they're legally allowed to deviate from what was quoted on the violation.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:31 AM

75 posts, read 522,427 times
Better late than never -

I actually got onto someone at the NYCDOT sidewalk maintenace division. There is no "volume" discount - the price is $16.50 per SF, or ~$5000 for the portion of sidewalk in front of my house (300 SF). This is absurd. After hearing this, I grabbed my own sidewalk contractor as fast as I could find, and made him start work the next day . Basically, once you pull a permit to have your own contractor do the work, and post the permit in front of the property, they can't send their contractor to start the work. I saved over 50% by using my own contractor than letting the NYCDOT contractor do the work.

Doing 10 sidewalks on my block within the same week, I am failing to see how NYCDOT gets away with charging $16.5/SF. Is this contract competitively bid??? Can I become a NYCDOT contractor and charge homeowners that price?? Seems like highway robbery to me. This stinks of corruption. Glad I didn't fall victim to this foolishness.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie3333 View Post
Better late than never -

I actually got onto someone at the NYCDOT sidewalk maintenace division. There is no "volume" discount - the price is $16.50 per SF, or ~$5000 for the portion of sidewalk in front of my house (300 SF). This is absurd. After hearing this, I grabbed my own sidewalk contractor as fast as I could find, and made him start work the next day . Basically, once you pull a permit to have your own contractor do the work, and post the permit in front of the property, they can't send their contractor to start the work. I saved over 50% by using my own contractor than letting the NYCDOT contractor do the work.

Doing 10 sidewalks on my block within the same week, I am failing to see how NYCDOT gets away with charging $16.5/SF. Is this contract competitively bid??? Can I become a NYCDOT contractor and charge homeowners that price?? Seems like highway robbery to me. This stinks of corruption. Glad I didn't fall victim to this foolishness.
Union vs non union maybe?

Old 12-12-2016, 08:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
These are the standard color codes for site markings.

Red - Electric

Yellow - Gas, Oil, Steam

Orange - Communication, CATV, Cable

Blue - Water

Green - Sewer

Pink - Surveyor

White - Excavation

Thanks, good information.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,087 times
Hi, I received a sidewalk violation citation ~5 months ago, about 40sqt. nothing wrong just one crack and has been there for 30 years. In the letter from NYC says if I do not have someone repair it in 75 days, the city will come to do it at $20 per sft.

you said you had this sidewalk violation ~4-5 years ago. Have you done anything on it for the past 4-5 years? Can I just leave it and let the city come to repair it in next 4-5 years? thanks.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,087 times
Do you remember how long for your father to it take to get the permit? which DOT office issues the permit? thanks

Old 08-20-2019, 12:56 AM

220 posts, read 154,002 times
That's pretty big brother - I thought you guys paid all of those taxes so that people will pave the streets?

Old 08-20-2019, 12:11 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
That's pretty big brother - I thought you guys paid all of those taxes so that people will pave the streets?
Paving of the streets has nothing to do with a homeowner maintaining their sidewalk!

You should look into just having the crack repaired if it's not too bad. If the work is under $200 you do not need a permit. Learn more about Sidewalk & Repair before jumping too quickly to have DOT fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City