Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Sounds like a pissed off person to me, I wouldn't equalize this bashing to all Russian speaking folks. But there's a sizable population with antisemitic views in Russia, yes, and in Europe generally, especially Baltic states, Poland.
Let's not forget who prepared and executed 1917 revolution in Russia - Lenin was Russian, but most of his high rank comrades were Jewish.
Then why did most of the orthodox Russian side with the crown and beat down the reds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
How interesting.
I didn't realize that Russian non-Jews diss Russian Jews in NYC (and Russian Jewish neighborhoods like Brighton Beach), but...I'm not surprised.

After all, the Soviet Union was notoriously anti-Semitic. That's why so many Jews in the Soviet Union felt they wanted/needed to emigrate.
So...when the Soviet/Russian non-Jews come here, it makes sense that they would bring their anti-Semitic attitudes with them.

Very sad though.
If Soviet Union is notoriously Anti-semitic, then how all those jews become oligarches after the fall of the union? Did Russia all of a sudden become pro-semitic afterwards right away?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

So what you have now is a neighborhood mostly occupied by non-Jewish Russians/Ukrainians while most of the businesses are still Jewish owned. Throw in some good old historic Jew hate that is the norm in Eastern Europe and you have what was described in this thread.
So Brighton Beach is mostly eastern Ortho Russians? We have had threads here debating that before on here. It remains unresolved.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:21 AM

429 posts, read 390,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So Brighton Beach is mostly eastern Ortho Russians? We have had threads here debating that before on here. It remains unresolved.
It doesn't need to be resolved. Those that go to that part of Brooklyn regularly know. The area is made up Russian Jews, Georgians, some Uzbeki, some Baltic states, some Slavic Russians. There are a few Ukranians I've encountered. Then there are agnostic Russians who don't practice any religion and are a mix; Russians do intermarry with Armenians, Jews, Estonians, etc. They just identify with "Russian." Russian Orthodox Church has always been anti-Semitic. The Russian Orthodox here are those who descended from the early wave of Russians after 1917. Some "new Russians" who came here after 1990 hang out there but not too many; this group isn't very religious or cares about it. It's the only nabe where you can buy Russian music, food, books, and other goods; restaurants with food and Russian entertainment. People drive there for all that from other places in New York State. They want to experience that atmosphere for a little while.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
It doesn't need to be resolved. Those that go to that part of Brooklyn regularly know. The area is made up Russian Jews, Georgians, some Uzbeki, some Baltic states, some Slavic Russians. There are a few Ukranians I've encountered. Then there are agnostic Russians who don't practice any religion and are a mix; Russians do intermarry with Armenians, Jews, Estonians, etc. They just identify with "Russian." Russian Orthodox Church has always been anti-Semitic. The Russian Orthodox here are those who descended from the early wave of Russians after 1917. Some "new Russians" who came here after 1990 hang out there but not too many; this group isn't very religious or cares about it. It's the only nabe where you can buy Russian music, food, books, and other goods; restaurants with food and Russian entertainment. People drive there for all that from other places in New York State. They want to experience that atmosphere for a little while.
The Russian Jews living East of Ocean Parkway (and south of BB Ave) are mostly the first generation that arrived in the 70's/80's. Second generations (and later) have moved to West of OP (i.e. Trump Village), Sheepshead Bay, Manhattan Beach, North of the Belt, Staten Island, NJ, etc. It has gone from "Little Odessa" to "Small Soviet Union".

https://youtu.be/KFGcmxY5eGA

Old 06-05-2016, 01:52 PM

379 posts, read 255,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
What's with the hating on your own enclave? I've heard Russians in New York criticize the type of people who live there, and dissing "the Russian Jews" who own some great businesses there. Nowhere in New York can you get authentic food, delis stocked to the ceiling with imports of all kinds from the former Soviet Union, or music/cds/movies. I hear jealousy that the Russians "make all that money with their their restaurants and cafes." I've been treated with respect and great hospitality each and every time I've spent money there on anything for years. I don't get it, is the food any less authentic if a Russian Jewish owner makes it as opposed if he is non Jewish? To me it's all "Russian;" - and it rocks. As far as regional Russian dialects, I've heard some Russians make fun of them. So in the U.S. we don't have regional speech differences?
I don't care what religion/ethnicity people belong to in Brighton - whether someone is Estonian, from Odessa, Georgia, or whatever. I care if the customer service is good, if they're friendly, if the food or the other merchandise is authentic. The dissing usually comes from the non Jewish Russians. I don't know, I find it kind of anti Semitic. They bring that bias with them over here to New York. - they just can't chill out. I love that nabe and nobody's hating on it is going to stop me from going there.
It's not because of food how good they are waiting tables! They get made fun of because a good chunk of these "Russians Jews", who are not Russians despite speaking the Russian language, are scam artists, welfare riggers, and gangsters!

Of course not all of them are like that and are just ordinary, civic minded people.

Why are others' opinions on another group a concern of yours? Are they not allowed to dislike or frown upon those they don't like? The famous Russians Dostoyevsky and Gogol didn't like "Russian Jews" either.

Last edited by DownHillAmerica; 06-05-2016 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 PM

429 posts, read 390,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
It's not because of food how good they are waiting tables! They get made fun of because a good chunk of these "Russians Jews", who are not Russians despite speaking the Russian language, are scam artists, welfare riggers, and gangsters!

Of course not all of them are like that and are just ordinary, civic minded people.

Why are others' opinions on another group a concern of yours? Are they not allowed to dislike or frown upon those they don't like? The famous Russians Dostoyevsky and Gogol didn't like "Russian Jews" either.
Many Russian writers didn't like Jews. What does that have to do with it. So it's ok to hate on everybody and everything in Brighton because Dosto and Gogol were Jew haters?

Yes, I KNOW>>>that a chunk of them are scam artists there. But there are Chinese and Hasidic Jews that are scamming the system, and other ethnicities. Gangsters come in all colors too in NY.

Other's opinions are a concern for me. I won't spend time with haters. Yes, they are all allowed to be prejudiced. What is your point? You're spewing the same type of things. Look at what you wrote.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:35 PM

Are there even enough Ethnic eastern Orthodox Russians to really make this an issue?

Old 06-05-2016, 07:44 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Are there even enough Ethnic eastern Orthodox Russians to really make this an issue?
Sure. There are plenty of them in Brooklyn.

I didn't realize the animosity was so strong between Jewish- and non-Jewish-Russians.

It's interesting.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
I will comfortably say that the demographic trend had been towards non Jewish Russians and others from the former Soviet Union for the better part of a decade now. The Jews from the late 80's-early 90's wave that have stayed are mostly the elderly who live in government subsidized housing. Most Russian Jews who wanted to immigrate did so by the early 1990's. My family came over in 1989.

Most Russian Jews from that wave of immigration have moved on. The vast majority of their children certainly do not live in Brighton Beach.

I go to Brighton Beach every few months (moreso because my fiancée wants to?; she's not Russian) and most of the Jews I see are seniors. Don't ask me how I can tell, we just can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: