Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Question from a protestant, here......

Aren't there different denominations of the Catholic faith?

Venetian
Franciscan
Dominican
Lasallian
Jesuit
etc...
Jesuit, Dominican, Franciscan, etc. are just orders of priests. I am a Catholic, but I am not a Benedictine, for example. I actually went to a Benedictine high school, but that doesn't make me in any way shape or form a Benedictine (who receive Holy Orders, live in a monastic community, and follow the Rule of St. Benedict). I might think that certain orders of priests have better philosophies than others, but the individual lay person is just a Catholic.

Rites are different mostly in terms of liturgy, but all are 100% Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Blaming someone for being a child in the country of their birth under a totalitarian government is very strange but I guess that's all you have.

I encourage you to actually be educated about Catholicism. I will not judge you based on these comments, because I know you don't actually know very much about this topic.

Anyway, I did go to St. Michael's on w 34 this morning and really enjoyed it. The liturgry is great and it is what I was looking for! Very well done, enjoyed the priest's sermon. Thank you Samyn on the green for the recommendation!

I do not blame this old fool for "being a child" but rather for his diligence in joining the Hitler youth, and for covering over numerous cases of child abuse in the priesthood. The proof is in the pudding: he was forced out of the papacy, the first time in a half millennium.

His re-installing the Latin Mass only reinforces how far from humanity the man was.
He saw himself as an ELITE, not unlike Hitler, Goebbels and Eichmann, the gods of his childhood.

So yes, Nazi Pope is quite accurate a description of Josef Ratzinger.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:48 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I do not blame this old fool for "being a child" but rather for his diligence in joining the Hitler youth, and for covering over numerous cases of child abuse in the priesthood. The proof is in the pudding: he was forced out of the papacy, the first time in a half millennium.

His re-installing the Latin Mass only reinforces how far from humanity the man was.
He saw himself as an ELITE, not unlike Hitler, Goebbels and Eichmann, the gods of his childhood.

So yes, Nazi Pope is quite accurate a description of Josef Ratzinger.
Joseph Ratzinger was born in 1927. Hitler took over in 1933 (Ratzinger was 6 years old). Hitler Youth membership was made mandatory in 1939. Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth at age 14 in 1941. The war was finished in 1945. How do you get "diligence for joining the Hitler youth?" It was mandatory, he was 14.

Ratzinger actually did quite a lot as Pope in response to the sex abuse crisis. He is probably the most slandered and maligned pope of the last couple hundred years. It doesn't really make any sense. Just people like you enjoy repeating this kind of stuff.

None of what you say is actually coherent or based in anything objective. You are deep into conspiracy theory here. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
. You are deep into conspiracy theory here. Good luck!

So it is conspiracy and innuendo that forced him out of the papacy. (N.B., He is NOT still pope.)

Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Question from a protestant, here......

Aren't there different denominations of the Catholic faith?

Venetian
Franciscan
Dominican
Lasallian
Jesuit
etc...
The Orders you mention are all Roman Catholics with identical creeds. What makes a Jesuit diferent then a Franciscan maybe disciplines or focus of ministry. For example Jesuits are very highly educated and go into education or other professions as Priests, and are organized together to meet these goals. Prayers from the founders of the order, like St Ignatius of Loyola may be emphasized. However, I am just a regular Catholic who read the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola in 1999 and as a result I was born again in the evangelical sense. While a member of the Franciscans may wish to follow in the example of St Francis of Assisi and live a life of poverty in service of the poor, but all orders are Catholic and share everything in common. Now the Rites of the Church, maybe be the closest to being diferent denominations as they have diferent leadership andbdisciplines, prayers, liturgies but all our in communion with the Pope and agree on doctrine which is shared in common. Thus a Western Rite Catholic may seem more distinct to an Eastern Catholic but are more in common then lets say a Lutheran is to a Anglican in theology. Its a rich Church in theology and Christian history and devotion.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM

But not a perfect Church ofcourse. Being a Christian Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, or unaffiliated are all sick seeking the grace of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We all sin and rely on God for his help to attain whatever good work we meagerly perform or bad action we thankfully avoid due to Gods grace.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
But not a perfect Church ofcourse. Being a Christian Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, or unaffiliated are all sick seeking the grace of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We all sin and rely on God for his help to attain whatever good work we meagerly perform or bad action we thankfully avoid due to Gods grace.
"sick" was precisely the correct word.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Virtually every country that leaves themselves in whichever God's hands, or the multiple Gods' hands depending on your religions, is a mess. Only people who get together as humans and organize things themselves get results. And the most successful and moral advancements in recent civilization (women's rights, minority rights, sexual equality, animal rights) have virtually nothing to do with religion, in fact they were impeded by various religions.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"sick" was precisely the correct word.
Indeed sick is the right word.

Human beings are prone to depravity and injustice. However, enlightened atheist are not immune. The deaths caused by the imposition of atheistic ideology in the former Soviet Union and other communists states prove that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City