Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperQuinn View Post
Isn't that area Bedford Stuyvesant? Is it called Ocean Hill now?
I thought Ocean Hill was south of Fulton? I guess that it's far east enough to be lumped with Ocean Hill-Brownsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Quote:
Regardless of race/ethnicity, it's not a desirable location. I am Latina/Hispanic (Black) and I wouldn't reside in that neighborhood. You can find some whites in the area but it's predominately a African-American/Black neighborhood.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
You don't want to live there.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
You don't want to live there.
I guess not. lol

Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Isn't that area Bedford Stuyvesant? Is it called Ocean Hill now?
They have Bed-Stuy ending at Saratoga.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 PM

337 posts, read 424,167 times
I would say up and coming area. It's a bit seedy on weekend nights and some
Gun play in the summer. But wait it out and it'll be a million dollar area in no time. Good investment property but if your renting I would drop by there prime time rush hour and weekend nights and if you feel safe great. You be the judge. Don't go there at 10 on a Tuesday to judge. Hang around any time after 4 on a weekend

Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 12,579 times
I've lived in that area for 1.5 years, and I've found it to be a fantastic area. Not a lot of bars or restaurants, but otherwise the amenities (transit, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.) are pretty great. As for safety, my roommate saw more violence in Manhattan than she's seen in this neighborhood. The people on my block are laid-back and look out for each other -- most of my neighbors have been here for 20 years or more. If black skin is going to scare you, then I suppose you shouldn't come here. But if you want a chill corner of Brooklyn, this part of Ocean Hill is not a bad choice.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaveiaone View Post
I've lived in that area for 1.5 years, and I've found it to be a fantastic area. Not a lot of bars or restaurants, but otherwise the amenities (transit, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.) are pretty great. As for safety, my roommate saw more violence in Manhattan than she's seen in this neighborhood. The people on my block are laid-back and look out for each other -- most of my neighbors have been here for 20 years or more. If black skin is going to scare you, then I suppose you shouldn't come here. But if you want a chill corner of Brooklyn, this part of Ocean Hill is not a bad choice.
Fantastic and great might be a bit of a stretch.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

12 posts, read 12,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not really. Its access to transit and amenities is truly excellent. Yes it's a poor neighborhood and if you want Starbucks and Whole Foods then keep looking. But otherwise this neighborhood really does check a ton of boxes.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Have you even been there? I live in bed stuy and by extension ocean hill is bed stuy specifically north of Atlantic avenue and west of eastern parkway. It is very quiet in Ocean hill, and it benefits from no projects close by and have mostly homeowners. Ocean hill is barely in the news for crime, its now getting gentrified so prices are skyrocketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City