Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloakie View Post
Here's my brief review:

Pros:
Apartment size
New
Relatively quiet
Close to supermarket

Cons:
Having to go downstairs to pick up guests or deliveries. The pass for the elevator is a little overkill, especially for the neighborhood.
Laundry closes at 10pm. Why not keep it open 24/7?
Commute to Manhattan sucks. Buses don't seem to like keeping schedules. That 15 minute walk to the train will probably be rough in the winter.
Patio still isn't finished. Also won't be able to BBQ on it when it is.
Occasional smell from the water treatment plant.
Rent is a bit high for the area if you're in the higher salary bracket.

I don't think they'll fill up the building this year. The cons make this place a tough sell for people not desperately looking for a new place.
Pretty much sums up what I think. I could've tolerated everything else, but the commute was the deal breaker for me. I hate it when the weather is so cold and it's "raining" ice chips and the ground is slippery or when it's snowing. I can't imagine walking 15 minutes of any of that.

My current apartment is old construction, but I am literally a 3 minute walk from the train, and a five minute walk out of the train from my job's stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,865 times
Long time reader, first time poster
I loved the apartments they showed me, but was completely puzzled why they rejected me for "income too high", when they obviously calculated my *assets* (retirement accounts and savings). There's a giant difference in the definition of "income" and "assets". I appealed it and they just repeated "your income is too high", for which my W-2 and 1040 say different. I guess they did my credit check because I didn't get the money order returned (which a previous post said would be returned if you were rejected), but I don't want to give up if this is just the questionable communication I've read about in other posts. Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 07-25-2017, 03:22 PM

189 posts, read 287,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's Girl View Post
Long time reader, first time poster
I loved the apartments they showed me, but was completely puzzled why they rejected me for "income too high", when they obviously calculated my *assets* (retirement accounts and savings). There's a giant difference in the definition of "income" and "assets". I appealed it and they just repeated "your income is too high", for which my W-2 and 1040 say different. I guess they did my credit check because I didn't get the money order returned (which a previous post said would be returned if you were rejected), but I don't want to give up if this is just the questionable communication I've read about in other posts. Has anyone else had this issue?

Have you tried contacting the HPD???

Affordable housing hotline
212-863-7990
hpdcompliance@hpd.nyc.gov

Also.read the handbook - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Maybe that will give you some insight

Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,865 times
Thanks! I'll give them a call today!
I have the public version of the handbook ([url="http://www.nychdc.com/content/pdf/ProjectAdvertisements/Income%20Guide.pdf"] ) which doesn't seem to include the info in your link about Asset Limits for Applicants of Rental Units (can't have assets more than the total income limit for a family of four or something like that). It really would be helpful to have known before I started the process that I would be denied just because my retirement accounts have done marginally well

Old 07-28-2017, 05:22 AM

126 posts, read 169,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilracenaj View Post
Hi plbplb

Thank you for answering me. Im referring to how much was it when you guys were using the heat during Feb when you moved? I was hoping it wouldnt be outrageous. I just viewed the apartments today. We will be neighbors soon everything seems to be great. I just dont want to be surprised with the electric bill for heat usage. We have never paid for Heat before thats why Im curious. Thanks for your response in advance.

Just catching up on this thread. It's funny because back in February everyone gave conflicting answers regarding the heat, including Langsam and Gerard the superintendent. My bill for february-March when the heat was on practically every day was 40$. This seemed low for electric heat so I did some research on our PTAC units in the apartment. The heat is passive. It is hydronic. Gerard initially told me that I can control the electric heat through the thermostat but It wasn't until summer when I found out my thermostat was completely useless that the little light bulb went off in my head. Bottom line is, we don't pay for heat. Everyone will tell you a different story but all you have to do is look up the model number of the PTAC unit find the manual online and you can see for yourself how it works. There is no electric heat on these units, they are hydronic (steam/hot water)

Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
Just catching up on this thread. It's funny because back in February everyone gave conflicting answers regarding the heat, including Langsam and Gerard the superintendent. My bill for february-March when the heat was on practically every day was 40$. This seemed low for electric heat so I did some research on our PTAC units in the apartment. The heat is passive. It is hydronic. Gerard initially told me that I can control the electric heat through the thermostat but It wasn't until summer when I found out my thermostat was completely useless that the little light bulb went off in my head. Bottom line is, we don't pay for heat. Everyone will tell you a different story but all you have to do is look up the model number of the PTAC unit find the manual online and you can see for yourself how it works. There is no electric heat on these units, they are hydronic (steam/hot water)
Elementary my dear friends, elementary!

Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 AM

25 posts, read 27,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
Thank you for this QUNYC!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 14,955 times
Default log # 35,000+

Hello all.. got a letter from Langsam on Saturday with my log # and to schedule an interview. Does anyone live there yet. How long from interview do you find out if you are accepted?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM

15 posts, read 14,955 times
How long from the time you interviewed that you got the approval? I have to go on Friday for interview. Thanks

Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreentbird View Post
How long from the time you interviewed that you got the approval? I have to go on Friday for interview. Thanks
About a month and a half if everything goes smoothly.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery