Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:33 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

step up from the projects meaning that its bad but since its not NYCHA, its "a step up". i thought i covered this earlier but guess i was wrong.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 PM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Yes. Staten Islanders, though represent one of the most affluent boroughs of New York City, are certainly crass and rather obnoxious.

And don't get me started if you're non-white and live on Staten Island. I've lived in major metropolitan areas most of my life. Every borough of New York except for the Bronx. New Haven, CT. Southern California (Westwood, Los Angeles) and Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area). Washington, DC. So far my brief stint living on Staten Island was akin to living in the Deep Bible Belt South, where if you ain't white, you ain't right.

Soon I'll be moving to Chicago. Perhaps it'll be as bad there, but I really just doubt that.

Having said that, however, the borough itself has a bit of a unique charm (if you took away the people). And being a former resident of L.A., it's the only thing in the area that's even remotely like the "urban sprawl" of the City of Angels.
I live on the north shore of SI and can't stand the south shore "soprano wannabes" . No offense but regarding racism on SI, i'd be more scared to be a white person living in rough parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzq2 View Post
Native Staten Islander here
"a step up from the projects" haha Park Hill is probably the worst project houses in Staten Island, but thanks for the chuckle, have never heard that before
Well, you can chuckle. I think it's attitude of SI like you is the reason that SI has it's "stigma" from the city folks. I guess it takes an outsider like to see the value of "location, location" close to the Ferry to see it's value. I don't live in Park Hill, but I have spoken to many realtors and the parts that have the old victorian homes in the hills are being purchased and being renovated. This type of change has increased real estate in many parts of the US.

It's funny to me that SI has this attitude like "you are better", but it comes off as being pretentious from low esteem. I have many friends in the city that live in CT, Westchester and the city as well and when they found out I live in SI they were shocked...I wasn't afraid to buy on SI because it was a good fit for me and my lifestyle....but I made my case, they seen my home with the view and they are truly impressed. It takes someone like me that is not afraid of "status" and see value beyond the "stigma". SI is a great location... near the Ferry is where I find those transplants from other parts of the US that see the same. Obviously, it will take outsiders to change SI. Happy to do it!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Default Moving from Brooklyn to Staten Island?

To all those Staten Island bashers and haters on these threads: It is obvious that you are all jealous and full of anger because the only part of Staten Island that you can afford to live is most likely the few ghetto areas we have. Park Hill being one of them. The South Shore of Staten Island starting on Richmond Avenue to Tottenville has many police and fire departments families, but also, many residents with very-high-incomes and educations. Staten Island has many other fine areas all over, and real estate is highly-priced. Yes, we like that way, so we can keep the ugliest people from the other boroughs away. Most people know what I mean....................

Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
To all those Staten Island bashers and haters on these threads: It is obvious that you are all jealous and full of anger because the only part of Staten Island that you can afford to live is most likely the few ghetto areas we have. Park Hill being one of them. The South Shore of Staten Island starting on Richmond Avenue to Tottenville has many police and fire departments families, but also, many residents with very-high-incomes and educations. Staten Island has many other fine areas all over, and real estate is highly-priced. Yes, we like that way, so we can keep the ugliest people from the other boroughs away. Most people know what I mean....................
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Best quote ever on this forum. You cant be serious.

Nobody is jealous of Staten Island. But it is such an inconvenience that residents waste 3-4 hours a day commuting to Manhattan, and while these parents are away, many rich kids are roaming townhouse cul de sacs pretending to be thugs. In addition to an 8 hour workday thats about 11-12 hours away from home per day = NO LIFE.

You want to talk big expensive houses...Manhattan, Westchester, Long Island, Fairfield County CT, Brooklyn, Queens, Bergen/Essex/Somerset County NJ all have bigger homes and pricier homes per square foot than Staten Island

Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 PM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
There are some ghettos on the north shore but I'll take neighborhoods like Silver Lake, Sunset Hill and Randall Manor over the south shore anyday. Its filled with too many wannabe mobsters originally from Brooklyn. As a native Islander I've seen it really go downhill in the last 10 years. Staten Island is better than the other boroughs but it is nothing to brag about.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiggy View Post
For you and your family's sake - stay away from Staten Island.

I temporarily moved there because of family reasons. I previously lived in Bay Ridge. While I firmly believe one should never generalize a group of people, etc, I must say that the majority of people who live there are uneducated, rude, and downright classless.

Do yourself a favor - save money and purchase a home elsewhere. Stay with people who know how to act in society. By way of example: last summer, a neighbor decided that her children could play basketball outside their home at 10pm at night. This awoke me from sleep (I dosed off watching TV). When this continued for a half-hour straight, I got dressed, went to the house, introduced myself to the mother of the children, and asked if they could please keep it down since it was late and I wanted to sleep because I had to get to work the next morning (this was a week-night). The response from the women - "I don't care about my neighbors."

Classless. Pure and simple.
YOU MUST HAVE BEEN in one of the few ghetto areas we have, however, I will apologize for the rudness of that person.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,030 times
No one said the Victorian Houses weren't beautiful, I'm the first one to tell people about the beautiful houses up on the hills but we are talking about the projects----its different.
I don't think i'm better than anyone, If i thought S.I. was that bad, do you think i would still be living here?? I love the Island and it's the outsiders who are pretentious and nasty know it alls
As for Park Hill, ask any native islander where to go to score drugs, that is the first place they will point you too, so don't act like you know everything there is to know about the Island. Do some research first.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
What with the neighborhoods along the north shore near the bridge to Bayonne? I drove through there maybe 6 months ago (was on a road that was almost hugging the coast) and was surprised by how run down and desolate the area looked like, and I live in the Bronx so my standards aren't exactly that high.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What with the neighborhoods along the north shore near the bridge to Bayonne? I drove through there maybe 6 months ago (was on a road that was almost hugging the coast) and was surprised by how run down and desolate the area looked like, and I live in the Bronx so my standards aren't exactly that high.
Haha that would be the grimey Richmond Ter. The Bronx is much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City