Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,720 times

Advertisements

I moved from CA and TX and I can say for the most part nYc is very safe! Sorry to say that $135 for 4 is not very high for nYc. I had a one bedroom apt in the financial district for $3400, with dog (deposit yes), and 2 cars parket ($800 per month). I would suggest to make up the difference get rid of the car (payment, insurance) and that might help with with the rent. I know that most pple have their kids in private school so I don't know about public schl. Most ny apts are not dog friendly but when you work with a broker you can tell them your requirements and they will take you there. Another suggestion I bought a house on Staten Island instead of nYc living for $750k. It is the closest to TX living, the great thing is that I have a full view of Manhatten, Brooklyn and New Jersy with 4 floors! I am 5 mins from the Ferry and the Ferry runs every 30 mins on the weekdays, free and parking the car is less then $100 a month. Check out SI...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Check out Grymes Hill and Ward Hill Staten Island

Old 02-18-2008, 03:19 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,645,936 times
Fifth Avenue is long... where is your office? If you are close to Grand Central, I would recommend Westchester. Public schools are good in many parts of Westchester and you would probably be able to afford a small townhouse.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,378,283 times
Yeah you might want to check out the suburbs for good public high schools. The best public high schools have entrance exams and the competition is FIERCE.

There are some very good local public high schools in the city, a lot of them can be found in Staten Island or Northeastern Queens (Whitestone/Bayside). However those areas of the city are fairly suburban/residential in and of themselves.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:14 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,253,564 times
Check out insidechools.org if you want to stay in NYC. You may be able to find a garden level apt with a backyard for a dog in Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, or Park Slope in Brooklyn. I have no idea what the rents are like for a 2-bedroom in those nabes.

Last edited by UpsonDowns; 02-18-2008 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: corrected web address

Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
Fifth Avenue is long... where is your office? If you are close to Grand Central, I would recommend Westchester. Public schools are good in many parts of Westchester and you would probably be able to afford a small townhouse.
I looked at Westchester when I made the decision that I needed a home with much more space, yard, pool, parking for both cars, but the problem for me was the commute. I found SI and it was just what I was looking for. If you are from TX then you are familiar with lower Greenville back in the days and then people started purchasing these homes, renovated them, and now it is one of the most "chic" places to live. On our block we have a much younger group of professionals that are transplants from all over the US and most of all the homes are under renovation. Now, I have this incredible view of NJ, the city and Brooklyn (My home is 200 ft above the sea level), I am 3 mins to the ferry and I am in the city in 25 mins. Again, Westchester is great...but the commute to the city. I like the fact the fact that I have access to the city in such a short time. Of course you need to choose a home that will fit you and your family so the more options you have the better.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 10,136 times
Default Thanks so much!

Thanks for all the great input and advice.I think I am going to go the way of commuting and the company, who is paying for my move, came back with a better package so it's all good.
Again, I appreciate the advice!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 PM

34 posts, read 86,920 times
Good luck with the move.

What you are looking for is the holy grail for most of the folks living in this area...comparative high quality of life at a modest cost.

Here is a website which gives you information on the public schools in the area.

GreatSchools.net

After finding the school district that interests you, look for housing near the school.

For Queens, Brooklyn & Long Island, you can look for housing thru this website:

MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens

Regards,

Salaryman

Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 PM

718 posts, read 2,326,978 times
At that salary Forest Hills Queens

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,326,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
U.S. middle class = cops, teachers, engineers
Manhattan middle class = bankers, doctors, lawyers
I dont know if I agree with this. I would just say the upper class in Manhattan is larger than most places, and the middle class is tiny. The correction should be that the middle class in Manhattan is poor relative to its cost of living, whereas the middle class elsewhere can get more for their dollar. Manhattan's middle class works there but for the most part does not live there. Middle class is the middle between poor/working class and white collar.

There are Manhattan doctors who make $1m+ per year and live nicely in the UES, Westchester, or Bergen County. There are average Joe bankers that make a 6 digit salary then add 150k+ in year end bonus...you call all this middle class? Come on.

Being a banker/doctor/lawyer is a whole different mentality. Banker/doctor/lawyer is the top, whether you make 200k/yr or 200 mil a year, you still have the same general atmosphere of trying to get top schools for kids, etc and all the perks of being at the top. Unless you are a Bronx DA or a bank teller, you are upper class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City