Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:49 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

I've been to the big Apple 7 different times so I know a lot in terms of what the city offers but looking for something different here.

I'm going with a friend and a big part of our trip will be focused around riding our bicycles around the city. Mostly in Manhattan but will probably venture around Dumbo/Redhook area of Brooklyn.

So because of that I need a hotel that can allow me to park my vehicle on the premise because that's where we'd probably keep the bikes locked up.

I've stayed on Staten Island twice and this has worked out. Drive to the ferry. Get on the ferry with our bikes (lower level) & make it to Manhattan.

I'm wondering if staying in New Jersey is an option as long as we are within a decent distance from the George Washington Bridge. I've rode my bike on that bridge before so I know what it's like.

Only thing is we'd still need to be able to commute into Manhattan from New Jersey without our bikes too. So maybe a PATH train? Not sure how close hotels are to those stations.

Worse case scenario I'd just have to stay in ST again. Just by doing that it requires an extra 2+ hour commute to & from Manhattan.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:06 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,035 times
Airbnb is your friend, hotels might have policies about bicycles.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Airbnb is your friend, hotels might have policies about bicycles.
Yea I've used airbnb 5 times so far. I will look into that but I'm not worried about taking my bikes into the hotel. I plan on just keeping them in the back of my truck locked up. Or if I drive my SUV I'll have them in the back secured good.

Problem I had with using Airbnb last summer during my trip to NYC is while parking is usually "free" it can be a pain to find parking. I had to park almost half a mile away from where I stayed in Brooklyn.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:26 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Also look at hotels in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan and near the Queensboro Bridge.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
What about a secure bike-only garage like this? And then stay at a hotel nearby?

http://nycvelo.com/2015/02/26/nycs-l...arking-garage/

Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Also look at hotels in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan and near the Queensboro Bridge.
I second this. Can't beat those prices over there and you're only one or two stops away from Manhattan and the G train takes you right to Brooklyn.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Yea I've used airbnb 5 times so far. I will look into that but I'm not worried about taking my bikes into the hotel. I plan on just keeping them in the back of my truck locked up. Or if I drive my SUV I'll have them in the back secured good.

Problem I had with using Airbnb last summer during my trip to NYC is while parking is usually "free" it can be a pain to find parking. I had to park almost half a mile away from where I stayed in Brooklyn.
Thats nothing some people have further to walk then that to the subway daily. Half mile is a quick 7-10 minute walk.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thats nothing some people have further to walk then that to the subway daily. Half mile is a quick 7-10 minute walk.
I can walk all day. It's the fact that I'd prefer to have my vehicle relatively close to me.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What about a secure bike-only garage like this? And then stay at a hotel nearby?

http://nycvelo.com/2015/02/26/nycs-l...arking-garage/

WOW! That alone is worth making this post. Hours from 8 am to 9 pm. That window of time should be plenty of time to use it during the day.

Have you used this or anybody else? Also def worth the price.

I'm very interested in this even if we stay in Staten Island again because we could end our biking when it starts getting dark and still stay in the city instead of taking it back to the car.
Thanks for posting this!

Old 09-03-2016, 08:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
WOW! That alone is worth making this post. Hours from 8 am to 9 pm. That window of time should be plenty of time to use it during the day.

Have you used this or anybody else? Also def worth the price.

I'm very interested in this even if we stay in Staten Island again because we could end our biking when it starts getting dark and still stay in the city instead of taking it back to the car.
Thanks for posting this!
Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with this place. It just occurred to me that the problem you were describing in your post was a need for a place to put your bike, not necessarily your SUV, so I googled it and came up with this place. You might just try giving them a call. Good luck with your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City