Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:57 PM

125 posts, read 363,862 times

Advertisements

Mayor de Blasio Announces Revised Affordable Housing Lottery Rules | City of New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 02:59 PM

The problem is that she never had a credit card or took out a loan, therefore no credit history which is put in the same category as bad credit

Old 12-09-2016, 03:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Is she the only person in the household? I assume you are part of the household? I assume your credit is over 580. Does she pay any bills at all, telephone, utilities, cable TV, etc.? Is she on time with the bills?

If so, I would fight this. I would start with my local city councilperson and go from there.

Did you get any instructions on how to appeal?

Old 12-09-2016, 03:29 PM

Thank you for the advice. Yes, my credit score is nearly 700 and I do live with her.

Yes, I have 10 days from the date on the letter to appeal

As soon as final exams are over I'm contacting my council person if I find out that these new credit laws are already in effect

Old 12-09-2016, 05:54 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
I think this needs to be thought through a bit more. Just one 80/20 building going the way of say Tracey towers and you'll never have another developer work with the city again. I support affordable housing but not housing people who will drag down a community. Home visits can be easily gamed, so I do think it was worth dropping it, but having a history of bad credit is not a good sign.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:04 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
I do not think this is a good thing. All low/moderately income people are not created equal. Why would any person pay market rate to live in a building where the standards of obtaining an apartment are so low? Where I live, you must make a certain salary and have good credit. No exceptions! It really makes a difference. No loud music, unsupervised brats running around and people hanging out. It really makes a difference.

Last edited by goodlife36; 12-09-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_perry View Post
Thank you for the advice. Yes, my credit score is nearly 700 and I do live with her.

Yes, I have 10 days from the date on the letter to appeal

As soon as final exams are over I'm contacting my council person if I find out that these new credit laws are already in effect
Have a look at pages 50-52 here: http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...g-handbook.pdf

They can't reject someone based on credit score alone, they need to have another reason listed in the handbook.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:27 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
Did anyone see the news yesterday? Getting an affordable apartment will be easier. You can't be rejected SOLELY because of credit, and the infamous home visits are GONE!

New affordable housing lottery guidelines unveiled by NYC officials | am New York

Hope these new rules apply to BOTH housing connect 80/20 listings, as well as Mitchell Lama buildings. Sounds like they do.

Good luck everyone! Keep playing the housing lottery. Eventually you'll WIN!!!!
Before I post, please excuse my ignorance. When you say affordable housing, does this mean apartments where there is a price ceiling or section 8 housing?

Also, what is 80/20 listings/Mitchell Lama buildings? I have always been curious how people get apartments that have rent control. Maybe I should do some research. I would like to know which boroughs provide the most support when it comes to this affordable housing and what exactly they look for in applicants.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
quote:
They can't reject someone based on credit score alone, they need to have another reason listed in the handbook.

Doesn't matter what you credit score is these days. It's going to be a need-based system. Hey people renting those expensive apartments? You sniff that funky smell? HEY! It's your new homeless neighbors living in 4A! Perhaps you will become BFF's in the Yoga Room :/

Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 AM

444 posts, read 387,753 times
My boyfriend's sister just had to go through a home visit for a Mitchell Lama apartment. She was on the wait list for 5 years he said.

I always thought home visits were to make sure the applicant lived at the address that had been provided in addition to seeing how they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery