Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM

23 posts, read 29,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Midwest is calling you!

How is the job market in the Midwest? What are some states that you consider good? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
If your brother can contribute to the household, that would help your circumstances. Im sure you already know that.

Im a true believer, you shouldn't move anywhere out of the state if you don't have a job already lined up. And it is 10 times harder to find a job in another state when you don't live there, its hard to find a decent job anywhere without connections. Have you asked your job about a transfer, if there are any positions available elsewhere?

Most New Yorkers, end up moving upstate NY, or other tristate areas, PA. If you really want a change, Florida and the carolinas have cheap living but you have to be sure both you and your brother can get a job. And if he can't get a job in NYC not sure how better off he will be down there.

Thank you, I am continuously checking with my company to see what transfer options are available. I have seen so many people relocate to places like Florida just to come right back when it didn't work out due to the bad job market.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Check out rents and property values on Zillow, most cities that aren't New York City have dirt cheap apartments in comparison.

That is actually a habit of mine, however, I am so afraid of not finding a job.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Join the National Guard or when you have free time, teach yourself how to code. Once you learn enough skills to code, you can freelance for money online or might be lucky enough to land a junior developer job. Possibly enroll in a "coding bootcamp." I see that NYC has a strong Tech job market.

I am intimidated about coding, is that something that you have done before, teaching yourself how to code? Is that an option for someone who is not good at math?

I have flirted with the idea of joining the National Guard and decided against it because I might be deployed and I cannot due to my mom.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,490,104 times
poconos. you'll still have to commute to nyc for your job. florida and the rest of the south have no jobs. that's why the northeast is so dense.

go back to school and go into IT. IT is the future.

the other option is to become a nurse

Old 10-17-2016, 03:07 PM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Ask your bro to look into HVAC?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:40 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
I don't get why people are telling her brother to look into getting a trade. He will have to pay for trade school, how will he do that without a job???

What is the highest level of schooling that ur brother has completed? Tell him to go on the city jobs website Jobs Home | City of New York and submit his resume to the listing based on what type of education he has completed. The city has jobs up that you don't have to take a test and pay a fee for.

This city is so expensive, the Brooklyn Nets can't even afford to live in Brooklyn. Best of luck.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2016, 06:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,264,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatenycha View Post
How is the job market in the Midwest? What are some states that you consider good? Thank you!
Very good in places. I think Sioux City (don't laugh) has one of the lowest unemployment rates, along with Omaha. And unlike other good job markets, real estate is cheap and public services such as schools are good. Florida is definitely a bait and switch: cheap housing, but no jobs. Texas is better for jobs, but services are lacking.

If you want to make more money, pay less rent, and live a better life, you have to trade weather and attractions. The Midwest is cold and boring, so that drives away the rich people. At the same time, it has a history of social cohesion and public education similar to the northeast. The economy is prosperous outside the Rust Belt cities because of the latent agricultural and resource economies, and increasingly because of the good educational infrastructure.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'd head for PA. Philly is dirt cheap for a big US city and the job market is pretty good. Just try to stay away from the inner city parts and stick to the suburbs.
So true. I have been looking at homes in pa. You can actually buy homes for under $100k. Some places half that!! With schools rated 6 and 7. Any job will pay a $700 monthly mortgage.

Rental prices are also super cheap.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't get why people are telling her brother to look into getting a trade. He will have to pay for trade school, how will he do that without a job???

What is the highest level of schooling that ur brother has completed? Tell him to go on the city jobs website Jobs Home | City of New York and submit his resume to the listing based on what type of education he has completed. The city has jobs up that you don't have to take a test and pay a fee for.

This city is so expensive, the Brooklyn Nets can't even afford to live in Brooklyn. Best of luck.

If he is an adult and unemployed he can get grants and financial aide to pay for training if he is attending a community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City