Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:06 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Very true. Sometimes the transplants tend to become bitter after some time as well.

Most natives I know can't wait to leave lol. I can only think of one person that is a native that hails NYC as the best city in the world and he's 40 years old, still living at home with parents, and extremely immature....LOL.
Seriously, this has pretty much been my experience exactly! Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 01:09 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Seriously, this has pretty much been my experience exactly! Haha
LOL. me and my co-worker (both born and raised here) talk about it all the time...stuck here for the time being.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
I'm a transplant myself, but I have to agree it does seem that the people who tend to view NYC as "magic" tend to be starry-eyed transplants. They're also the ones that most arduously defend NYC as the ultimate flawless bestest place ever that makes every other city look like a joke. If you notice in the CvC forums the most obnoxious ones on here with regards to repping NYC are the transplants or wannabe residents who've visited.

Natives tend to be chill. They'll often be loyal to the city but not putting it on a pedestal. I don't know, that's just my personal experience.
That's pretty true. I've only been here since July, but I think having spent 7 months here as a visitor over the years kind of calmed things for me. I'm not in the honeymoon phase, but NYC truly is the best place in this country for me. That I think is different from calling it the best city in the world.

I got into a normal routine shortly after moving here. Being acquainted with NYC beforehand certainly helped with that...instead of being a transplant who is experiencing city life for the first time, or is seeing NYC through new eyes.

When I lived in Sydney, I'd say I had a bit of a honeymoon phase there...but not here in NYC.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM
PDF

Quote:
LOL. me and my co-worker (both born and raised here) talk about it all the time...stuck here for the time being.
Why are you stuck here? In general, though, I do think transplants get more out of a place than natives do. That goes for anywhere...not just NYC.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:25 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Hmm... I've been here for ca. 3 years. My wife loves it, and I love it, so we're staying longer, I think...

Before, I did:
- 6 months in Montreal
- Roughly 15 years in Paris (with 2 years in Darmstadt)
- 15 years in Africa (Yaounde, Douala, Lome, Conakry)

I did travel to many cities in the world too, for both work or leisure.

I don't think NYC is that special, no offence, especially if you come from Europe.

But it's still a very nice city, and you can enjoy even more when you have the means to do so.
Which is a big difference, in any city in the world, for that matter.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why are you stuck here? In general, though, I do think transplants get more out of a place than natives do. That goes for anywhere...not just NYC.
Stuck because of family..work and finances..

Old 10-28-2016, 07:53 PM
PDF

Quote:
Stuck because of family..work and finances..
Not a bad place to be stuck in.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:43 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Native New Yorker who has seen all the changes over the years. I take advantage of the Met Opera, the museums and so forth. But there's no magic for me. I prefer fresh, clean air. I prefer seeing actual stars in the night sky than on the screen in the planetarium.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:50 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Going on 30 years and still loving New York. Some times when I return from out of town I literally feel like getting down and kissing the pavement.
Same here.

I know plenty of natives that like living in NYC. We're not enamored of the city in the same way transplants are for whom NYC is Manhattan below 34th and a few neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens.

I actually don't know of many natives who want to leave. Many may say they want to leave but few do.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:01 PM

252 posts, read 607,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Once you settle in and start looking at what's left of your paycheck after everything is paid. Then next year when you do your taxes you realize you have to file 3 pieces of tax form then you might take a hard look at your finances and see if the city still worth it.
Lol! I absolutely love this answer..so true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City