Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 AM

181 posts, read 190,740 times

Advertisements

How do you Native NYCer's feel about "Piano District?"
Isn't that your worst nightmare, seeing transplants coming into your city and changing neighborhoods the way they see fit? Even though some would think "Downtown Bronx" would fit that part of Bronx (and surrounding neighborhoods) better, but that's a different issue.

https://m.mic.com/articles/128862/me...ers#.CCHz5mpU2

Does it grind your gears that much, seeing new comers buy/rent these newly built condo/apts in gentrifying neighborhoods? How much are you all going to complain when you see class A office buildings and high-rise luxury Apts/Condo's being built up on the Bronx's waterfront?

"Live in Luxury By The Water."

"Now Selling Condo's Starting At 600K."

"Bronx New Luxury High-Rises With Panoramic Views Of Manhattan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 04:48 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Isn't that your worst nightmare, seeing transplants coming into your city and changing neighborhoods the way they see fit? Even though some would think "Downtown Bronx" would fit that part of Bronx (and surrounding neighborhoods) better, but that's a different issue.

Does it grind your gears that much, seeing new comers buy/rent these newly built condo/apts in gentrifying neighborhoods? How much are you all going to complain when you see class A office buildings and high-rise luxury Apts/Condo's being built up on the Bronx's waterfront?

I live in The Bronx and it doesn't bother me at all. Most of The South Bronx is still a horror show and needs to be cleaned up.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:52 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
I wasn't born in this city, but my ancestors were turning the forests of New England and Virginia into farms when King Charles l still had his head attached to his neck. As far as I'm concerned "your" city is in the middle of my country, and I'm busy gentrifying the heck out of it. #thetimeoftheBronxhascome

Old 10-28-2016, 11:19 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
They need an Apple Store and white homeless people in the Piano District to consider it gentrified.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post

You know the Bronx used to be mostly nice family neighborhoods before Robert Moses slashed it up with huge expressways and brought the ghetto to the Bronx on an industrial scale

Old 10-28-2016, 09:16 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
They can do what they want to the south bronx but they can not call it the piano district and expect people to respect it.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
It's great. The Bronx is untapped. If the Bronx actually starts to gentrify it should help bring down market rate rents across the city.

The South Bronx and the Bronx east of Webster Ave may have the best (most reliable, quickest) transit access in all of NYC outside of Manhattan.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They need an Apple Store and white homeless people in the Piano District to consider it gentrified.
You forgot Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:36 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You forgot Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
When a TJ and/or a WF shows up, it's a done deal. They don't create gentrification in NYC, they profit from it by filling a need.

TJ's is notoriously conservative about opening up new locations as it is.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:58 PM

48 posts, read 92,577 times
The word gentrification is such a loaded term these days. The question I would pose is whether the South Bronx (Mott Haven) is becoming a more affluent neighborhood? Nobody is ever able to answer that question. Are rents increasing? Yes. Rents are up across the board all over the city. Over the past 10 years only 3 neighborhoods have moved backwards in terms of rent costs (Bay Ridge, Canarsie, & South Shore). In other words Brownsville is gentrifying like crazy guys! How come hipsters moving to East New York is never a topic on this forum?

The Piano District remains a wildly fanatical bet that every neighborhood should gentrify and that Midtown East professionals will choose the South Bronx over Long Island City abet at the same price point of entry.

I don't buy it. Millennials will continue to move deeper into Brooklyn, eastern into Queens, Northern into Manhattan & Harlem, onto the waterfront of Staten Island, and don't forget Jersey City in NJ. I know people in the Bronx want it to 'gentrify' so badly but be careful what you wish for. The biggest cheerleaders for this change are the ones least likely to be able to afford its speculative transformation (expect for maybe the politicians and public officials). Unless you have some sort financial or commercial interests tied to the borough - I don't see why you even care whether it 'gentrifies' or not. If you truly want to experience the rest of the city's rapid transformation, why don't you just move to the other 3 boroughs, where it's happening right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City