Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM

36 posts, read 93,374 times

Advertisements

I'm 18 and going to college on the Upper East Side. I've been to NYC countless times b/c the fam has an apartment there. I'm a really social girl and I love partying. Money is no object. I'll be renting with a friend. Should I keep commute easy and rent on the UES, or live someplace funky like SoHo or the Village.

Thanks (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM

112 posts, read 325,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lauren View Post
I'm 18 and going to college on the Upper East Side. I've been to NYC countless times b/c the fam has an apartment there. I'm a really social girl and I love partying. Money is no object. I'll be renting with a friend. Should I keep commute easy and rent on the UES, or live someplace funky like SoHo or the Village.

Thanks (:
Sweetie, a young, hard-partying girl as yourself should be somewhere more chic and trendy like downtown. SoHo and the Village are good choices.

When you decide to settle down, the Upper East Side would be fab. For now, I don't think you'd have much in common with the older, Hermes carrying, Chanel and Brioni clad Upper East Side set.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Sweetie, a young, hard-partying girl as yourself should be somewhere more chic and trendy like downtown. SoHo and the Village are good choices.

When you decide to settle down, the Upper East Side would be fab. For now, I don't think you'd have much in common with the older, Hermes carrying, Chanel and Brioni clad Upper East Side set.
I don't hard-party. I like to go out a few times a week, but my focus is on school.

I agree. My Grandmother lives on the UES and I think it'd be a great place to live later.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
How times change! When I was in college there was no TIME for 'going out' in the evening. But to each his own.

If money's no object, by all means, live wherever you please! Only YOU can decide how you feel about commuting!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If money's no object, by all means, live wherever you please! Only YOU can decide how you feel about commuting!
My roomate will be attending NYU. My school's up in the 70's.
I think it'd be somewhat "unfair" to live a few blocks away from school, then have her commute a 20-30 mins.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM

If you live near Marymount or Hunter the nearest subway is the Lexington Avenue line. A true nightmare in the morning. Just ask anyone who's been unable to get onto a downtown train because they're so crammed. It's a LITTLE better on uptown side. It's NOT 20/30 minutes in the mornings to the Village.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
If you live near Marymount or Hunter the nearest subway is the Lexington Avenue line. A true nightmare in the morning. Just ask anyone who's been unable to get onto a downtown train because they're so crammed. It's a LITTLE better on uptown side. It's NOT 20/30 minutes in the mornings to the Village.
I was just estimating the time.

So you recommend renting on the Upper East?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM

I honestly think you'd be better off in the Midtown area maybe in the 30s. No, it's not exciting, but it won't be torture for either of you.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I honestly think you'd be better off in the Midtown area maybe in the 30s. No, it's not exciting, but it won't be torture for either of you.
Thanks for your help, honestly.

She's more party-hardy, and I'm more focused on school.
Maybe Midtown'll be the best.
I just haven't hear anything great about it though.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:52 PM

You say you've been to Manhattan 'countless times.' You obviously live nearby. Why not walk around and look at Midtown? If you've never lived on your own, had to cope with rent/maintenance, paying monthly bills, day-to-day annoyances of life (the cable is on the fritz, there's a leak from upstairs or a steam pipe, the neighbors sound like Babar and Celeste walking upstairs, holiday 'tips') you have no idea what a difference choosing for the BUILDING makes.

And if it means living in a less 'hip' area where the rents are less outrageous anyway but the super is reliable and honest versus a fashionable neighborhood where the apartments are sardine cans at obscene prices but a building staff that doesn't care because they're used to getting $50 every time they fix something for you...it's not a choice in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City