Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:47 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The lack of subway service keeps the trash to a minimum and ensures that hipster/millennial loser transplants will only ever mildly be interested in SI. Let's keep it that way.
I don't know about that...

Driving down/around Rosebank then along Bay Street into Saint George towards the ferry saw lots of new housing going up and or done already. IIRC the URUP or whatever "green" development off Bay Street is sold out or nearly.

Nearly everyone I spoke with/saw this holiday weekend said rents/housing prices for St. George, New Brighton, Stapleton, Tompkinsville, and yes, Rosebank are going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Driving down/around Rosebank then along Bay Street into Saint George towards the ferry saw lots of new housing going up and or done already. IIRC the URUP or whatever "green" development off Bay Street is sold out or nearly.

Nearly everyone I spoke with/saw this holiday weekend said rents/housing prices for St. George, New Brighton, Stapleton, Tompkinsville, and yes, Rosebank are going up.
Housing costs have been going up literally everywhere in NYC

Old 11-27-2016, 02:10 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Not surprised. Is the train that runs parrell to Hylan that bad?
Well, it runs every 30 minutes outside of rush hour, and only serves a small portion of the island (basically, the areas near Hylan Blvd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
only priviledged live on SI.. gotta pay $15 for tolls...
I think the people living in Stapleton or along some of the areas along Richmond Terrace would like a word with you....

Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Exactly, a very small part of SI, relatively close to the ferry. That's where they will stay too. Even Rosebank is a stretch but I guess they can handle only dealing with 3 stops on the train.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Not surprised. Is the train that runs parrell to Hylan that bad?
It's not bad IF your origination and destination on the East Side of the Island and are near the stations.

An analogy might be if all of Manhattan were served by the Eight Avenue Subway line.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, should they build a direct rail connection from Staten Island to Brookyn and/or Manhattan?
I think there were plans long ago for a Brooklyn-Staten Island subway line. It was scrapped though, unfortunately. I don't know how one would work between Manhattan and SI though. I think they are a bit too far away to be connected directly.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:35 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think there were plans long ago for a Brooklyn-Staten Island subway line. It was scrapped though, unfortunately. I don't know how one would work between Manhattan and SI though. I think they are a bit too far away to be connected directly.

Back when there was a railroad (B&0) on the Rock yes, there was a *plan* for train service between Brooklyn and Staten Island. That pretty much all it was as even back then the costs were dear and neither the RR and or NYC/NYS had the money. Narrows Rail Tunnel

B&O Railroad had strong presence on Staten Island for 100 years | SILive.com

Idea was to run ROW across the Narrows (where the VNB now is) and join what is now the R subway line. IIRC some shafts were dug and that was that. The project never got off the ground and a couple of other things happened.

First the Staten Island RR discontinued the ROW that went through Rosebank and onto South Beach/Wentworth avenue). STATEN ISLAND RAILWAY - Forgotten New York

And finally Robert Moses; who *hated* railroads and anything to do with them put that GD VNB right where the planned RR tunnel would have gone, *and* the bridge was not designed to handle trains. In fact the approaches on both Brooklyn and Staten Island side have steep enough gradients (IIRC) that only recently would there be trains powerful enough to get up and over the bridge.

Quite honestly even going back in the day many on SI didn't want a subway due to fears of what it would bring (over development). That feeling grew once the VNB opened and you can see what has happened since.

No subway for Staten Island. So now what? (commentary) | SILive.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_Railway

Old 11-27-2016, 06:13 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
I'm not surprised. I three personal cars for myself.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:15 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Staten Island needs a subway connection to Brooklyn and the light rail system that they have been dooing endless studies on the past 6 years must be completed.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:23 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
A better idea would be to just give Staten Island to New Jersey....at this point it just makes more sense. Then maybe they could look into expanding the PATH through the other parts of Jersey City and Bayonne, which would revitalize those areas almost overnight.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: