Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 10:22 AM

26 posts, read 95,965 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I'd like your feedback. I will soon move into an average-size, non-luxury, one-bedroom Queens apartment. The super and "his crew" are going to paint before I move in.

For all ceilings, moldings and baseboards (plus the entire kitchen and bath), I'm okay with the landlord's paint (“landlord white”).

However, in the living room, bedroom, and small foyer, I’d like to use my own paint (light colors) on the walls below the picture rail and above the baseboards (about 7ft from top to bottom).

True, I can repaint them myself after they've painted everything white (and I’ve moved in). But with my aching back, it will take me forever.

I want to approach the super –- before he begins painting anything -- about using my own colors on the walls I’ve mentioned.

Naturally, I’d buy the paint.

My question: what do you feel would be a fair cash “enhancement” to offer him, so that he might consider putting my colors on those areas instead of “landlord white.”

I've been in quite a few apartments in this building. Most have been repainted in dark colors by the occupants. Compared to most, my color preferences are tame.

The super has to paint the apartment anyway (and will be paid to do so by the management).

On the other hand, I don’t expect him to agree to my request for free. So I’m wondering what "extra" would be fair to offer – especially since I’m only asking him to swap his "landlord white" for my light-colored paints on the walls of certain rooms.

Thanks for your suggestions!

----------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 01:21 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
Why don't you simply ask him? Tell him what you want to do, make it clear you'll pay a little extra, and ask what he would charge. You can always say no thanks, or negotiate down a bit. It will take him longer to paint the colors than if he were to just slather on the white, so bear that in mind.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:42 AM

337 posts, read 424,167 times
People just aint like they used to be.. just ask the damn guy theres no need for a strategy here.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:49 AM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
just ask him? and why in the world would you offer him money for saving HIM paint?

as long as they are neutral colors that he wont have to repaint when you move, wouldn't it be in HIS interest to use free paint?

Old 12-04-2016, 12:03 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
It is usually a lot easier for the super to repaint the rooms with landlord white/grey. That way you just slap it on and done. If you approach him with other colors, he will most likely need to do two coats to make it look right. He will also have to watch the edges and use tape to make it look clean. Then he would have to worry about you not liking how he did it.

He could also get in trouble for handing over the apartment unlike it is agreed upon in the lease. If you have a rent stabilized apartment, you can demand your apartment repainted every 2 years. Does that mean he will have to go out and get these other colors every time? Too many questions to be answered.

Short story, he will most likely rebuff your request.

But hey, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe offer him a nice tip.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Just ask him, or his helpers to use your paint.

Did you pay a "fee/bribe" to the super when you got the apartment? If it was one of those type deals, he should not be charging you squat! You do want to know his painting skills, if it is just slopped on or professionally done.

anyway, don't offer money, but negotiate. $50 extra should be enough to cover the labor. If no money is asked, tip $20 anyway so the guys remember you.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:20 PM

279 posts, read 854,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly View Post
True, I can repaint them myself after they've painted everything white (and I’ve moved in). But with my aching back, it will take me forever.-
do you have any friends?..if so, give them beer and pizza and they can mostly likely help you paint it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City