Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:13 PM

181 posts, read 206,061 times

Advertisements

Recently, I have heard of people moving to the NYC area and putting down months of rent upfront. The big thing for me is I want to make sure that I don't end up back where I am relocating from. A few months ago I had a few interviews for companies in the area. I think that relocating myself first is going to guarantee me the highest probability of finding work.

I am considering doing this. It would be a roommate(s) or studio in Brooklyn or Queens. No desire to live in Manhattan again it's not worth it for me. I'm talking about 6 months-1 year of rent. I'm assuming doing that with a roommate is way more sketch.

Has anyone done this or known anyone who did that? I'm wondering if there are any legal risks/horror story potential in doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 10:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
What is the advantage in doing this? You say you don't want to end up back home, but how would this prevent that?

Old 12-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What is the advantage in doing this? You say you don't want to end up back home, but how would this prevent that?
By giving me sufficient time to find work. I didn't state in my previous post that I was planning on doing this without having a job lined up yet.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:59 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
By giving me sufficient time to find work. I didn't state in my previous post that I was planning on doing this without having a job lined up yet.
I got that part...I just meant, are you worried about not budgeting correctly? Because you would have the same outcome whether or not you paid months of rent in advance. I would think that someone moving here without a job would like to preserve their cash while looking for work.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I got that part...I just meant, are you worried about not budgeting correctly? Because you would have the same outcome whether or not you paid months of rent in advance. I would think that someone moving here without a job would like to preserve their cash while looking for work.
No, it's not the budgeting part, it's giving myself sufficient time to be without work and have housing. I'm assuming that it would be really difficult to find a place for more than a month without a job lined up unless it's a shelter.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
as a landlord i would not want months of rent in advance . it might just mean when the prepaid rent is used up i would have to evict you when you did not pay the rent .

as a landlord we want to see both an ability to pay and a good credit report showing a want to pay .

Old 12-26-2016, 04:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Most landlords will not rent to you without proof of employment. I recommend that you try the temporary housing feature on Craigslist. I did this and I was able to secure a room without a job. I think I got lucky. It is not necessary to offer to pay for rent in advance for temporary housing. I think that would work best for a person who does not have a job linked up. A commitment is not necessary.

Why did you leave NY the last time that you were here?

Good Luck!

Old 12-26-2016, 10:31 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as a landlord i would not want months of rent in advance . it might just mean when the prepaid rent is used up i would have to evict you when you did not pay the rent .

as a landlord we want to see both an ability to pay and a good credit report showing a want to pay .
How about paying a year rent in advance.i do that with every year I give the owner of the building with I live in here in the city a cashier check to him personally and he much happy with that set up it easlyer for me to do that than remembering I have to pay rent that month because of my work load and time I have for personal things some days most of my stuff is auto bill pay with my credit union account saight from the account each month and it much faster than having to deal with remembering to pay bills some days

Old 12-26-2016, 10:51 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i would never do it . anyone looking to do that raises a red flag if i don't know them . in fact in many states it is not even legal . you can't collect more than 1 month's rent and 1 month's security up front in so many states.

to be honest anyone who can't remember they have to pay the rent 1st of the month is no one i would want to consider just for health reasons alone .. it is hard enough to get good tenants who don't turn bad eventually because of illness-divorce or job loss that taking anyone that requires some bizarre terms is off the table .

Old 12-26-2016, 12:37 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would never do it . anyone looking to do that raises a red flag if i don't know them . in fact in many states it is not even legal . you can't collect more than 1 month's rent and 1 month's security up front in so many states.

to be honest anyone who can't remember they have to pay the rent 1st of the month is no one i would want to consider just for health reasons alone .. it is hard enough to get good tenants who don't turn bad eventually because of illness-divorce or job loss that taking anyone that requires some bizarre terms is off the table .
I explain to the person that it was just my of doing things and I said at the time I would be in and out of the city at diff times of the month and sometimes be gone for a few months time frame so it would much easier for me to do that way also we had a lawyer look into it and was told it was legal as long as both parties understood the fact that each month rent had to be deduct from the account as you would normal get the
payments

Like right now I'm in ca working right now because problematic person we have here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City