Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM

274 posts, read 297,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
People are still driving even with the low fares. I think raising the fares as high as some are calling for would mean even more congestion.
And the rest of us will laugh as they're stuck in traffic for hours as we zoom in a less crowded space underground. I don't own a car and rely on transit every day. Raise the fares! I rather pay for better service and to be self sufficient than beg for crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 03:47 PM

131 posts, read 99,015 times
To be honest, I've kind of given up on fighting these fare hikes. I've kind of just resolved myself to earning enough or spending differently to adjust to the hikes. :\

Old 02-17-2017, 04:45 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
And the rest of us will laugh as they're stuck in traffic for hours as we zoom in a less crowded space underground. I don't own a car and rely on transit every day. Raise the fares! I rather pay for better service and to be self sufficient than beg for crappy.
I think many people think the same. Some of those who can afford increased fares may be okay with it if there ends up being less crowding. Obviously, those who can't will oppose it.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Actually, it's the transit riders who are doing the pocket picking. They're getting a ride a well below the cost of that ride being provided.

The MTA should just bite the bullet and raise fares so that they cover at least 100% of operating costs, and at least some of the capital costs.
Has the MTA done anything to moderate costs, improve efficiency, get better value for each dollar? Are labor costs rising unchecked? If you raise prices to cover 100% now how long till their in the same boat again?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:54 PM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
I'd pay an extra dollar per swipe if the there was a cop on every car who would instantly arrest anyone who ****s or pisses on the floor or tries to scam people out of money with some fake sob story

Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Having to charge what it costs to run the system would put more pressure on them to at least try to push costs down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Has the MTA done anything to moderate costs, improve efficiency, get better value for each dollar? Are labor costs rising unchecked? If you raise prices to cover 100% now how long till their in the same boat again?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Given the fact that the system is running at or over capacity at peak times, there is no need to give people incentives to use the system. In point of fact, there's really no alternative to using the system. Given traffic and parking costs, no one is going to trade transit for driving, even at higher fares. What will happen is that people who can't afford it will be squeezed out of the city. This would be a good thing.
I know people who bicycle from Brooklyn to Manhattan to work. Depending on how far away you are, there's walking.

I always use Uber or Lyft when going to airports, and for trips that are time sensitive. And there are people that always drive. In short there are plenty of alternatives, how viable they are depends on how far you are away from work/school and where you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: