Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times

Advertisements

May I suggest talking your kid out more and having him run out all that energy at the park, playground, even walking around the neighborhood a few blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times
1) Kudos to you for caring, as many people do not.
2) you are seeing why so many families move from the city. In many ways, it's just not practical to have a 2yr old in NYC
3) Plenty of flooring solutions. Think padding almost like a gym. You can buy it in small squares to semi customize to the space. Simply google search 'apartment floor sound padding' or something along those lines.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
Op, toddlers cry, run, scream. It's natural. It's healthy. As long as he's not bouncing off the walls, stomping, throwing balls at midnight, etc., you're good. Don't put trying to be a perfect neighbor ahead of being a good parent. Start quiet time an hour earlier, at 10pm, and keep being a good parent. your toddler is at his most important stage of development, being noisy and inquisitive is natural. Don't stifle him just because your neighbors can't handle city living. If they want zero noise after 8pm, then THEY can move to the suburbs.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
We live in an apartment building and live on the first floor ( so, no neighbors below us). We have a toddler and have been living here for 2.5 years.
Toddler likes running around and running after us wherever we go. Our neighbors above us never complained until our toddler started doing this.
Quiet time is between 11 pm and 8 am.
We hear our neighbors noises but never complained because we know that noise is inevitable in apartments. We can hear footsteps and screeching of furniture even at 2 and 3 am, because that's when they go to work. We can even hear their 10 year old daughter when she's home during the summertime.
So, obviously we can hear them louder than what they hear since they're above us.
They insist on us stopping any noise at 8 pm, which is 3 hours before the quiet time. It's not possible with our toddler who doesn't sleep well and if I force toddler to sleep that early, he'll be awake and running at 2 am, which would be even worse. His little feet when running seem to make thumps that reach our neighbors ( I guess?). I tried so many ways to stop our child from running, but it's just not possible. I can't just strap him and prevent him from moving! I told him not to jump when running, but he's too young to understand this. ( the prblem is, they're bothered by his running, too, which sounds loud. I started putting him to bed by 9:30 - 10 pm, but he just cries loudly for hours and our bedroom is below our neighbor's bedroom, so I started sitting next to him by 9:30 - 10 pm and not allowing him to move or run, which is very counterproductive. I stay sitting with him for hours until he sleeps. They still insist on no noise after 8 pm and bang so loudly on their floor( our ceiling)whenever he runs.
Are we wrong for letting our child run around? We're paying rent and should be allowed to let our child run suing non quiet hours. Could they legally call the police on us?
Please, don't give any hurtful replies because I myself am clueless as to what to do and this has been giving me anxiety and sleepless nights for months and reached the point of me having crying fits and panic attacks.

What should we do? Please, only helpful answers. Thank you in advance.
Just tell them its a kid, what are you supposed to do. If that was the case, no kid would have grown up in an apartment building in NYC ever. Let me guess - gentrifying neighborhood?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 AM

139 posts, read 127,119 times
I understand how you feeling as well as the other side of the coin,since I've been in both positions.
Truthfully if you are downstairs you are putting up with much more than him. Even with someone behaving when it squeaks it squeaks plus the soundproof factor. Some places are simply built without it plus wood ages and a number of factors.. possibly including the series of seemingly weird characters you have as neighbors with their uncommon sense of rules and regulations! Are they transplants from Kentucky!? Smh

I once had this man going so insane with my footsteps even while I was constantly behaving that I ended up basically walking on my toes around to avoid confrontation and even doing that he still went off a couple of times. Awful feeling was like being a prisoner in my own space.

So losing your peace of mind plus the precious stage of your toddler is not worth it. Break the lease or wait patiently doing what you can till is over and run fast!!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
masonry walls between adjacent apartments

Masonry walls between apartments are very hard to find outside of Public Housing.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 PM

65 posts, read 74,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Woman came here for advice about the noise complaints, not her parenting skills.

All children have their unique ways, and not all fit neatly into proscribed standard regimens. Some early as toddler years if not infant have their "days and nights mixed up". Many end up growing up into adults who are night owls. Nothing wrong with this, not at all.
Thanks so much. Yes, not everyone has standard sleep schedules or can even conform to this. I've been battling this with my toddler ever since he was born. I know many moms with this problem, too.

Also, if my toddler supposedly did sleep by 8 pm, that means I'd have to sleep at that time. Why would I sleep at 8 pm just to please my neighbors? Why would I change my whole structure of living for them? They'd never do that for us or anyone else. Anyways, I bought a trampoline so my toddler can play on it, and they still bang on our ceiling about his noise while playing on the trampoline!!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You would think so, but that is not often the case.

Have several "night shift" persons in our building and they constantly are whinging about "noise" from units above, below or either side. This is during the day when the rest of the world is up and about, but they *need* to sleep. Building told them each to speak nicely to their neighbors about working something out, but declined otherwise to get involved. Who can blame them? I mean if your apartment needs work, you want to watch television, play music, etc... just when are you supposed to do this if not during the day?
Spouse also has night shift and while they do wake him up by their noise, he NEVER complained and knows it's not their fault. I can't see why they don't get this.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
May I suggest talking your kid out more and having him run out all that energy at the park, playground, even walking around the neighborhood a few blocks.
I tried that. For some reason, he stays up later and has trouble sleeping when I take him out.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. I just wish it worked for him.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Op, toddlers cry, run, scream. It's natural. It's healthy. As long as he's not bouncing off the walls, stomping, throwing balls at midnight, etc., you're good. Don't put trying to be a perfect neighbor ahead of being a good parent. Start quiet time an hour earlier, at 10pm, and keep being a good parent. your toddler is at his most important stage of development, being noisy and inquisitive is natural. Don't stifle him just because your neighbors can't handle city living. If they want zero noise after 8pm, then THEY can move to the suburbs.
Thanks so much. I'm actually making his quiet time at 9:30 pm. Still, they're banging on my ceiling after 8 pm if he moves or runs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City