Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am currently renting a studio too. I have thought about upgrading to a 1 bedroom apartment. I saw one in my development and decided to pass. I have decided to focus my efforts on buying a condo.

If you do not have any plans of buying real estate, I would recommend that you upgrade to a 1 bedroom. At you age, I would say it is time. You can afford it, right? Go for it.
My other comment was directed at the OP. Clearly if you're on the path to property ownership, don't spend money on upgrading your decoration! Be as frugal as you can to build up that down payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 02:17 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,918,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
It doesn't sound like the apartment size is the issue, it sounds like the way it's put together is the real issue and turn off (even to you it seems). Not to Ben harsh, but from what you've described, your place gives off an immature vibe. It's decorated like a 23 year old's "bachelor pad"- meaning almost like a dorm room- and not the type of home a woman would expect to see if she's dating a 42 year old financially stable man. If you're dating age appropriate women, that's probably what's going through their head. It has nothing to do with these women being gold diggers or whatever. Honest advice is to upgrade your furniture and decor first. You have the money to spend on making your place look well put together. Then, if you really think it's still necessary, you can upgrade to a larger place. If you don't have a designers eye, or are intimidated about doing a total decoration overhaul, there are inexpensive services that can help you redecorate. My friend mentioned one, and I'll try and find the name/link, but it was some type of startup interior design company that charges by the room. They charge something like $75 to put together a decoration concept for a room based on your budget and tell you what and where to buy items, and then you go out and buy the items.

I know you like to be frugal, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it's worth putting time, money and effort into quality items that you will own for a long time- especially if you can afford it! In the same way, even if one likes to bargain shop for clothing from cheap stores, one should still have a few good/well made quality items if they can afford it.

Edit: I thought it was responding to the OP. Either way, this might still apply to him too.
Agreed! As a woman, I don't care about the size of your apartment, I do care if I can be comfortable there (your couch sucks? No Netflix and chill nights for you lol), and I do care if you seem to care about your surroundings and make where you live appear to be a home. I get it. Some people don't care about that. I do.

For the record, I have a lot of Ikea furniture, and it all looks very nice. Not all of their stuff is crap - the Hemnes line is solid wood and lasts. Target also has some nice furniture, the bookcases in my living room and my desk are from their Threshold Avington line and seem quite solid. They also look very nice. There's not a plastic piece of furniture to be found in my apartment, it doesn't have to be expensive, but it does look like an adult lives there. That might be the problem. I know it would be a big problem for me.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
My male friend did not seem to care. I think it can have the opposite effect for women. The bed is right there in the open. That is not a good thing.
Well, it's your observation that I'm quoting.

A simple solution might be to get a slightly larger studio, one where you can put up a room divider of some kind (like shelves made from Kallax units?).... keep the bed out of sight, give company something else to sit on, etc...

Studio units come in a large range of sizes... could be a micro unit, or, it could be a humungous loft. Maybe you just need to move into something slightly larger... 450 sq ft or so is plenty of room to divide the studio into two "rooms".

Old 03-10-2017, 04:25 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
My other comment was directed at the OP. Clearly if you're on the path to property ownership, don't spend money on upgrading your decoration! Be as frugal as you can to build up that down payment.
Thanks!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:02 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,851 times
I understand there was some confusion between the OP and I. Based on his post, I think he should upgrade to a 1 bedroom.

My situation is different. I am a woman and the person who dropped me off is also a woman. The place is small. I get that. I thought of upgrading but I do not see the point. It does not make sense for my long term goals. Moving is also very exhausting for a single person.

My male friend never commented on the decor of my apartment. I do not think he cared. I am the one who complained about it. I am over it now. I spend most of my time out of the apartment.

I think it is a little funny that people measure maturity level based on how someone chooses to decorate his or her home. Sometimes, it is just a moment in time. Some of us actually have goals and are doing what is necessary to reach those goals. There is no free lunch.

As for IKEA, it serves its purpose but it is not going to be included in my future plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City