Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:27 AM

54 posts, read 72,461 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new apartment/condo, probably in Manhattan, but willing to look outside of that. My #1 priority is to find a place that is quiet - meaning good soundproofing between apartments (both next to me and above/below me). I found one thread on this forum that talked a bit about this, but there was debate about whether pre-war or post-war were more soundproof, so I'm confused. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 02:51 PM

6 posts, read 5,662 times
The only true way to find out if an apartment or building is quiet is to actually go and visit the place in person. Talk to the neighbors, current tenants, super, or whoever you can to try to get feedback. I would also suggest coming back at different hours to experience it for yourself. Sometimes an apartment can be quiet during the day when no one is around but loud during the evening when neighbors are home.

As far as pre-war or post-war being more quiet, it really depends on the area and the quality of construction. Pre-war brownstones are most notoriously loud in terms of neighbor/building noise. Other factors of course are important such as the windows, the directional orientation (facing back or street), positioning of the unit, high floor vs low floor, neighborhood, etc. I've experienced noise in both pre-war and post-war apartments so, again, I wouldn't make any blanket assumptions.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:04 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
You need a single family house in a quiet neighborhood. Any apartment building you buy in to, you run the risk of having noisy neighbors above you, below you, to the left of you or to the right of you.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
I am looking for a new apartment/condo, probably in Manhattan, but willing to look outside of that. My #1 priority is to find a place that is quiet - meaning good soundproofing between apartments (both next to me and above/below me). I found one thread on this forum that talked a bit about this, but there was debate about whether pre-war or post-war were more soundproof, so I'm confused. Any suggestions?
Unless you rent a place that is actually built "soundproof" it's not going to happen.

My friend rented a condo in Jersey City that was a new build and it had soundproofing.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:30 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
kill that, it isnt happening. im terribly sorry to say..................

Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Stay away from any new luxury building.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 PM

54 posts, read 72,461 times
Ugh...so I'm the OP, btw. It's a long story to explain how I ended up in the building I did, but at any rate, I got myself into a building that is like living in a frat house. I cannot believe how inconsiderate so many people are. They scream at the top of their lungs in the hallways, bang stuff around at midnight, loud parties on each weekend. Doorman is mentally disabled (literally) and is of no help when it comes to doing anything about the noise. I would really like to find an apartment or condo building where more sophisticated and mature people live. If anyone knows of areas in NYC that would fit the bill, let me know. I have no qualms about breaking my lease here, as it is out of control.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
A sine qua non is a concrete slab below you and above you. As for soundproofing between adjacent apartments usually not very good.
Only some of the projects actually used masonry walls (bricks and cinder blocks) which are the very best sound proofing.

Shy clear of 5 story walk-ups and the very newest rentals which often use very thin drywall.
Remove an electrical switch plate and try to get an idea of the drywall thickness: 3/4 inch is great, 5/8 is okay. Half inch and less will let you hear your neighbors.
Of course REAL plaster over wooden lath is wonderful but you are nor likely to find that except in the oldest buildings.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
Ugh...so I'm the OP, btw. It's a long story to explain how I ended up in the building I did, but at any rate, I got myself into a building that is like living in a frat house. I cannot believe how inconsiderate so many people are. They scream at the top of their lungs in the hallways, bang stuff around at midnight, loud parties on each weekend. Doorman is mentally disabled (literally) and is of no help when it comes to doing anything about the noise. I would really like to find an apartment or condo building where more sophisticated and mature people live. If anyone knows of areas in NYC that would fit the bill, let me know. I have no qualms about breaking my lease here, as it is out of control.
What neighborhood are you in now?

Old 04-09-2017, 06:20 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Hate to throw in yet another factor but the floor plan of the building can also be an important factor if you are seeking quietude. Every room has to be analyzed. For instance, I chose a back of the building facing apartment in a very solid pre war building. That goes a long way but it is not the end of the story. Lucky for me my building is sectioned with a 1 foot thick masonry wall running up the middle with separate elevators for each side. Luckily, my apartment is one of only 2 on each floor that is positioned aside this masonry fire wall. On the opposite side of my apartment is an elevator shaft and a hallway. Other 2 side are virtually all windows. I have absolutely no noise on any side except what comes from outside if the windows are open.

With a little effort you can usually find building floor plans online that show the plan of the building and you can see whether there are thick interior walls and whether there is another bedroom or a living room on the other side of your bedroom wall.Obviously, if you are really concerned about noise...especially for sleeping purposes, it is much better to have your bedroom surrounded by other rooms of your own apartment, thick brick walls , elevator shafts, etc rather than by someone else's living room.

Here is one resource for building plans. There are others out there. Obviously not every building in the city is searchable but many are. New York Real Estate Brochures Collection: Pages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City