Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 11:00 AM

126 posts, read 156,972 times

Advertisements

I live in a 3-bedroom house/brownstone and the roommate who handles the bills said that he had to pay extra fees last month because of overuse of gas and electricity.

I'm guessing the heater got used quite a lot, which I almost never blow up because I'm a freak and prefer being cold. We're in a constant fight between me setting the temperature at 64 and the others setting it at 74.

I never cook, so I don't use gas. Also, there's a roommate who's ALWAYS in the house because he works from home.

It just seems a little unfair that I have to pay more than $50 for utilities when they were supposed to be included in the rent.

Am I being selfish here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 AM

85 posts, read 87,311 times
National Grid raised rates last month so it may not be just because someone upped the heat. My bill went up also and we didn't change the thermostat.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:35 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,245,095 times
Yes you are being selfish.
If your arguing a few more bucks for one month then perhaps consider living alone and paying the full bills yourself.
When you live with roommates everything is being split. You are 3 people in an apt, you split bills 3 ways.
Years ago I lived with a roommate a traveled for work all the time, one month I was gone the whole mont.
I didn't say I wasn't home I shouldn't pay half of the cable and con ed.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,620,275 times
I had this issue too, a reason why I chose to live alone haha. I like having complete control over my expenses, even if my expenses are more (which ironically, they dropped 300%).

Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
You're not be selfish - you're being unrealistic. I hope that before the "fight," you tried to have a reasonable discussion, pointing out about the at-home roommate.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,918,066 times
OP, do you have a proposed solution? What formula would you consider to be fair for the split? Have you tried speaking to both of your roommates about this? If you're complaining but not offering resolution, it's generally not going to get anywhere.

For the record, my opinion is that in a roommate situation, gas & electric should be split eqyually, unless maybe in summer months if one rommate has AC whereas others do not (but that should all be discussed and worked out in advance). Cable is easier to split because if one roomie doesn't have a box or watch it, etc...

Another vote for living alone. I hate how much my electric bill is, but there are no arguments about usage. The amount of my cable bill annoyed me, so I got a FireStick and lowered my plan.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM

105 posts, read 90,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackswastedlife View Post
I live in a 3-bedroom house/brownstone and the roommate who handles the bills said that he had to pay extra fees last month because of overuse of gas and electricity.

I'm guessing the heater got used quite a lot, which I almost never blow up because I'm a freak and prefer being cold. We're in a constant fight between me setting the temperature at 64 and the others setting it at 74.

I never cook, so I don't use gas. Also, there's a roommate who's ALWAYS in the house because he works from home.

It just seems a little unfair that I have to pay more than $50 for utilities when they were supposed to be included in the rent.

Am I being selfish here?

What did you guys agree upon when renting? If roommate said utilities were included in the beginning, then you should mention that. Otherwise sit down and have a reasonable discussion. My suggestion is to divide up all the shared utility evenly on a go forward basis and ask him to drop your portion of the rent if all utilities were supposed to be included initially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City