Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 PM

46 posts, read 63,945 times

Advertisements

This is ridiculous!! If people are here illegally then the only thing we should be helping them with is a plan to get home. We have too many problems of our own that need to be fixed before taking care of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times
Yes, illegal aliens have constitutional rights | TheHill

"These words, from Section One of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution rank along with the Constitution's Bill of Rights as — in these precincts — the most important in world and American history:

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

So the reason why no Republican president rounds up hordes of illegal immigrants is because they cannot do so due to the constitution. Specifically due to the 14th amendment which ended slavery. That portion of the 14th amendment I quoted said all persons must receive due process, and this is both federal and state.

So any Republican president who claims he is going to just round up undocumented immigrants is lying. They would need a constitutional amendment to deprive them of due process, and that would require a 2/3rds majority in both houses, as well as 3/4ths of the states to ratify it. Trump isn't a dumb man, and he knew at least some of the stuff he said he was going to do would be blocked by Congress and the courts. The founders of the constitution had separation of powers for a reason.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,505,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh yes it does!

Few if any other major American urban areas or states roll out the red carpet for illegals same as New York. Well California does and you can see what that has got them and where the place is going fiscally.

Illegals here live the life of Riley. Free public schools, free textbooks and other supplies, free lady's days supplies, free healthcare including major hospitalization (a large portion of the HHC patient base are illegals), and so it goes.
I was referring to a Supreme Court decision from 1896.

And yes, pretty much all kids in the whole country get to go to public school free of charge. But if I'm not mistaken, school is paid for by property tax, which illegal immigrants pay indirectly via their landlords.

As for healthcare, pretty much every developed country in the world has government healthcare for everyone, but if you don't think that illegals immigrants' healthcare should be subsidized in any way, maybe there could be a system set up that they can pay into.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDreamer View Post
This is ridiculous!! If people are here illegally then the only thing we should be helping them with is a plan to get home. We have too many problems of our own that need to be fixed before taking care of others.
I see conservatives say this a lot, yet they don't seem very sympathetic to the homeless. Pierrepont specifically mentioned our homeless yet I'm pretty sure he would complain if de Blasio were to spend any more money on them.

Conservatives in general seem to be upset when de Blasio spends money on the homeless.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:32 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,571,168 times
I think the minimum wage SHOULD be $15 an hour. You spend more on subsidizing those already here working fast food and Walmart jobs, your tax money goes into the CEO and rich shareholders' pockets of those places every year. But I also believe illegals should be kicked out, every single last one of them. And I'm a staunch Democrat. If I can't move to Canada, you can't move here. This myth that they are all hard workers being ripped apart from their families is crap. I lived in Washington Heights and can tell you at least half of them would never work a legitimate job, never mind being respectful or learning English or proper sanitation methods. They can get on the next inner tube out of here as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick and tired of them getting high at 6 a.m. for $300 a month rent in the same apartment I pay $2000 for while I bust my ass and subsidize them. Then they have the nerve to have an attitude on top of it. I've thought many times about punching them in the face with brass knuckles, that's how much I despise some of them. When you work 70+ hours a week and come home and have them sexually harass you that's the way you feel. When you have to have the exterminator out on a monthly basis and your apartment is still roach infested to the brim because they can't figure out what bleach is or how to take out a bag of garbage. But they sure can breed! Thanks Uncle Sam!

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 04-15-2017 at 12:45 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,013,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think the minimum wage SHOULD be $15 an hour. You spend more on subsidizing those already here working fast food and Walmart jobs, your tax money goes into the CEO and rich shareholders' pockets of those places every year. But I also believe illegals should be kicked out, every single last one of them. And I'm a staunch Democrat. If I can't move to Canada, you can't move here. Adios amigos!
Sadly the minimum wage should be $25 an hour for NYC. That's about the minimum you would need to be able to reasonably sustain supporting yourself in the OUTER BOROUGHS. Less than that you're going to have to live multiple people to an apartments. Ooops there are more immigrants (especially illegals) willing to do that long term than Americans.

NYC, LA, and certain other big cities would collapse without immigrants, unless these businesses figured out how to pay a lot more money on the books.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I think the minimum wage SHOULD be $15 an hour. You spend more on subsidizing those already here working fast food and Walmart jobs, your tax money goes into the CEO and rich shareholders' pockets of those places every year. But I also believe illegals should be kicked out, every single last one of them. And I'm a staunch Democrat. If I can't move to Canada, you can't move here. This myth that they are all hard workers being ripped apart from their families is crap. I lived in Washington Heights and can tell you at least half of them would never work a legitimate job, never mind being respectful or learning English or proper sanitation methods. They can get on the next inner tube out of here as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick and tired of them getting high at 6 a.m. for $300 a month rent in the same apartment I pay $2000 for while I bust my ass and subsidize them. Then they have the nerve to have an attitude on top of it. I've thought many times about punching them in the face with brass knuckles, that's how much I despise some of them. When you work 70+ hours a week and come home and have them sexually harass you that's the way you feel. When you have to have the exterminator out on a monthly basis and your apartment is still roach infested to the brim because they can't figure out what bleach is or how to take out a bag of garbage. But they sure can breed! Thanks Uncle Sam!
Just because they're brown doesn't mean they're immigrants. And just because they're brown and exhibit behavior you don't like doesn't mean they're paying 300 dollars a month for their apartment. The only people paying that little in NYC would either be in NYCHA or have some insanely favorable rent control, both of which would likely indicate being born in the US.

Also it's not like every neighborhood in NYC with a lot of illegals is like that. It sounds more like a Washington Heights and maybe West Bronx thing.

Last edited by l1995; 04-15-2017 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 05:09 AM

151 posts, read 154,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There's no question that illegal immigration has gotten out of control. There's too much money at risk for too many people. Given the amount of money coming into this country from drug traffickers and the like, this is even more of a reason why we must step up control over our borders and also come up with a comprehensive LEGAL policy for immigrants. I don't think it's fair that we have people paying a mini fortune to get their turn in line legally to then be bypassed by all of these illegal immigrants coming in. It makes a mockery of our system, and I'm sure it has people wanting to come here legally questioning why they should even bother when others clearly aren't doing so.

The fact that we have so many people re-entering illegally just shows that our borders aren't strong enough and that we have to deplore more resources to strengthen them (that includes our border with Canada because we have plenty of people sneaking in through the Canadian border too). I get why they're coming here. I've been studying the reasons going back to my years in college. I was opposed to it then and I'm still opposed to it because as an American I have lived in other people's countries lawfully and have entered legally, and the liberties being taken by these folks puts tons of others at risk.

You talk about how illegal immigrants are being paid under the table. There's no question about that. That's another problem. Wages will continue to be suppressed here when we have people with less education and less skill set willing to do jobs for much less. The construction industry is a perfect example. A union guy can't compete with someone being paid under the table. It's impossible, but people will say that only undocumented immigrants want to do hard labor. That's definitely not the case. It's just a question of it not being worth it anymore.

You seem to think most illegal immigrants are coming in hoards across the border. No.

Less education and less skill set? I'm literally cackling.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:16 AM

151 posts, read 154,772 times
Quote:

Sounds like you're being taken for 2k in a ****ty apartment. Blame NYC and yourself.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 AM

46 posts, read 63,945 times
What kills me is that illegals come here and get the BEST healthcare, meanwhile we have people dying because the can't afford healthcare or seniors not able to afford their medication. The government needs to stop funding illegal immigrants and letting them get too comfortable here. As Americans, we can't just go to another country and decide we're going to stay and use up their resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: