Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I see conservatives say this a lot, yet they don't seem very sympathetic to the homeless. Pierrepont specifically mentioned our homeless yet I'm pretty sure he would complain if de Blasio were to spend any more money on them.

Conservatives in general seem to be upset when de Blasio spends money on the homeless.
He also complaints about the push to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour. He doesn't want to pay Americans a realistic minimum wage, and is upset businesses hire illegals who live multiple people to a place because the service sector in NYC and in other big cities do not pay living wages?

If you want all Americans in those jobs in a big city like NYC you'd need to pay at least $25 an hour for them to have any realistic living standard. If not you do what businesses have done for a long time, hire immigrants who can live in crowded conditions.

And yes those who call themselves conservatives on this forum hate homeless, and hate American working poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDreamer View Post
What kills me is that illegals come here and get the BEST healthcare, meanwhile we have people dying because the can't afford healthcare or seniors not able to afford their medication. The government needs to stop funding illegal immigrants and letting them get too comfortable here. As Americans, we can't just go to another country and decide we're going to stay and use up their resources.
Are you kidding me? Illegals don't get the best healthcare, and conservatives are not in favor of healthcare for all Americans. It has been Republicans who block efforts to increase access to healthcare.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He also complaints about the push to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour. He doesn't want to pay Americans a realistic minimum wage, and is upset businesses hire illegals who live multiple people to a place because the service sector in NYC and in other big cities do not pay living wages?

If you want all Americans in those jobs in a big city like NYC you'd need to pay at least $25 an hour for them to have any realistic living standard. If not you do what businesses have done for a long time, hire immigrants who can live in crowded conditions.

And yes those who call themselves conservatives on this forum hate homeless, and hate American working poor people.
Yeah if the minimum wage isn't at a certain level in NYC then who does he think is gonna do those jobs? If he wouldn't do those jobs himself, then why would he think other Americans will?

And yeah, and they'll randomly pretend to be sympathetic to the homeless but only when discussing illegal immigration.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah if the minimum wage isn't at a certain level in NYC then who does he think is gonna do those jobs? If he wouldn't do those jobs himself, then why would he think other Americans will?

And yeah, and they'll randomly pretend to be sympathetic to the homeless but only when discussing illegal immigration.
Exactly. Aside from immigrants (especially illegal immigrants) the only Americans I really find in these rock bottom service sector jobs long term are extremely marginalized people like gays or people with prison records. Oh but these people hate the expansion of lgbt rights and hate the fact that movement against mass incarceration and police brutality has picked up.

I can't imagine things are going that well with someone who just has to sit around and just randomly be full of so much hatred. Something is seriously wrong with these people.

Aside from low wages, Americans don't want these service sector jobs due to NO health coverage and NO RETIREMENT benefits and since they are paying in cash those who do them will not even get social security in old age. That stuff isn't always important to immigrants, as though some people will have kids and raise their families here, others are just saving up money to return to their home countries where they can buy a house, go to university, etc. Or many are wiring money back home, and we both know due to the dollar exchange rate with pesos dollars go a long way throughout Latin America (Ecuador uses dollars, so they may be different.).

Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Everyone living in the US is protected by the Constitution. However, there is NO constitutional right to a public defender for an illegal immigrant. A few Democrats in Congress wants to pass a bill allowing this. As much as I believe in immigration reform, I cannot support these moves. NYC should be careful because if the federal spending cuts are severe I can see some layoffs in the civil service plus cuts to many agencies, programs and social services.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Everyone living in the US is protected by the Constitution. However, there is NO constitutional right to a public defender for an illegal immigrant. A few Democrats in Congress wants to pass a bill allowing this. As much as I believe in immigration reform, I cannot support these moves. NYC should be careful because if the federal spending cuts are severe I can see some layoffs in the civil service plus cuts to many agencies, programs and social services.
Yes there is a constitutional right to a public defender as all people must have due process in the United States.

NYC and NYS do indeed see severe layoffs. But ironically this is what the founders of the constitution envisioned. Each state is also free to set their own policies, as the federal government gets smaller. The feds could cut substantial funding to NYS, but then if they are not paying for things in the state they lose a lot of say in how the city and the state cut their business. If the federal government cuts taxes and federal spending, that's money that stays in the states including NY, and they can do what they want with it.

So let the Trump administration bring the cuts on. Besides with cuts to the NYPD (Trump has said he would cut that) arrests will go down way further (I'm against mass incarceration and the war on drugs).

Old 04-15-2017, 03:06 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Nywriterdude, question for you.

How does the American-born black community feel about illegals and sanctuary cities especially poor blacks. Do they have to compete with illegals for some of jobs that illegals take? Do they find some "liberal" politicians hypocritical with their policies especially with the lack of jobs for them since they too are american citizens? Is mass incarceration used to silence them?

Old 04-15-2017, 04:10 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC does not pay it's service sector workers well, or even on the books half the time. So unless NYC's service sector employers want to pay Americans sustainable wages on the books, much of the work will continue to be done by illegal immigrants.

The work in restaurants take out/delivery places, laundromats, hotels, and bars is mainly done by illegal immigrants, gays, and other "marginalized" people. They generally have to live multiple people to an apartment, as one cannot even live a normal working class life on so little money.

But you would never support raising that poor people earn, and so you get what you pay for. If NYC wanted to get rid of illegals they'd need a minimum wage of 25 an hour. That's clearly not going to happen, so NYC will stay a sanctuary city.
Listen, there's no way that people working in fast food restaurants should be paid $15-25/hr. There is a ceiling floor for certain jobs, and overpaying people for those jobs isn't the answer. We have tons of SKILLED jobs being unfilled by Americans. The answer is TRAIN those Americans to acquire actual skills and THEN they can earn more. Artificially inflating wages is just stupid. Nobody wins.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:19 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I think the minimum wage SHOULD be $15 an hour. You spend more on subsidizing those already here working fast food and Walmart jobs, your tax money goes into the CEO and rich shareholders' pockets of those places every year. But I also believe illegals should be kicked out, every single last one of them. And I'm a staunch Democrat. If I can't move to Canada, you can't move here. This myth that they are all hard workers being ripped apart from their families is crap. I lived in Washington Heights and can tell you at least half of them would never work a legitimate job, never mind being respectful or learning English or proper sanitation methods. They can get on the next inner tube out of here as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick and tired of them getting high at 6 a.m. for $300 a month rent in the same apartment I pay $2000 for while I bust my ass and subsidize them. Then they have the nerve to have an attitude on top of it. I've thought many times about punching them in the face with brass knuckles, that's how much I despise some of them. When you work 70+ hours a week and come home and have them sexually harass you that's the way you feel. When you have to have the exterminator out on a monthly basis and your apartment is still roach infested to the brim because they can't figure out what bleach is or how to take out a bag of garbage. But they sure can breed! Thanks Uncle Sam!
Excellent post. Agree 1000%!

Quote:
I see conservatives say this a lot, yet they don't seem very sympathetic to the homeless. Pierrepont specifically mentioned our homeless yet I'm pretty sure he would complain if de Blasio were to spend any more money on them.

Conservatives in general seem to be upset when de Blasio spends money on the homeless.
De Blasio is WASTING money putting homeless people in hotels when they could be housed in apartments for much less. Nevertheless I would rather monies go to Americans as opposed to illegals.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Nywriterdude, question for you.

How does the American-born black community feel about illegals and sanctuary cities especially poor blacks. Do they have to compete with illegals for some of jobs that illegals take? Do they find some "liberal" politicians hypocritical with their policies especially with the lack of jobs for them since they too are american citizens? Is mass incarceration used to silence them?

Keep in mind many Black Americans are not in competition with illegals for these jobs. The average person that can get a job in civil service or even retail is not in competition with illegal immigrants and probably eats at ethnic restaurants (where illegals do the work), goes to laundromats staffed by illegal immigrants, goes to bars (illegals may be doing the work there), etc.

So I definitely while SOME Black Americans would complain, there would be many Black Americans who acknowledge they are benefitting for the cheap prices they get for food, drinks, laundry/dry cleaning services due to illegal immigrants in the city.

I for one eat in ethnic restaurants because it's cheap.

Keep in mind in NYC many Black people are the children of immigrants or a lot of people have an immigrant parent or immigrants in the family. I have relatives who had children with Dominicans or Trinidadians, for example.

Keep in mind many Black New Yorkers travel to the Caribbean and South America where we're around Black people from those countries, and there would be those who identify with race more than nationality (I'm one of them) but this isn't true of all African Americans. By looking at me, no one would know my nationality (you can see I'm Black) and I never have any problems when I'm in Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Brazil, etc. This of course is not to say that there aren't any African Americans who are prejudiced towards immigrants, because some are. But in metro NYC by now the majority of Black families are at least part immigrant, and yes there is a lot of intermarriage especially as generations go by. And there's a lot of other cross cultural contact.

Also keep in mind that Southern Blacks do not move to large cities in big numbers these days. You aren't going to get large numbers of people from the South moving to sanctuary cities to accept illegal immigrant waves or live in overcrowded apartments. Every since the civil rights movement OPENED up better access for better jobs for Black people, you won't get American born Black people in those jobs. Overall they are not interested, with the exception of desperate people who can't get legitimate jobs due to criminal records. And even a lot of people with criminal records wouldn't take these jobs (some of them would), either they can get better jobs WITH those records or they would get on a welfare program before they accepted conditions illegal immigrants would. They would associate extremely long hours, overcrowded housing, and ****ty pay with slavery/sharecropping, and we aren't that many generations from that, so there's be a stigma on those doing that kind of work today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: