Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 AM

26 posts, read 19,686 times

Advertisements

Hello and Salaam Aleykum to all brothers and sisters who may be reading. Thanks for taking the time.

Sort of a wierd question, for an unconventional family situation.

I'm a convert to Islam and I live in NYC for now, my brother (21) is coming to visit me from his college, he's not Muslim. Since I converted, most of my "nights out" have been at specifically Islam oriented events, or hanging out with Muslim friends. I enjoy these things but my brother as your average Roman Catholic/secular American college kid does not and keeping the peace in our family means that we don't talk religion with one another. He wants to go out with me to belatedly celebrate his birthday and my upcoming graduation, but I can't think of any fun "night out" things that we will both enjoy. I can't go to bars, or anywhere that primarily makes its money off of haraam (prohibited) activities like public sexual/sexually oriented displays, music and dancing, alcohol etc. to give an example I can go eat at a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as there is no alcohol at my table and what I'm eating is halaal (usually means vegetarian at non-halaal restaurants) but I can't go into a bar or nightclub and drink a glass of water.

I really want to go out and have a great time with my brother, I especially want to show him that I'm still the same person that I was before just without the problems that I had before (I'm a recovering drug addict/alcoholic) and that my religion hasn't made me totally unrelatwvle to him. The problem is that I'm at a loss for what to do when he comes, most activities that I can think of that we could do together aren't exactly appropriate for a night out (like going to a museum) or are things that may make him uncomfortable (like visiting with my friends who are for the most part observant Muslims).

I feel dumb asking this, because I've lived here for quite awhile but I'm at a bit of a loss. I also don't want to make it sound as if living a Muslim lifestyle is a chore for me, it's not and I wouldn't trade it for anything, I'm simply stumped at trying to find an activity that will appeal to my brother's interests and not conflict with my faith based lifestyle.

(I kindly request that you not make rude or unhelpful comments. I don't think it will be a problem on a forum like this with good moderators and especially since I'm asking other New Yorkers who are generally a tolerant and multicultural bunch. To anyone who feels the need to make rude or insulting comments: note that most people won't abandon their faith due to troll posts and copy/pasted falsehoods.)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:36 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Maybe a Hookah bar?

Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
No hookah. Smoking is haram as it does harm to the body.

You should take your brother for a walk to see the sights. Eat some good halal food. You say you want to show your brother that you are still relatable, but if you are a pious Muslim, in many ways, you are not. Haram, halal, makruh, all these distinctions that guide the daily lives of Muslims are not followed, or even known, to secular and Christian Americans.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:47 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

You should take your brother for a walk to see the sights. Eat some good halal food. You say you want to show your brother that you are still relatable, but if you are a pious Muslim, in many ways, you are not. Haram, halal, makruh, all these distinctions that guide the daily lives of Muslims are not followed, or even known, to secular and Christian Americans.
I'm pretty sure Hookah is popular in the Middle East.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm pretty sure Hookah is popular in the Middle East.

Smoking isn't haraam, but it's what scholars called "highly disapproved" it's not a sin but it's not a good thing.

It's called shisha in the Middle East also, just wanted to add.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Thanks.

Smoking is makruh, not haraam. I know because it's still the one habit I have not fully gotten rid of and I have spoken to my imam and scholars about it.

Yes I know I'm not truly relatable to him anymore, but he's still my brother and I love him and I don't want him to think that he's lost me, you know?

The problem with a lot of shisha places in the city is that they are targeted mainly toward the average New Yorker who wants a faux Middle Eastern sort of vibe and as such that serve alcohol and have half naked women dancing around.

Btw sorry for the delayed reply. I was typing this out when I realized it was time for zuhr.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
http://www.islamicity.org/forum/

Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I guess a good microbrew beer and baby back ribs won't work for you.
That should be quite clear, and I'm assuming you knew that because of the content of my post. So with that in mind, what was the purpose of your comment? Humor? I don't know how "LOL Muslims refrain from alcohol and swine LOL" is entertaining. Did you think it was cute? I'm assuming you're an adult, is this how you spend your time? Grow up. It's not funny and it adds nothing.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Nice edit, I'm assuming you realized how immature your previous comment is.

I have already posted on the Islamic forums, I posted here as well. Do you have an answer to the question, or is the prescience of a Muslim asking a Muslim oriented question too much for you to bare so instead of just not answering the question you unnecessarily interject?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnRushd View Post
Nice edit, I'm assuming you realized how immature your previous comment is.

I have already posted on the Islamic forums, I posted here as well. Do you have an answer to the question, or is the prescience of a Muslim asking a Muslim oriented question too much for you to bare so instead of just not answering the question you unnecessarily interject?
Yeah, I did reconsider it, even though I can bear it. It wasn't meant to be insulting, just a mild jest, but I guess you're sensitive.

I'm curious. Do you think that this forum is going to give you valuable info on how a Muslim can have a good night out? Kinda like a Jewish Hasid posting the same thing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City