Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:28 AM

212 posts, read 135,997 times

Advertisements

Definitely Bushwick. In Bushwick, you run into a more genteel & cultured type of lowlife animal thug who will only knock you unconscious for your cell phone: CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Man Beaten In Violent Brooklyn Cell Phone Robbery « CBS New York

As opposed to Bed-Stuy, where they slash your face before pummeling you into a semi-conscious stupor for your phone: https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.c...-brooklyn/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:15 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Bushwick is more gentrified than Bed-Stuy (although both are already expensive. Not sure why; I'd never live in either of them due to the high crime rate.)

Bushwick was mostly Hispanic whereas Bed-Stuy was mostly African-American. My sense is that Hispanic neighborhoods gentrify faster (in general) than black neighborhoods, because (racist) white hipster/gentrifiers are less afraid of Hispanic people, some Hispanics are white, and therefore white hipster/gentrifiers can blend in more easily in Hispanic neighborhoods than in black neighborhoods where (at least at first) they stick out like a sore thumb.

Bushwick is also next door to Williamsburg, which is basically the gentrification capital of Brooklyn.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:54 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
Definitely Bushwick. In Bushwick, you run into a more genteel & cultured type of lowlife animal thug who will only knock you unconscious for your cell phone: CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Man Beaten In Violent Brooklyn Cell Phone Robbery « CBS New York

As opposed to Bed-Stuy, where they slash your face before pummeling you into a semi-conscious stupor for your phone: https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.c...-brooklyn/amp/
Never had a problem there, though I am white.

One guy kind of threatened me, I avoid his block.

I'm a canner. Sometimes I pick up trash and broken glass. On 3 occasions I've picked up syringes. Once, in a playground.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:16 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Bed stuy has the better housing stock by miles. Also landmarked areas, brownstones on Macon st are going for over 2 million renovated.

Fulton street stretches down to downtown Brooklyn. Fulton from Bedford to Kingston/Utica is seeing mass development.

Bushwick to me has already reached its potential, all the trendy ugly homes will age horribly. bed stuy has the potential to be a family oriented neighborhood like park slope. Once downtown Brooklyn/Barclays continue to grow Atlantic/Fulton will be a business corridor with new buildings.

I see more white families with kids in bed stuy then in bushwick.

Basically bushwick is a Williamsburg extension. Bed stuy is a park slope/Clinton hill extension. It's all in what you are looking for in a neighborhood. Bed stuy is the better investment just based on the brownstone blocks and vicinity to downtown Brooklyn in my opinion

Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Bushwick is more gentrified than Bed-Stuy (although both are already expensive. Not sure why; I'd never live in either of them due to the high crime rate.)

Bushwick was mostly Hispanic whereas Bed-Stuy was mostly African-American. My sense is that Hispanic neighborhoods gentrify faster (in general) than black neighborhoods, because (racist) white hipster/gentrifiers are less afraid of Hispanic people, some Hispanics are white, and therefore white hipster/gentrifiers can blend in more easily in Hispanic neighborhoods than in black neighborhoods where (at least at first) they stick out like a sore thumb.

Bushwick is also next door to Williamsburg, which is basically the gentrification capital of Brooklyn.
Honestly bed stuy/bushwick is pretty safe. Back in the days you heard gunshots every few hours. If you aren't awar of the surroundings you set yourself to be a target. And still till this day I don't know why people take their phones out on the train. Read a book

Old 04-29-2017, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,790 times
is Bedstuy a better long term investment than Bushwick? my realtor keeps telling us how fast changing BedStuy is and how much people (especially families) love the neighborhood but honestly when I checked out the east side or the south east side (alone the Fulton) of Bedstuy I didn't see many new comers let alone families (way fewer than even Harlem). At various open houses I am mostly seeing investors who have no intention of actually living on those expense brownstones (the same can be said about Bushwick though).

Also how about schools? what do you guys think that might affect the gentrification process if Bedstuy wants to be the next Park Slope or Clinton Hill. Some friends of friends with family just moved out of bedstuy after moving there a couple of years ago. some of the reasons they cited were, 1. lack of good school options for kids 2. the area is changing slower than what they had expected; their realtor told them a couple years ago that in a couple more years the neighborhood will be doting with new restaurants, cafes, grocery stores etc.. but not much of that actually happened

Old 04-29-2017, 01:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Because not everyone is a frightened silly twit! Those neighborhoods are close to the parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan were gentrified work, socialize, or go to school. As for students of schools like NYU and New School, just a room close to campus is at least 1500 a month. In Bedstuy a room is going to be 700 a month. It's a huge cost savings, and the student can easily use that money on other thing. It pays not to be bigoted/paranoid about crime and at least those young white people are open minded enough not to insist on living in all white neighborhood that they might not be able to afford. Brooklyn has the Pratt Institute, NYU Polytechnic, and LIU as well. This isn't counting medical residents, law firm clerks, or various other people completing some sort of training or internship. Not to mention newcomers to the city who need a cheap place to live until they move up in their careers.

Have you ever moved out of the city long term? If you have, unless you're super loaded, when you first move to a place you aren't getting the most exclusive neighborhoods. You live where you can afford to live.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Honestly bed stuy/bushwick is pretty safe. Back in the days you heard gunshots every few hours. If you aren't awar of the surroundings you set yourself to be a target. And still till this day I don't know why people take their phones out on the train. Read a book
Paranoid. Unless you're drunk and passed out no one is likely to take your phone. That's the entire purpose of a phone, to use it when you want. You're stuck in the 80s.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Bed-Stuy is more of a bedroom community. Not as much sidewalk life. Nice brownstones, but that's about it.

Bushwick has much more retail and commercial space that caters to the revolting suburban middle American liberal. Better mixed use and economically diverse landscape. Bushwick also has the better subway access.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Bed-Stuy is more of a bedroom community. Not as much sidewalk life. Nice brownstones, but that's about it.

Bushwick has much more retail and commercial space that caters to the revolting suburban middle American liberal. Better mixed use and economically diverse landscape. Bushwick also has the better subway access.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to G-Dale again."

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City