Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, that is not remotely true, sorry but it must be said.

If GOP and others had not fought the taxes (including that on medical devices), and individual mandate the ACA would have stood a fighting chance. As for funding Congress gave the Obama administration less than one-third of funds requested for the health exchange scheme. It was GOP playbook 101; let's starve something we don't like of funds until it dies.

Am so happy many of you think Obamacare was "bad" but what Ryan and GOP have cooked up is much better. You all are going to get what is coming to you, and in spades. Once republicans and His Orangeness has their way things will go right back to pre-ACA days only worse. So unless you have millions *and* a gold plated health insurance scheme for life, better start taking those vitamins, exercising and whatever to stay in good health. Don't think about getting in a family way and or pray your child is born healthy and remains so. Over sixty-five or unemployed? Better hope there is room in Bellevue, Kings County or one of the other HHC hospitals, because the private ones won't touch you with a barge pole. If by chance you do get unless truly indigent (by that we mean you have *NO* assets), those places will sue you into the ground (or bankruptcy) to get their money.
LOL. If Obamacare needed lots of public/government funding to be propped up/survive, then it is a fail.

Private insurers are pulling out left and right and it has nothing to do with Congressional funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Simple fact is New York City's public healthcare system functions as one of "last resort" and or charity care. That is a large portion of the patients are uninsured

And that is the precise reason why the United States' Health Care system is the worst in the civilized world.
With a "single payer" government run system there is no such thing as "last resort" or "charity" care.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Simple fact is New York City's public healthcare system functions as one of "last resort" and or charity care. That is a large portion of the patients are uninsured

And that is the precise reason why the United States' Health Care system is the worst in the civilized world.
With a "single payer" government run system there is no such thing as "last resort" or "charity" care.
Agreed. Everyone should get medicare card. With that said, NYC's public care is disparaged precisely because poor people go there. I don't know about going their for certain types of specialty care, but at least for routine procedures there's nothing wrong with the city public hospitals, beyond people's on biases and prejudices.

I was born in Elmhurst Hospital. Nothing bad happened to me because I was born in a public hospital and it was the closest place to where my mother was living at the time.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
AETNA is pulling out of all Obamacare exchanges by 2018. They are the largest provider on Health Marketplace. Obamacare needs to be removed for both good and bad reasons.

A new deal has to be formed or else the Fed will have to move people to Medicare and others will have no insurers left on the marketplace.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:54 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
AETNA is pulling out of all Obamacare exchanges by 2018. They are the largest provider on Health Marketplace. Obamacare needs to be removed for both good and bad reasons.

A new deal has to be formed or else the Fed will have to move people to Medicare and others will have no insurers left on the marketplace.

No insurers left in the marketplace might very well be the best possible outcome.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No insurers left in the marketplace might very well be the best possible outcome.
Agreed!

Old 05-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Let the fed move people to medicare.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed. Everyone should get medicare card. With that said, NYC's public care is disparaged precisely because poor people go there. I don't know about going their for certain types of specialty care, but at least for routine procedures there's nothing wrong with the city public hospitals, beyond people's on biases and prejudices.

I was born in Elmhurst Hospital. Nothing bad happened to me because I was born in a public hospital and it was the closest place to where my mother was living at the time.

Again with this?

Medicare is for senior citizens who have paid enough into Social Security (or via their spouses). You cannot get Medicare otherwise. Funds come from the "trust fund" pool which is under stress financially as things are going.

Medicaid is a federal program (split half with states) for the indigent, disabled, and a few others. It is paid out of general revenue funds and this in theory could be expanded to include more persons, but both federal and local governments would have to find the money.

There, fixed that for you.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again with this?

Medicare is for senior citizens who have paid enough into Social Security (or via their spouses). You cannot get Medicare otherwise. Funds come from the "trust fund" pool which is under stress financially as things are going.

Medicaid is a federal program (split half with states) for the indigent, disabled, and a few others. It is paid out of general revenue funds and this in theory could be expanded to include more persons, but both federal and local governments would have to find the money.

There, fixed that for you.
I know the difference between the TWO. I again I am saying everyone should get a MEDICARE card. Medicare should be revised into a single payer system, funded by federal payroll taxes. Medicaid, a joint federal/state program is a mess and subject to state politics.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I know the difference between the TWO. I again I am saying everyone should get a MEDICARE card. Medicare should be revised into a single payer system, funded by federal payroll taxes. Medicaid, a joint federal/state program is a mess and subject to state politics.

You will never get Congress much less a majority of the American public behind any such scheme.

Expanding Medicare to make it a de facto universal health coverage scheme would require a vast sum of funding, and not all of it could be raised via PAYO (Pay As You Go) without a HUGE injection of federal funds which come from taxes. We already had vast numbers of Americans and the GOP with them in refusing any sort of individual mandate (along with taxes in support), so what makes you think their minds would be changed by expanding Medicare?

Medicare as it is faces financial shortcomings as persons are living longer and thus receive benefits for twenty, thirty or more years. This versus the historical of retiring at 65 and likely being dead by 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City