Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:03 AM

994 posts, read 1,059,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Wow. That was fast! Mine still hasn't posted yet.
What the freakin' heck? Where is my log number? Maybe its so high it doesn't show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 AM

444 posts, read 389,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
the thing is you won't get all these amenties for 1200+ without the lottery
you'd get a basement or some crappy apt in a bad neighhood or roommate.
I live with my dad. I can stay with him until idk how long but if i don't get out of that comfort zone, i'll be with him until i'm 50.
i def don't want to go out and pay 1400 for an apartment who doesn't have any amenities
You shouldn't have to. No one should. It pisses me off that people constantly make that choice...bad neighborhood or roommate to save money when they shouldn't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
My fingers will be crossed as well, I live in the BX but in a different CB. PRAYING for a low log on this one! This location is awesome commuting wise and this building looks like it will be beautiful.

Yes, I absolutely agree. However, I was moreso speaking to the other posters point about people outside of that CB not having good chances.

The middle income people making 50K and up WILL jump at the chance to get a 1 bedroom for $1200 in a new building like this one. I just don't think majority of those middle income people will be coming from that specific CB, thus heightening the chances for those living OUTSIDE of that CB to nab an apartment.

In my experience, I was CB preference for my building, but my log number was 40K+, by the time they got around to my log number they still had a bunch of 1 bedrooms (for my income bracket) still vacant. I know for a fact they had a really difficult time getting people to sign off on those 1 bedrooms for the higher bracket within CB 3 and ultimately ended up bringing in non-preference people from other boroughs.
I think the city needs to either stop with the lotteries all together or definitely stop with the CB preference. Especially when one borough might see more of a building boom than another. Last year it felt like Brooklyn had all the lotteries. Now it is the Bronx. Stop with you work for the City you get preference. Why? Because you have a guaranteed job you can now have a guaranteed chance at an apartment? Make it fair for everyone that applies. From all boroughs. The only ones that should get preference are the disabled, and veterans. Then the lottery should work like a lottery should. And when those people are picked move the people that weren't and see if they fit in the next up coming lottery.

Of none of this will happen because each developer/management company does things their own way. But it is totally unfair how people lose out on these apartments because they aren't CB preference.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:07 AM

532 posts, read 788,440 times
OMG mine is 700ish LOL
this is my second lowest one.
i'm gonna start praying now lol

Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
at least it's not in 20k
most of my logs are high 10k to 90k
only a few are less than 3k
Mine log # is 27K...oh well.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
Mine log # is 27K...oh well.
don't lose hope.
people here have been called with logs higher than 40k
i have no CB though so i'm not too excited

Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
OMG mine is 700ish LOL
this is my second lowest one.
i'm gonna start praying now lol
Fingers crossed and positive thoughts for you.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
You shouldn't have to. No one should. It pisses me off that people constantly make that choice...bad neighborhood or roommate to save money when they shouldn't have to.

I think the city needs to either stop with the lotteries all together or definitely stop with the CB preference. Especially when one borough might see more of a building boom than another. Last year it felt like Brooklyn had all the lotteries. Now it is the Bronx. Stop with you work for the City you get preference. Why? Because you have a guaranteed job you can now have a guaranteed chance at an apartment? Make it fair for everyone that applies. From all boroughs. The only ones that should get preference are the disabled, and veterans. Then the lottery should work like a lottery should. And when those people are picked move the people that weren't and see if they fit in the next up coming lottery.

Of none of this will happen because each developer/management company does things their own way. But it is totally unfair how people lose out on these apartments because they aren't CB preference.
I feel the same way. CB should be only for disabled and veteran or homeless people ( apply only for very low income ones) like 200 to 400 a month ones.
but city workers have 99.9 chance of getting an apartment. like really
makes it feel less of a lottery

Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
don't lose hope.
people here have been called with logs higher than 40k
i have no CB though so i'm not too excited
I do now, but when I applied I didn't so my address on the application is my old one. Still the Bronx, but the Fordham area.

Still 700ish is a good number. So I will continue to think positive for you.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM

994 posts, read 1,059,161 times

Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM

127 posts, read 216,467 times
Uggh!!! 25K! That sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery