Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Plenty of people live the way they dream. This board is full of unhappy failures, andbit has nothing to do with being childish.

Obviously you came to NY as a reason and apparently you did not accomplish what you set out to do.
Actually you have all that 100% backwards but nice try attempting to insinuate otherwise about me. I accomplished what I wanted to here and picked up a few honest opinions about the place along the way. You and Henna can continue to enjoy being triggered by some random person on the internet that doesn't feel exactly the same way you do about some place after giving it a fair shot though. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The stuff I like to do is here in NYC. My field, my tribe, etc. The events and people who interest me wouldn't be found in Las Vegas. Just because it sucks for you to be here doesn't mean it sucks for everyone else, too.

And yeah, I'd rather put up with a few terrible hot and humid days in a NYC summer rather than the Las Vegas climate. As they say, Chacun son goût. It might be good for you to realize that.

The point is not to argue about what constitutes a heat wave, etc. but rather that people like different things in life. Too bad you don't like NYC. Others do.
I get all that, but...don't forget the blizzards

Old 06-23-2017, 07:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I get all that, but...don't forget the blizzards
She likes snow Angeles perhaps. Who knows.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Actually you have all that 100% backwards but nice try attempting to insinuate otherwise about me. I accomplished what I wanted to here and picked up a few honest opinions about the place along the way. You and Henna can continue to enjoy being triggered by some random person on the internet that doesn't feel exactly the same way you do about some place after giving it a fair shot though. Enjoy.
If the shoe fits wear it.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
You and Henna can continue to enjoy being triggered by some random person on the internet that doesn't feel exactly the same way you do about some place after giving it a fair shot though. Enjoy.
If it makes you feel good to completely misrepresent what I said, then go for it.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDp4RJ8llUA

Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeas0 View Post
After living in the city for 7 years, I guess I am a transplant. I'm originally from SoCal (more specifically, a suburb an hour east of L.A.). From 2003-2007, I would take the train up to NY from DC, during my college breaks, to visit my dad's family (my dad is a Jamaican immigrant who grew up in Brooklyn). During those visits, I didn't think I could survive here. It was too loud, busy, crowded, and dirty. Also, the people didn't seem particularly friendly. After DC was Boston. Boston is a very cute city and manageable city but it has a weird racial tension. My move to NY from Boston was a supposed to be a temporary one. In 2010, I was freshly divorced with two young kids. I couldn't go back to my hometown in SoCal because it was too far from my ex who stayed in Boston so ... I ended up in NY.

So, after a pretty rough transition period, I can now say that I really enjoy living in NY. At least that is how I feel on most days. The crowded subways, lack of a backyard, and other city nuisances can be demoralizing at times. Also, raising children in the city gives me a particular anxiety that I feel would be absent if I lived in the suburbs. However, on good days, I think about the fact that I live in a city full of great cultural opportunities, amazing food, and great educational opportunities. I also work with brilliant ambitious people. This means a lot to me considering I grew up in a very superficial part of the country that doesn't really value intellect.
I'm curious about Boston. what was your experience there like? And a weird racial tension such as what?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:24 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
People watch YouTube videos, movies, GTA4, books, TV shows they fell in love with NYC.
My girlfriend says that people do not fall in love with the city she says it beats you down in till you learn to deal with it .Me I liked the city a lot more now than I first got here plus passing though when I was in the military helped a lot . I found out the city is like a giant pinball machine at times when it came to dealing with city hall and it paperwork to open a business here

But in the end I have a child with a loving women and her family treats me well and I should be home here in the fall time frame after the last surgery

Old 07-15-2017, 02:40 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've lived in many places and love the tri state area. Nobody made you move here. The people who endlessly complain are people who can't live the way they dreamed of.
Don't make me pull up your posts before you inherited a few dollars. Your entire tone on this board has changed since then. Lol

NYC is what it is. It has its pros and cons just like any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City