Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:49 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,352,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am thinking you need your head checked. Can tell you Neapolitan Express rates high on the list. Have food trucks or whatever below 57th street for good eats. Organic and GMO free ingredients and some imported items from Italy.
Hahahaha. I'll have to give that place a try. When I think of 'Lower Manhattan' I think of Chinatown and the Financial District, and I can't find a decent pizza place down there to save my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,525,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
It's not the same difference. I didn't even open up your thread earlier because to me, Lower Manhattan means below Houston or Delancey and I don't know many places down there.

Anyway, for Midtown, I would recommend Pizza Suprema near Penn Station. Very solid slices. For downtown, Joe's Pizza near the West 4th Street station is decent. These two places offer your typical NY slice.

There are many other pizza places in this city and many other pizza styles so you may not get a consensus. For example, a few of the other recs mentioned like Vezzo and Keste are other styles, not NY slices. I would actually suggest you just google "best pizza" lists and then pick a place close to your other activities. Manhattan alone probably has a couple of hundred pizza shops. The majority is crap but there should be enough good ones scattered around for you to find a good slice without going out of your way.
Definitely looking for NY slices. I can get the other crap here in DC.

DC only has two good places that sell NY slices and its still not as good as the better NY spots.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:45 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
If you're in Midtown East, Murray Hill/Kips Bay, I would look at Rocky's if you want a simple pizza place with by-the-slice options. My original response in the thread was framed for Lower Manhattan, i.e., as others have described. I also think Joe's is a good bet for a slice shop, on Carmine.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Hahahaha. I'll have to give that place a try. When I think of 'Lower Manhattan' I think of Chinatown and the Financial District, and I can't find a decent pizza place down there to save my life.
Every try Majestic on Cortlandt? Little dumpy place, counters around the perimeter, people eating standing up. Been there since before the towers went down. If you need atmosphere, it ain't the place, but slices are good.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:28 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,762,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Two boots in several locations is ok. Motorino's is great, but expensive. Stromboli.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,762,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Every try Majestic on Cortlandt? Little dumpy place, counters around the perimeter, people eating standing up. Been there since before the towers went down. If you need atmosphere, it ain't the place, but slices are good.
They're jerks in that place. I think Big Al's on Cedar is better. On the other side, there is Pizza Pizza right next to Burger Burger near Stone Street. We often eat at Giorgio's on Beaver because they're $5 lunch special is a good price. The pizza is NYC worthy. My benchmark; does it taste good without toppings. Then it's good.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
They're jerks in that place. I think Big Al's on Cedar is better. On the other side, there is Pizza Pizza right next to Burger Burger near Stone Street. We often eat at Giorgio's on Beaver because they're $5 lunch special is a good price. The pizza is NYC worthy. My benchmark; does it taste good without toppings. Then it's good.
Big Al's has been there since the 80s. They used to advertise as "Chicago-style" pizza, but it seems more like normal pizza now. Haven't been there in a couple of years, but I am back working in the neighborhood now.

I never had a problem at Majestic, but haven't been there in a while, either. Or Steve's, right on Church. I forget what their pizza was like.

I agree, give me a plain slice and I'll tell you if it's good.

I have a place here in NJ that I can walk to that makes a great veggie pizza. Shrooms, artichokes, spinach, fresh garlic, roasted red pepper. But when I want plain, I drive to a dumpy little place inside a jug handle about two miles away that appears to have last been redecorated in 1964 and get a pie there.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 PM

353 posts, read 1,008,159 times
Keste has a great crust. At lunch time they sell individual pies for $7 to $10. I go to the one on Gold Street near Fulton Street which is roomy and feels more like a restaurant than a pizza place. They also have a location on Bleeker Street that I have never been to.

https://www.facebook.com/kestewallstreet/

Old 01-31-2018, 07:45 PM

983 posts, read 933,589 times
I like Joe's on 14th street

Old 02-01-2018, 06:44 AM

30 posts, read 21,790 times
There was an amazing place on the corner of Mott/Kenmare Street - L'asso Pizza - but it shut down =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: