Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:33 PM

18 posts, read 15,338 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease for an apartment in the South Bronx and today was my move-in date. Shortly after I entered the lobby (with my building key) these teenagers busted through the locked lobby door by shoving hard into it. Minutes later, a woman came into the building by doing the same thing. Basically anyone without a lobby key can get into the building by shoving hard into the lobby door, and it seems like some renters are used to doing that. I called management and told them my concerns (there are other issues with the apt that I rather not get into), and we agreed to settle the matter on Monday. Has anyone ever changed their mind after signing the lease and was able to successfully back out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:51 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHarlem View Post
I signed a lease for an apartment in the South Bronx and today was my move-in date. Shortly after I entered the lobby (with my building key) these teenagers busted through the locked lobby door by shoving hard into it. Minutes later, a woman came into the building by doing the same thing. Basically anyone without a lobby key can get into the building by shoving hard into the lobby door, and it seems like some renters are used to doing that. I called management and told them my concerns (there are other issues with the apt that I rather not get into), and we agreed to settle the matter on Monday. Has anyone ever changed their mind after signing the lease and was able to successfully back out?
Am wondering how you moved to the area without doing your homework? Clearly not a good part of the Bronx if people are doing that.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
If you lived in gramercy or say west village and this was done, would you have a problem?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:35 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
First C-D post:

Quote:
So I just signed a lease for a walk-up on E 138th Street, near Brook Ave. I was telling my family and friends about the good news of me moving and almost everyone gave me negative feedback that I'm moving to a bad area. One of my friends even said it's "drug city." I visited the area and loved it because there are many stores nearby (I just love commercial areas), transportation nearby, and it's a very short commute to Manhattan where I work. I don't drive so transportation is a huge deal for me. I just wanted the opinion of others on the area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-08-2017, 12:11 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If you lived in gramercy or say west village and this was done, would you have a problem?
I'm curious to know as well.

Good point.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:00 AM

343 posts, read 254,653 times
Hmmm. It sounds like typical protocol for the hood. The kids probably are not as bad as you think. I mean if you ever needed to bust into somebodies apartment buildings to steal stuff, they could be very helpful for you. They could probably hook you up with some decent bags of weed too. Or some heroin.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
While you are not able to break your lease arbitrarily, you may be able to find a valid reason - a "just cause" - that will allow you to break your lease. Specific state laws vary, but if the apartment is not up to code or not fit for habitation, the landlord must fix these issues or you have the right to terminate the lease.

This would likely have to be settled by a judge.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:11 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
I would be alarmed too but you signed a lease in the South Bronx. What do you think the judge will say? It can't hurt to ask but I think you may be stuck. Sorry.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:23 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Are you dealing with a rental management company or directly with the LL? It is probably easier to deal with a LL.

Care to state an approximate figure of how much you put down when you signed the lease? You could probably get out of the lease by forfeiting what you put down. If the LL or Co. says no to your request to back out of the lease even with a forfeit, hire an attorney and take them to court. Either way, you're looking at a big loss.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:21 PM

62 posts, read 43,974 times
Say goodbye to your $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: