Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 04:15 PM

8 posts, read 9,287 times

Advertisements

My mother is on a fixed income and it is very rare that any lotteries come up for her low income range of 17k. I have been applying for her for years on Housing Connect and she has never been called for an interview. Her lowest log number was 6,xxx and highest 101k+ in for the senior buildings. She was living with us in Queens and we all moved 2 years ago to Long Island due to my job relocating. Has anyone had any luck with getting selected for NYC housing but lived outside NYC? I have not read any information that we would be disqualified if not living in NYC but I was curious if anyone here would have some input.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
quote:
Has anyone had any luck with getting selected for NYC housing but lived outside NYC?

You're going to get a giant no on this one. It's not really designed for people living out of the city. However, if you want, you can always throw your mother in law out on the streets and she can hop on the bus and become homeless in NYC and then WAH-LAH! She very well may be fast tracked into an affordable housing unit based on the city's absurdity that they are now allowing an alottment of homeless people into these apartments. Remember though, she will be competing with the other 65,000 homeless people on our streets. So what's the deal, you can't let her live with you guys? that's cruel. Funny how in the last 20 or 30 years it seems like people don't want to help their elderly family members, but instead feel entitled that they find their own cheap affordable apartments. You do realize that's the reason Asian communities kick every one elses butt when it comes to advancing, right?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
oh my bad, it's your actual MOTHER! smh and sorry, i don't mean to come across as insensitive, but..

Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Has anyone had any luck with getting selected for NYC housing but lived outside NYC?

You're going to get a giant no on this one. It's not really designed for people living out of the city. However, if you want, you can always throw your mother in law out on the streets and she can hop on the bus and become homeless in NYC and then WAH-LAH! She very well may be fast tracked into an affordable housing unit based on the city's absurdity that they are now allowing an alottment of homeless people into these apartments. Remember though, she will be competing with the other 65,000 homeless people on our streets. So what's the deal, you can't let her live with you guys? that's cruel. Funny how in the last 20 or 30 years it seems like people don't want to help their elderly family members, but instead feel entitled that they find their own cheap affordable apartments. You do realize that's the reason Asian communities kick every one elses butt when it comes to advancing, right?
Did you mean voila! maybe?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
I'm fairly sure you need to be an NYC resident in order to qualify. This is on the top of every lottery I've ever applied for:

"Applicants who live in New York City receive a general preference for apartments."

This could in theory mean that there are over 8 million people who will be looked at before you do if everyone in the city were to apply for the apartment even if you had log number 1. It's pretty fair too given we pay the (or more of the) taxes (NYC city tax) that go to support this for better or worse. This also isn't CB preference, so I doubt it'll ever go away, but don't tell De Bozo. A grand increase of residents, as good as it would be for his votes, would be terrible in addressing the expense that it is to rent or buy a place here.

Basically, you may have shot yourself in the foot by leaving Queens for Long Island if this was your goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City