Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times

Advertisements

You can't fix this. You need to save up and move somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:52 AM

254 posts, read 391,225 times
The only crime is the downstairs tenant's reluctance to move lol.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Time to move.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplandlordhelp View Post
Happy monday all,

I have lived at my current apartment (two family house) for the past 8 years and have never missed a rent payment. I have never asked my landlord to replace anything in the apartment, live quietly with a roommate, and do not throw any parties. My only guest is my girlfriend who comes over the weekends. I am a working professional in the healthcare IT industry and stick to a regular schedule.

Last weekend, my landlord requested entry to my apartment to do a repair. He informed me that my downstairs neighbor has been complaining about water leaks in his bathroom ceiling. I let my landlord and his craigslist contractor inspect the apartment. The contractor informed my landlord immediately that the shower door had to be replaced due to age and the rubber gaskets disintegrating from use over time.

My landlord instead tells the contractor to apply some caulking to the corner instead of replacing the door. Keep in mind, this showerdoor has been there since I moved in and looked worn out the first day. I decided it wasn't worth arguing over and let the contractor do the repair.

A week goes by and the downstairs neighbor is complaining that there is water leaking from the ceiling. My landlord comes alone to my apartment and decides to install a cheap and ugly green shower curtain/rod BEHIND my shower door effectively making my shower smaller. I asked him what he was doing and why he thought this was a good idea. He told me it was to stop the water from leaking and to see whether there will still be water leaks. I told him that this was an unacceptable repair, that my shower is smaller from an unnecessary curtain hung behind the door, and that he should invest in doing an actual repair for once in the eight years I have been a tenant. I told him the leak is most likely coming from a leaky pipe in the wall behind the shower. There is no visible water leaks around the shower and that he should hire a professional plumber to fix it. He got really defensive and threatened to increase my rent to cover the cost of a real contractor.

I feel completely disrespected by my cheap landlord and I decided to put together a list of violations that I have never formally brought to HPD. I am now considering filing formal complaints everyday for the following issues:

1. Inadequate heat during winter (violates HPD Heat & Hot water rules)
2. Cockroach infestation (I see a giant cockroach once every few days in the summer)
3. Illegal basement tenant
4. Squirrel infestation (I paid for removal + repair in hole in AC Cover)
5. Missing C02 detector
6. Light fixtures hanging precariously on the ceiling
7. Broken fire detector
8. Black mold growing in bathroom which has not gone away from multiple cleanings (I paid)
9. Broken windscreens in windows
10. Broken window (cannot open without window falling out)

Overall, I cannot believe my landlord is unwilling to invest in quality parts for his apartment given how long I have lived there. I found out from his wife that the previous tenant lived in the apartment for 16 years without a single replacement. This means my bathroom is 24 years old! His wife told me that she will speak to him and do proper repairs. She was unaware that he argued with the contractor over the shower door and informed me she wants to keep me as a tenant rather than pursue money.

Am I in the right here? Should I just formally complain and start building a case against him? I don't believe in withholding rent but enough is enough. I am thinking about sending reduced rent until all repairs are made.

Keep in mind, I am living in a pretty well off area (Bayside, Queens) and the type of repairs my landlord has done over the 8 years is equivalent to duct taping a car.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

There are 2 sides to every story. Yours is one side. Based on your side
I can only fairly say that you have allowed yourself to live under many
conditions of violations without complaint for so long. Why?
Courts will not find this in your favor. Been there. Not worth the risk.
I can only assume your rent is much much cheaper than elsewhere.
My suggestion is move and pay more or stay where you are and pay less.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,914 times
what kind of douche installs a shower rod in your bathroom without any care how you would feel about it?

the guy is an ******* you should absolutely file complaints and bring him as much pain as possible. lol sounds crazy but i hate people like him

Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
If you decide to stay, you must document every violation FROM NOW ON. Forget the old stuff...that is "he said she said" and it will not stand up in housing court.

If you see a giant roach, take a picture. If you see a third full bathtub after showering, take a picture.
<The latter occurs all the time when sloppy handymen break into a wall and fill the drains with pieces of drywall. It takes many many snakings to finally get it open for good. I went through it with brand new construction. I even found empty soda cans inside the walls>

Are you rent stabilized?

Old 09-23-2018, 07:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
How to approach disrespectful and cheap landlord? (apartment, rent)

Say goodbye on the way out.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
This thread is old

But I will respond

I dont know how ppl can go about finding places to live and not know how to protect themselves (Darwinism)

But for all of you, or others who may be in a similar predicament, this is what you do:

https://nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/hous...artinghp.shtml

Without C-D, what would some ppl do....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City