Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ya'll posting about something from 1973???? So what if he had a rent controlled apartment, I wasnt even born yet
So - you don't care about anything that happened before you were born? Are you serious? You have no interest in Fiorello La Guardia, or the Triangle Fire, Kitty Genovese, Alexander Hamilton, WWII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
In 1973, nearly ALL apartments were rent controlled.
Sorry, but, no, I don't think so. Don't confuse rent control with rent stabilization.

In any case, the point is just that here's another example of Trump greedily latching on to something really not intended for the likes of him, an example of his always looking for an angle from which to profit, and an example of how he latches onto to any possible benefit while shafting others whenever he can - whether it's a matter of stiffing his workers, defrauding his "University" clients, or now cutting programs for the needy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 02:30 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
So - you don't care about anything that happened before you were born? Are you serious? You have no interest in Fiorello La Guardia, or the Triangle Fire, Kitty Genovese, Alexander Hamilton, WWII?
Way to reach, but I am a historian in my spare time.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2017, 02:31 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Way to reach, but I am a historian in my spare time.
Oh I dunno about that.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:32 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh I dunno about that.
ok so you know what i do in my spare time then?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
ok so you know what i do in my spare time then?
Never said such a thing, but *do* know that people can run their mouths and lie.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:41 PM

714 posts, read 356,608 times
Default The rent conrol situation - soooo sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
rent stabilization was never meant to have anything to do with the tenants wealth . it was only to prevent landlords from rent gouging back in the day .

a tenant can have all the assets they want with stabilization , even 2nd homes that are not primary fine. most rentals back then were stabilized so it was a huge junk of the rental market .

it was never meant to have less than market rents either . rents became the pawn to win votes by politicians so they were artificially held lower at one time . but it was never supposed to be any kind of lower income thing
"back in the day". And when exactly was that? Well, well it was 1942. And why was rent control imposed? Because all materiel and labor was being diverted to the war effort, causing a TEMPORARY halt to housing construction. Thus the NYC City Council logically imposed a TEMPORARY control of rents due to the TEMPORARY steep decrease in the rate of housing supply.

So if rent control was passed as a temporary measure then why is still it here 75 years later? Well, the reason is no longer logic. In fact it's totally ILLOGICAL. The reason is POLITICS. When the war ended in 1945, and housing construction resumed, it's easy to guess what happened. Millions of tenants loved the idea of paying little or no rent increases, irrelevant to the increase in the costs of maintaining their buildings. And they made that loudly and perfectly clear to their city councilmen. The same political situation exists today. Rent control (or "stabilization") has nothing to do with good housing economics and EVERYTHING to do with politics. Any NYC politician courageous enough to blurt out the truth about rent control's negative effects on tax payers and market rent tenants would be trounced in the next Dem primary, given the fact that there are still over a million rent stabilized apartments (how many highly motivated voters would that be?). The Lobby would make sure of that. The pols are well aware of that. A classic example of democracy working for one group but to the detriment of the city as a whole.
And your post explains how rent control has morphed into the twisted form it is today, far from its original purpose in 1942.
Sad.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:47 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
politics is the only reason it is all still here . the city has more renters than owners . keeping stabilization in place and using keeping rents artificially low as a pawn was a way to win votes .

the good news is to get out from under the deceit landlords took their buildings co-op . a lot of the tenants are baby boomers and were part of non eviction conversions . so while the apartments still count as stabilized their days are numbered as boomers retire , move or die.

each year we will see less and less and less of the older buildings that went co-op still have stabilized tenants .

Old 09-04-2017, 08:45 AM

343 posts, read 254,557 times
I believe President Trump is implementing long overdue changes for improving the USA. His methods and style is completely unlike any other president in our history. And it is like a group-think fad to slam Trump. He is not perfect but I am able to look at all sides of the coin and put aside his inappropriate political antics. Trump is taking action and he is transparent and he sticks to his guns even under extreme opposition from his own country people.

It is time to get real about illegal immigration in the USA. This is a country for immigrants from all places around the world but NOT FOR ILLEGAL CRIMINAL IMMIGRANTS.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
I believe President Trump is implementing long overdue changes for improving the USA. His methods and style is completely unlike any other president in our history. And it is like a group-think fad to slam Trump. He is not perfect but I am able to look at all sides of the coin and put aside his inappropriate political antics. Trump is taking action and he is transparent and he sticks to his guns even under extreme opposition from his own country people.
Am in agreement. Trump in 2020!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:56 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
I heard that Trump once farted in public in 1963....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City