Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:05 PM

252 posts, read 347,864 times

Advertisements

hello all,

As always, my posts are always for my educational purposes as a new resident in NYC and based on whenever i see things that interest me.

Today's topic is about the jewish communities. I've noticed that there's no other community in NYC like theirs.

From what I hear, they're apparently very strong, they are not a community to be messed with. They seem to be able to do whatever the hell they want.

They have their own school buses, their own private police, they seem to own all the damn good real estate in the brooklyn area, I also heard that in jewish neighborhoods, you cannot honk and if u get caught by the police honking in their neighborhoods, it's a fine. (I don't know if that's true or not so maybe someone who knows for sure can verify).

They obviously are not very welcoming to any one outside of their ethnicity, religion, group, etc. I know there's several different types of jews i still can't tell which ones are which but i'll get it eventually.

Anyways, just in general, what information can you share about their community. They seem to have it pretty damn good here...atleast from what I've noticed.

I know that in the police force, there are many very high ranking and powerful positions held by jewish so maybe that's why?

Please note, this is NOT a post against jewish people or directing hate towards anyone. I am simply hear to learn more about why i've only noticed this in their community. I've never seen this in an Asian community, a mexican community, black community, etc.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
they went through the holocaust.

The religion keeps them them very tight knit. Its how they survived through the ages.

They know having money can also buy protection and power.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
First and foremost you need to stop making blanket assumptions about various groups of New Yorkers.

The "Jewish" diaspora ranges from those so reformed they are almost Christians to very ultra Orthodox. There is a pretty wide range there and thus not wise to paint all with that same broad brush.

In fact you could go to Israel and see the same sort of distinctions *and* tensions between Jews.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:26 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
hello all,

They have their own school buses, their own private police, they seem to own all the damn good real estate in the brooklyn area, I also heard that in jewish neighborhoods, you cannot honk and if u get caught by the police honking in their neighborhoods, it's a fine. (I don't know if that's true or not so maybe someone who knows for sure can verify).

They obviously are not very welcoming to any one outside of their ethnicity, religion, group, etc. I know there's several different types of jews i still can't tell which ones are which but i'll get it eventually.
It seems like you are only speaking of the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish community. They don't even want their children to marry less Orthodox Jews as they are very tight knit. But there are Jews of all types just like there are people of other religions of all kinds.

As for security all Jewish establishments need to take this very seriously due to anti-Semitism and terrorism (especially because of issues connected with the State of Israel whether the community supports Israel or not). As the Jewish High Holidays are coming up, security will be reenforced throughout NYC synagogues on the days of the holidays themselves.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It seems like you are only speaking of the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish community. They don't even want their children to marry less Orthodox Jews as they are very tight knit. But there are Jews of all types just like there are people of other religions of all kinds.

As for security all Jewish establishments need to take this very seriously due to anti-Semitism and terrorism (especially because of issues connected with the State of Israel whether the community supports Israel or not). As the Jewish High Holidays are coming up, security will be reenforced throughout NYC synagogues on the days of the holidays themselves.
Have lived in several Jewish neighborhoods over the years and can see the difference in the types of Jews living there in day-to-day interactions. The areas I currently live in, in one of them, have Jews that will speak to me regularly in the morning, and also will have coffee and pastries in one of our farm-to-table kosher cafés. During Shabbat, can see families walking to the synagogues or whatever with the little ones. Are not the ultra conservative Jews, but the men do wear their yarmulkes or black hats.
The women are usually younger, and while less conservative, still have *the look*, as their heads will always be covered.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
this is like saying all Christians are all the same

Old 09-02-2017, 07:30 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Debbie Schlussel frequently refers to many Jewish as self-hating, especially among the media, for their downplaying of Islamic terrorism. I also find most Jewish people to be of the left and far left persuasions, but won't go as far as Schlussel who seems to have problems with nearly everyone.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:55 AM

252 posts, read 347,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First and foremost you need to stop making blanket assumptions about various groups of New Yorkers.

The "Jewish" diaspora ranges from those so reformed they are almost Christians to very ultra Orthodox. There is a pretty wide range there and thus not wise to paint all with that same broad brush.

In fact you could go to Israel and see the same sort of distinctions *and* tensions between Jews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
this is like saying all Christians are all the same
Maybe you should RE-READ my post. Like i said, when i post something it is usually to EDUCATE myself on something I've observed and it has peaked my curiosity. I am in no way BLATANTLY making a blanket statement about an entire group of people, whether it be jewish or new yorkers. I even said in my original post that I haven't figured out all of the different types of jewish factions but i will eventually and i will be able to do that through educating myself, hopefully learning things from all of you on this forum.

So, i would appreciate it if you don't sit there with your attitude claiming that i am making a blanket statement about anyone. I'll say this once again so maybe it'll stick, i am simply trying to EDUCATE myself and learn more about things that are NEW to me.

Perhaps my wording isn't the best in my original post but hey, it was late at night when i posted it and i wrote it as i saw fit. Stop taking things so literally and being so sensitive about it. I even said in my post at the very bottom that my post was in no way to direct any type of HATE, stereotype or generalization about any ethnic group. I respect the jews and I've noticed they are very disciplined and what not but again, i was just curious about some of the things i've noticed that i haven't noticed in other ethnic groups.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 AM

175 posts, read 134,692 times
simply because Zionist jews rule the world and they control America

Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM

120 posts, read 186,220 times
1) The Jewish religion teaches that Jews should keep to themselves. Religious Jews adhere to this most of the time as is their right. Jews have their own schools so naturally they need their own school buses but actually NYC also provides bus service to private schools. I notice that plenty of gentiles own property in NYC and do very well. Have you ever heard of Bensonhurst or Gerritsen Beach? The Jewish neighborhoods aren't even the best in Brooklyn...Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope or Prospect Park are not Jewish. You don't see ethnic areas with other groups? Really dumb****? How about the Flatlands is Black, the Polish control Maspeth and the Chinese in Flushing? How about the Russians in Brighton Beach? NYC is all about ethnic neighborhoods. How stupid are you?

2) Jews are highly educated so as a community they do very well and they take care of their own. They don't throw people into the street to be homeless like gentiles do. They don't let people starve like gentiles do. Jews have to take care of themselves because nobody else will do it. Jews have been actively persecuted in America from the very start...1638 to today. There was a time when a Jew could not get an apartment, be admitted to certain colleges or get a good job. Rent the movie "Gentleman's Agreement" with Gregory Peck and educate yourself. The Alt Right/Neo Nazis conveniently forget that if it were not for a Jew who helped George Washington finance the end of the Revolutionary War, there would be no USA. Where did you get the idea that all Jews are well off? There are many Jews who live in poverty and Jews control nothing. That is the old Anti-Semitic **** spouted for centuries and by the Nazis in WWII..."the Jewish Conspiracy." You are an Anti-Semitic, ignorant ass.

3) Clearly you are not from NYC. A real New Yorker knows that the Irish predominate the police historically and are in charge even today. Jews are the LAST to join the NYPD given their history. There is indeed a private security company patrolling Midwood, paid for by residents who have expensive homes. So what? Are there no security companies protecting gentile homes? Actually, what the Orthodox Jews do have in Brooklyn is a volunteer emergency squad that responds quicker than the NYFD or NYPD whose resources are strained. Isn't that awful how religious Jews save taxpayer dollars and lives? What the hell are you talking about?

4) Do everyone a favor and just mind your own damn business. What we have learned is that you are a moron and prejudiced. You have marginalized and generalized the millions of Jews in the NYC area. The Jewish community is as varied and diverse as any other with different levels of observance and political views. I can understand why you would be jealous. Jews are the best and the brightest of every generation...even Mark Twain wrote that. Lots of gentiles wish they were in the Jewish community and some convert, but I wouldn't recommend that for you. You're clearly not intelligent enough to be a Jew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City