Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

Are you living in one of the five most affordable neighborhoods in Queens? - QNS.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Misleading title, those are not the most affordable neighborhoods. The most affordable neighborhoods are in Southeast Queens and they're kind of overpriced for what they are.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
This is a silly article. They are basing this all on "median resale price" of each neighborhood. OF COURSE a neighborhood with an extremely large percentage of apartments (vs. houses) is going to have a lower median price than a neighborhood that is mostly houses, because anytime a studio apartment sells it might be around $150K and therefore brings the overall median way down. Even a one bedroom apartment priced at $350K is going to bring a median down if you're comparing it to a neighborhood where almost all sales are single or multi family properties.

I sometimes hate what people do with numbers.

And yes, I do live in one of those 5 neighborhoods. It may be affordable compared with gentrified Brooklyn, and compared to Astoria and LIC, but there is no way that it's more affordable than the vast portion of Queens where you have to take a bus to the train.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is a silly article. They are basing this all on "median resale price" of each neighborhood. OF COURSE a neighborhood with an extremely large percentage of apartments (vs. houses) is going to have a lower median price than a neighborhood that is mostly houses, because anytime a studio apartment sells it might be around $150K and therefore brings the overall median way down. Even a one bedroom apartment priced at $350K is going to bring a median down if you're comparing it to a neighborhood where almost all sales are single or multi family properties.

I sometimes hate what people do with numbers.

And yes, I do live in one of those 5 neighborhoods. It may be affordable compared with gentrified Brooklyn, and compared to Astoria and LIC, but there is no way that it's more affordable than the vast portion of Queens where you have to take a bus to the train.
Flushing, Jamaica. St Albans, Springfield Gardens not affordable ?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Flushing, Jamaica. St Albans, Springfield Gardens not affordable ?
Flushing, not so much

The other neighborhoods are affordable by NYC standards, but they're overpriced for what they are IMO.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,601,532 times
The strange thing is that Forest Hills and Kew Gardens are affordable (and I agree they are), but yet very few poor people live there.
I really don't get it.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The strange thing is that Forest Hills and Kew Gardens are affordable (and I agree they are), but yet very few poor people live there.
I really don't get it.
I just looked up Forest Hills rents and it doesn't really seem affordable for poor people, even if it's affordable by NYC standards.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
I really don't get it.
$1900-$3200 rent is affordable lol

Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
$1900-$3200 rent is affordable lol
Quote:
I really don't get it.
Forest Hills should not even be in this discussion as it is overall an upper middle class area. Am not even including Forest Hills Gardens, which is in and of itself is one of the most expensive parts of Queens, right up there with Neponsit and Douglaston. Kew Gardens is only slightly cheaper than Forest Hills. Solid middle class with upper middle class pockets.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:27 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
I really don't get it.
The only poor people who would live in a neighborhood where one bedrooms rent for $2000/mo are people who have been there forever and have low stabilitzed or controlled rents, or are in NYCHA (I don't think there are any NYCHAs in Forest Hills).

I suppose poor people could also live in a house packed to the gills with people while the city turns a blind eye to the illegal overcrowding conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City