Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 03:26 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I used to live in the Bronx but haven't been back in almost 15 years! Makes me feel old now haha! But anywayz - I'm married now and have kids and we're planning a trip to NYC because my wife and kids have never even been to the east coast...Of course I'm going to take them to the tourist places in Manhattan too, but I want them to get a taste of the flavor of my favorite borough, the BRONX!!

I was thinking of places to take them too where they could see and feel the real BX...I already thought of Fordham Road, the Hub, Arthur Ave, City Island, Bronx Zoo...

What are some other places that would be good? I was a young lil knucklehead when I used to live there so I'm somewhat drawing a blank on family friendly things to do to experience the real BX...

Thx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 03:42 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Hi all - I used to live in the Bronx but haven't been back in almost 15 years! Makes me feel old now haha! But anywayz - I'm married now and have kids and we're planning a trip to NYC because my wife and kids have never even been to the east coast...Of course I'm going to take them to the tourist places in Manhattan too, but I want them to get a taste of the flavor of my favorite borough, the BRONX!!

I was thinking of places to take them too where they could see and feel the real BX...I already thought of Fordham Road, the Hub, Arthur Ave, City Island, Bronx Zoo...

What are some other places that would be good? I was a young lil knucklehead when I used to live there so I'm somewhat drawing a blank on family friendly things to do to experience the real BX...

Thx in advance!
Taking your family to see *The Hub*??? Am thinking someone is *nuts*. One of the *ugliest* places in the Bronx, and *nothing* family friendly to do. If already going to Fordham Rd, am thinking shopping would be taken care of? Can take the little ones to *Wave Hill* in Riverdale or whatever and have lunch at *Moss Café*. Where in the Bronx did you grow up? Can also do Botanical Garden which is close to the Bronx Zoo.

Can also take a walking tour of Fieldston to see how the *other half* lives. Lots of famous houses in that part in Riverdale, including a castle. In another estate area of Riverdale *Hudson Hill* can visit the former home of president JFK who lived in Riverdale for a period of time. The place is literally right across from Wave Hill (*5040 Independence Avenue, Riverdale, NY 10471).

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 09-10-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 03:51 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Edgar Allan Poe cottage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe_Cottage

Bronx Art Museum The Bronx Museum of the Arts

Pedestrian bridge between the Bronx and Manhattan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_B...(New_York_City)

Also when my friends took me around the Bronx we stopped in some neighborhood specifically for coconut ice desserts at some special street cart, but that may have been just some favorite of my friend's and not a specialty. I can't remember exactly where it was.

You can also check the universities in the Bronx to see if they are having any special events. Even if not, I believe you can still take a walking tour of some of the campuses (check to make sure).

Old 09-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Taking your family to see *The Hub*??? Am thinking someone is *nuts*. One of the *ugliest* places in the Bronx, and *nothing* family friendly to do. If already going to Fordham Rd, am thinking shopping would be taken care of? Can take the little ones to *Wave Hill* in Riverdale or whatever and have lunch at *Moss Café*. Where in the Bronx did you grow up? Can also do Botanical Garden which is close to the Bronx Zoo.

Can also take a walking tour of Fieldston to see how the *other half* lives. Lots of famous houses in that part in Riverdale, including a castle. In another estate area of Riverdale *Hudson Hill* can visit the former home of president JFK who lived in Riverdale for a period of time. The place is literally right across from Wave Hill (*5040 Independence Avenue, Riverdale, NY 10471).
You think the Hub is really that bad of an idea? Maybe you're right...I just thought it might be good for my kids to see another way of life and see how good they really have it...Idk you're probably right I'll probably scratch that...

I used to live off Valentine and 184th for a while and also in the Adams Houses on 152 and Tinton...

Btw thanks for your other suggestions...

Old 09-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
You think the Hub is really that bad of an idea? Maybe you're right...I just thought it might be good for my kids to see another way of life and see how good they really have it...Idk you're probably right I'll probably scratch that...

I used to live off Valentine and 184th for a while and also in the Adams Houses on 152 and Tinton...

Btw thanks for your other suggestions...
If you want them to see the *Boogie Down* can head over to the area by Yankee Stadium and get a 2-for-1.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:02 PM

329 posts, read 299,484 times
Bay Plaza

Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
You bringing bulletproof vests?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Even the bad parts of The Bronx aren't that dangerous anymore. If The Bronx were its own city, its murder rate would not particularly high.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Even the bad parts of The Bronx aren't that dangerous anymore. If The Bronx were its own city, its murder rate would not particularly high.
Oh I dunno about that. Some areas are still horrible. Most of the crimes you hear about random stabbings, beatings, muggings tend to be in the Bronx. Still remember that man that was beat down with a bar and robbed in broad day light. This is why it's crazy that the rents have become so high in the Bronx because some areas are still *very* ghetto. No way parts of Concourse Village should be $1500 for a one bedroom.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Nah no vests...I was thinking of bringing then to El Museo del Barrio tho, any other suggestions for while we're in Spanish Harlem? (Just asking you cuz of your screen name)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City