Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:39 AM

965 posts, read 1,114,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
@OP,

This lottery looks like it only applies to people who are destitute, or have 5 kids out of wedlock.

Middle income/working class do not qualify.
Yikes... The $30,000 - $40,000 range is a very common entry level salary for many professionals just starting out. Hospice staff, low level office staff, data entry clerks, etc.

$30,000 - $50,000 IS working class. North of $50,000 to $75,000 is the lower middle. North of $75,000 to $125,00 is around solid middle. For singles, obviously. Once you're in the $75,000+ range, options of housing stock is much more fruitful anyway.

There are way more people making working class (below $50,000) salaries than there are those in middle, so the demand is higher for them. 60% AMI also offers the biggest tax breaks to "sweeten" the deal.

There are hundreds of thousands of honest people making $35,000 a year that don't have 5 kids out of wedlock. 60% AMI isn't what I'd consider "destitute", either. 40%? 30%? That's more along the lines of destitute.

I don't understand people commenting in lottery threads to complain about how much they don't qualify. Be happy that you are making enough money to even say that. Eventually a building will come up that you will qualify for. Put your energy into that.

Let these people freaking live for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM

243 posts, read 310,142 times
@RadeonHD,

What about interns I work with fresh out of college, 22, and make 85K?

I wish I mad that at 22.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM

965 posts, read 1,114,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
@RadeonHD,

What about interns I work with fresh out of college, 22, and make 85K?

I wish I mad that at 22.
Not everyone is that lucky, though. That would be a great salary to have at 22, or any age for that matter. I myself have made lots of mistakes during my teen years, dropped out of high school, just rebelling. Kinda thought I wouldn't get anywhere, but I had a turnaround moment at age 24 and have been going up, up, up from there.

I was a 60% AMI'er up until last month, working as an entry level Helpdesk Technician. Was 25 when I got the job at $35,000 to start. I was humble and took it knowing that was well below the starting salary, let alone the average. I'm 28 now and bumped up to $55,000 through hard work and company change. This opportunity is promising and it'll only get better from here. At the rate I'm going, it is quite possible to hit low $100,000's by 35. Even if I don't get that high, I'll still be in a good position.

I have low self-esteem and self-confidence because I don't own a degree, but I'm getting over it because I already know how to do the work.

It just gets to me because most of this board looks at 60% AMI'ers almost as if they are above them because they make more money. Or 60% AMI is lazy, bums, etc. There are more people like me who happened to have messed up somewhere, or something, but eventually get out due to being respectful and having good work ethic than there are the lol Shaniqua / Tyrone types. (I saw some of your other posts and laughed just because Shaniqua is so close to Sheneneh, and Sheneneh cracks me the Hell up.)

On the flipside, there are some people who may never get out due to career choices. (Non-profit sector, and Social Work come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.) These people work just as hard as anyone else, sometimes harder; they just don't make much doing so.

There is a specific reason why most of these lotteries cater to that crowd. Money. Tax breaks. If there were no incentive, there wouldn't be affordable housing for anyone at all! It's unfortunate that the middle class gets shafted. Being a person who has literally jumped from one socioeconomic class to the next, I can see the frustration for both parties.

Sorry for the wall of text. Haha.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM

33 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaninbro28 View Post
Earlier today, breakingground inform me that they mistakenly emailed me about American copper. Letting me know I was never chosen for this particular property! Breakingground is terribly mismanaged.

Then later today, I just received notification from 42 west 33rd street that they will be mailing out ineligible letter. As soon as it comes, I will be be appealing. I do hope this non-prof is better ran than breakingground. Good luck everyone!
How did you find out they would be mailing you an ineligibility letter? Did you call? I gave them the last of the requested documents earlier this week and have been sitting in the edge of my seat ever since waiting for an email.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 AM

74 posts, read 64,629 times
Default appeal

Because they emailed me that they were going to be sending out a letter explaining why I was initially rejected.

I got the letter last week and I have already begun my appeal process.
Typically, this process takes about two weeks for them to resubmit you back into the system.

I have an idea of how the process works because my file is currently being processed by another non profit developer company. I just received documents from them that I have to sign and notarized. Typically, this is step before your documents goes to HPD for final review. There job is to confirm that the developer did everything according to the law. Once HPD approves, then you will be offer an apartment.

This is for a property in the Bronx. I am not picky at alll!!!!!! However, if even given a choice I would choose 42 west 33rd over the one in Bronx. However, I would gladly jump to the opportunity of having my own place.

Good luck with everything!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:31 PM

48 posts, read 86,171 times
Quote:
Earlier today, breakingground inform me that they mistakenly emailed me about American copper. Letting me know I was never chosen for this particular property! Breakingground is terribly mismanaged.

Then later today, I just received notification from 42 west 33rd street that they will be mailing out ineligible letter. As soon as it comes, I will be be appealing. I do hope this non-prof is better ran than breakingground. Good luck everyone!
yes it is.. They denied me because of credit ALONE and I told them I was working on it and they aren't supposed to according to NYC law..

Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM

33 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Because they emailed me that they were going to be sending out a letter explaining why I was initially rejected.

I got the letter last week and I have already begun my appeal process.
Typically, this process takes about two weeks for them to resubmit you back into the system.

I have an idea of how the process works because my file is currently being processed by another non profit developer company. I just received documents from them that I have to sign and notarized. Typically, this is step before your documents goes to HPD for final review. There job is to confirm that the developer did everything according to the law. Once HPD approves, then you will be offer an apartment.

This is for a property in the Bronx. I am not picky at alll!!!!!! However, if even given a choice I would choose 42 west 33rd over the one in Bronx. However, I would gladly jump to the opportunity of having my own place.

Good luck with everything!
Thank you so much! I still haven’t heard back from them so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. Praying everything goes well.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:30 AM

My log number is the lowest it has ever been for any of these lottery 8,$&0) and I have a disability.
I just mailed over check stubs to appeal their original decision. This building looks amazing and we all are so lucky to even been given log numbers!! This is incredible opportunity for us all!! Good luck, everyone!☺️

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Yikes... The $30,000 - $40,000 range is a very common entry level salary for many professionals just starting out. Hospice staff, low level office staff, data entry clerks, etc.

$30,000 - $50,000 IS working class. North of $50,000 to $75,000 is the lower middle. North of $75,000 to $125,00 is around solid middle. For singles, obviously. Once you're in the $75,000+ range, options of housing stock is much more fruitful anyway.

There are way more people making working class (below $50,000) salaries than there are those in middle, so the demand is higher for them. 60% AMI also offers the biggest tax breaks to "sweeten" the deal.

There are hundreds of thousands of honest people making $35,000 a year that don't have 5 kids out of wedlock. 60% AMI isn't what I'd consider "destitute", either. 40%? 30%? That's more along the lines of destitute.

I don't understand people commenting in lottery threads to complain about how much they don't qualify. Be happy that you are making enough money to even say that. Eventually a building will come up that you will qualify for. Put your energy into that.

Let these people freaking live for once.
FACTS!!!
I could not have said it better myself. It is so aristocratic to think that everyone whom qualifies for 60 percent AMI isn't striving and working just as hard as their six digit counter parts. I would gladly trade my apartment (if I am chosen) for a six digit salary any day of the week.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornandraisednyc View Post
Thank you so much! I still haven’t heard back from them so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. Praying everything goes well.
I would call them and then email a follow up. You have to stay on top of them. It is a nerve wrecking process but these lotteries are often mismanaged and understaffed. So I would call today to find out if there is anymore needed from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: