Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

I need some advice regarding a neighborhood cat issue.

There is a woman who lives on the other side of my street who feeds cats on the street of my property every single day. She comes in the morning and leaves Tupperware full of cat food in front of my house every morning and then comes again in the evening to do it again. She does not clean up her Tupperware and the cars end up running over the plastic containers creating a mess all over the street.

A few months ago I tried to speak with her, telling her to stop feeding the cats in front of my property but she wouldn't listen. She wouldn't feed the cats in front of her place because "someone was already feeding there" and she refuses to feed them at the park which is across from her house. The excuse she keeps using is "it's not illegal to feed cats" which I understand but she has been constantly feeding it in front of my house despite my wishes of her stopping. She doesn't clean the mess (which she claims she does) and she doesn't listen to any reasoning. Recently, she has grown a habit of even leaving food in my garden by slipping it through a small crevice in my fence.

I am not the only one fed up with it as she leaves food in front of my neighbors as well. We tried complaining to the owner of her apartment who claims that "there are two people who feed cats and don't listen to anything he says because he doesn't even allow them to feed on his property but they do it anyways."

My neighborhood is overrun by cats and the population increases each day. Other neighbors (who I don't know where they live) have started to leave trays of cat food as well because they think just because 1 person is doing it they can too. NO ONE CLEANS UP AFTER THEMSELVES.

How can I stop this problem? I have no issues with people feeding cats but they keep doing it in front of my property and won't listen to me when I ask them to stop. I tried calling 311 and the only thing they say is "it's not illegal to feed cats."

HELP..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:17 PM

59 posts, read 64,979 times
Take the cat food and throw it in the trash with the container.

Outside of that I don’t see a solution.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:19 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
Well that’s why they’re called crazy cat ladies. Anyway, if it really bothers you contact the property manager with photographic evidence, and also call your towns equivalent to 311. Once you have sufficient documentation, you’ll be able to take them to court.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
Post a sign on your property: "No Cat Feeding," complete with a picture of a cat eating with a line through it. That will solve the problem.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
NY Times: What Can I Do About Feral Cats?

Feeding Feral Cats
A neighbor leaves bowls of food around the neighborhood for feral cats, even placing some on the grounds of the Russian diplomatic mission at the end of our block. I’ve asked her to stop, and I remove food when I can, but to no avail. The cats treat my garden like their litter box, track mud over my car and wail and moan when they fight or mate. Worse, the food attracts skunks. A neighbor’s dog was sprayed twice and my shuttered window was sprayed, filling my house with the stench. Another neighbor and I trapped seven skunks to be released in Pelham Bay Park, but there are more. What recourse do I have?

Click the link at the top for the answer!

Last edited by Henna; 10-07-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstn28 View Post
Take the cat food and throw it in the trash with the container.

Outside of that I don’t see a solution.
That's what I do right now. Every time I see it, I throw it out. However, I'm not that free to always do it and I definitely don't want her to think "Oh someone will always clean my mess for me"

Old 10-07-2017, 08:30 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times
My aunt - who lived in the Adirondacks used to feed cats, and I think the whole house was surrounded by them. She passed away, but my other aunt who took over her property still complains of feral “cat packs” coming around twice or even three times a day looking for food. So the problem may not be remedied only from the human side. They had to call animal control- so maybe that’s another option.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:37 PM

63 posts, read 42,062 times
Put some kind of cat deterrent around your property/in the food. Perhaps if they stop eating from the bowls in front of your property, those putting food out will try a different spot.

Might not be illegal to feed cats... but littering is another story.

Personally, I'd start live trapping, and taking to humane society (or call animal control). I cannot stand roaming cats. And, no cats to feed means no feeding on your property.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:46 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times
Feral cats are a huge problem. They kill millions of birds a year in the U.S. Cats are not native to North America and should not be allowed to roam free. I hate to hear of situations like this.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:33 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,759 times
Cats keep rodents away. Rodents are dirty, cats are clean. Yes, the cats can be annoying and I wouldn't feed them on my property of neighbors property. You are better off with a few cats that keep the rodents away than being over run by hundreds of rodents that will cause much more damage than a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: