Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:11 PM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times

Advertisements

Commercial cat repellents: Shake-Away powder bears the scent of the urine of predators that cats fear, namely, coyote, fox and bobcat. This commercial cat repellent comes in a granular form, which you simply sprinkle around the problem area. The product is advertised as being organic, making it an acceptable option to use around children and pets. Nor will it harm your plants.

https://www.thespruce.com/cat-repell...r-yard-2132573
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,118,719 times
Best line, Henna:

And once those globe-trotting cats are on the Russians’ property, they enjoy diplomatic immunity, Mr. Newman said

Old 10-08-2017, 07:10 AM

375 posts, read 324,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Cats keep rodents away. Rodents are dirty, cats are clean. Yes, the cats can be annoying and I wouldn't feed them on my property of neighbors property. You are better off with a few cats that keep the rodents away than being over run by hundreds of rodents that will cause much more damage than a cat.
Exactly! If you don't have cats in your neighborhood....you're gonna have rats. Pick your poison folks!

Old 10-08-2017, 12:49 PM

6,693 posts, read 6,048,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
Exactly! If you don't have cats in your neighborhood....you're gonna have rats. Pick your poison folks!
Personally, I’m a cat lover for the exception of when males mark their territory. Their urine really stinks.

Either way, New York has deployed cats for its war on rats. Let’s see how it turns out

Feral Cats Are Being Deployed in New York

Old 10-08-2017, 05:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,702,343 times
First of all, never take 311's declaration as the final word. They're idiots.

I think you should take a stance that it is not, strictly speaking, illegal to feed a cat or a dog (for instance, if you handed a biscuit to your neighbor's dog while it was being walked), yet to habitually feed and leave food out for any animals creates a problem. According to an NYC government website, it it creates an unsanitary condition, there could be a violation. I like Mr. Ryu's Shake-Away suggestion, but it doesn't solve the larger problem.

If it were me, I'd start with writing my council person, the health department, and whatever division is in charge of rat extermination. Of course, you should mention that it's in front of your property (and if you can get picture of her leaving it on your property, you can contact the police) - but don't emphasize that, because your object is not to just get her to move a few yards, but to stop altogether. You can complain about it both in terms of a health issue (vermin and insects) but possibly also as a safety issue, because people might trip on the containers or slip on the food.

Also, I hate to say this, but if she's very elderly, check into the possibility of having someone from the city investigate as to whether she's got all her marbles. It's not that I think she should be institutionalized, but you might spook her enough to make her stop.

I'd be curious to know how this develops, so let us know.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 4,540,639 times
Try contacting some reputable animal shelters or the mayor's alliance on animals. Some of the shelters will do TNR, which is trap, neuter, release, if the cats are really feral. It will keep the population down over time, end the mating calls and spraying, and if any of the cats are not feral, they'll get them homes or jobs - the rat program someone mentioned above is usually neutered ferals. Warehouses and other worksites like lumber yards use them if they have a rat problem.

I doubt there's much else you can do about the food other than call the police and tell them she's trespassing on your property, which she is when she leaves food you don't want there.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,164,475 times

Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,118,719 times
Trap-neuter and release will not allow for a sustainable population of feral cats.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM

6,160 posts, read 4,540,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Trap-neuter and release will not allow for a sustainable population of feral cats.
I'm thinking the OP doesn't want the population sustained. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Post a sign on your property: "No Cat Feeding," complete with a picture of a cat eating with a line through it. That will solve the problem.
That only works for calling them, not feeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: