Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 09:46 AM

88 posts, read 61,303 times

Advertisements

What are some of the benefits of living in Manhattan compared toadjacent areas in Brooklyn & Queens (like Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Long Island City etc)? Is it worth the extra cost to live in Manhattan, and if so why? How is the lifestyle different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I've lived all of my life in Manhattan, and quite honestly, I don't see any real difference except in commuting lengths. Uber is a life saver if you want to hang out late at night but live further out. Personally, I would trade living in Manhattan for an affordable apartment near Manhattan where I can have views. (As in Long Island City, as one example)

Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Commute times.

It used to be that you'd have to go to Manhattan to eat out or for entertainment, not anymore. That's why the relative rents between Manhattan and Brooklyn/Queens neighborhoods close to the river are fairly comparable. You really do not sacrifice anything as far as QOL/day-to-day amenities go, it's just commute times to your job (if you work in Manhattan, as most people still do).

Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles XII View Post
What are some of the benefits of living in Manhattan compared toadjacent areas in Brooklyn & Queens (like Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Long Island City etc)? Is it worth the extra cost to live in Manhattan, and if so why? How is the lifestyle different?
only advantage is bragging rights and maintaining certain social circles

Old 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM

148 posts, read 130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
only advantage is bragging rights and maintaining certain social circles

Annnnnnnnd the problem is ????

Old 10-11-2017, 11:06 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I've lived all of my life in Manhattan, and quite honestly, I don't see any real difference except in commuting lengths.
not necessarily. If you live in the Inwood, Washington Heights, or even Yorkville as an example...it can be quite a bit of commute.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
I think years ago there was more of a difference. Manhattan was lively, with active street life, lots of restaurants and plenty of things to do. You were likely to find more liberal people and also anonymity, if you didn't want prying eyes judging you.

But since then, I think you can approximate the "Manhattan lifestyle" in several neighborhoods in the other boroughs. Parts of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx have seen the arrival of large numbers of young people, restaurants, music venues, etc.

It all depends on what you require in a neighborhood and where you can find it.

If you tell us what you're looking for, people here might have some ideas.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
I'll take Lower East Side living over Downtown Brooklyn living at this stage in life. I really like my commute, but I am peculiarly rent stabilized, so the cost would actually be greater to live in other areas. My walls are also thicker now, so I can't hear my neighbors like I could everywhere I lived in those 'modern' high rises or converted hotels.

I say it's less about Manhattan vs Outer Boroughs outside of the commute as it is neighborhood by neighborhood. I wouldn't want to live in Times Square and I'd love to live in Forest Hills, especially the Gardens. I don't want to live in Flatbush, but I'd love to live in western Washington Heights. YMMV.

Last edited by Javawood; 10-11-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 01:00 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Brooklyn Heights will cost you as much or more as a good Manhattan neighborhood. Greenpoint has not great subway accessibility (so not just a long commute, but an awkward one). LIC is still somewhat industrial and developing but the rents in those new towers are pretty high. So I'm not sure those are the best ones to choose for comparison, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City