Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:11 AM

783 posts, read 577,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I think MTA should declare state of emergency for subways. Subways are getting slower, delays are getting out of control
How can that be? The NYC transit system was just named the BEST transit system in the WHOLE of North America!

Best public transit systems in North America - Business Insider

And the not-so-justifying justification why?
Quote:
Many New Yorkers would be surprised to see the Big Apple clinch the number one spot, considering the delays and disruptions that have plagued the subway system. But Arcadis notes that the city has one of the most intricate subway systems in the world. New York has also initiated some large projects, like Port Authority's $32.2-billion capital plan dedicated to bus terminal improvements.
Yaaaay for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:45 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
How can that be? The NYC transit system was just named the BEST transit system in the WHOLE of North America!

Yaaaay for us...
This is more about how bad mass transit is in the US than about how great it is in the US.

NYC’s transit system has some obvious fixes it needs, but there has to be a change in how we build infrastructure as well as how we subsidize suburbs on a national scale as well as how we reform how transit operates and build in NYC.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:55 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Holy ****, this thread went uber racial/policital faster than I through it would. Is this some kind of city data record?

The trains seem fine to me. Examples? Or just another excuse to bash libs/deblasio/shumer/people that don’t like trump etc?
I do agree that the posters in here have some issues, but i do think the subway is geetting worse. That's hard to deny.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I lived in NYC in the late '70's. Even then the subway was less than optimal. I can only imagine what it's like now.
Oh please, give it a break.

You haven't lived here for nearly fifty years and you think the NYC subway system hasn't changed.

Come back and you'll have your eyes opened for you my friend.

I've got news for you pal, I have been here since the 1970's and would take the subway system in 2017 over 1977 any day of the week. Especially the new Second Avenue line.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
lots of cops on the subway and streets today

Hmm, might have something to do with events earlier this week and the New York City marathon weekend.

But then again maybe not; suppose there could have been credible reports of threats posed by gremlins. Those little green men who wreck trains with di-a-bo-lick-al sab-oh-tay-gee (diabolical sabotage).

Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 AM

499 posts, read 794,328 times
There are simply too many people using the system at peak times. Just a decade ago, it was rare to let a train pass due to it being too full. Perhaps a temporary release could be more seatless train cars?

Since we'll likely never build an entirely new subway line, the city should invest in other transportation options. There is untapped potential in buses if they continue giving them their own lanes, start granting them green light priority and begin cutting down the number of stops. Additionally, skyways, bike lanes, ferries and light-rail all need to be part of the equation to alleviate pressure from the subway. Building new subways at $2B a mile just isn't viable.

Last edited by Arxis28; 11-05-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Holy ****, this thread went uber racial/policital faster than I through it would. Is this some kind of city data record?

The trains seem fine to me. Examples? Or just another excuse to bash libs/deblasio/shumer/people that don’t like trump etc?
How about the fact that the 4/5 lines are running late more that 2/3 of the time, according to the MTA themselves?

Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
We must fix suburban white America and send jobs to suburban white America so that less and less college educated white people won't move to nyc after college.
This is silly, there are way more people coming here from developing countries than there are white people from other states.

And NYC isn't the only city in America believe it or not, many if not most of the white transplants are from urban areas. Well, if you count LA aa urban.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post

Yaaaay for us...
Most other US cities don't even have real subway systems, if any

Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
quote:
However one thing that has changed over the years is more obese riders.

omfg THIS. I can't tell you how many times my person is situated properly withing the confines of a bucket seat only get SQUISHED out or literally at times BUMPED off the perpendicular seats when some lard ass intentionally squeezes themself in. It's rude AF! It's one of the reasons I hate the purple/periwinkle colored seats because there are no bucket indentations so a person who is 799 pounds (cuz most scales don't go to 800) have no shame in spreading their entire person where there'd be room enough for three normal sized people. But then again the MTA thinks we don't even NEED seats anymore lol. Sorry, but I like to sit on the train and feel it's the only way my money is making it worth it. I can't read standing up and I have poor balance. Luckily they make chairs that fold that literally are no bigger than a medium sized umbrella, which I will be bringing onto the trains to give myself a seat when the trains go full on third world with no seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City