Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Until your kids come home crying, because their scumbag classmates have a $300 hat, and they want one too.

Until they have their ears ringing from the bigoted Dung Island Morons negative comments about "kikes" and "******s" and any one who isn't just like them...the same.

Until you go out in the morning...look at Dung Island...the flat, dull, moronic expanse of it.

The Bronx is better. Why not stay and fix it up, rather than flee to some dubious "paradise.?
Even in inner-city schools, you still have the haves and the have-nots and all the conflict that goes along with it. I see it every day.

Interesting that I read this today. My class has a health educator come in from an outside agency, and today they were talking about improving the community. When asked, only two kids said that they liked their neighborhood (vicinity of Yankee Stadium). One is lucky to have great neighbors and the other is so heavily involved in gang activity that he can't see straight. I'd bet that most of my students would be happy to live on LI, or anywhere else.

There is a lot of potential in the Bronx, I agree with you that the community I work in would benefit from positive change. But it's not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM

242 posts, read 926,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
You know it. When I was in college, the biggest dopeheads I knew were LI kids. Freebase coke and heroin, not just pot.

In the city, there's things to do besides that. It might be safer, crime wise...but boredom kills.
Thats because they had money to go college. Theres plenty of crack, coke and heroin in the bronx. Its just that the chances of getting into/affording college are alot lower for kid with a drug problem from a poor area (bronx) vs. middle/upper middle class area (Long Island).

On an unrelated note, your posts are ****ing retarded. Were your parents first cousins or did your mother just drink while she was pregnant with you?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,169 times
I must say the discussion is fascinating. I see the truth and value in all the viewpoints. I live on Tremont St in Boston curiously. It's a gentrifying neighborhood. I'm moving out though, going to the Dallas suburbs not exactly by choice. I fear Dalius's suburban dread. I agree with SuperMario's assessment that the inner city is not disney. I appreciate Guy's cause and wear his shoes up here. I love love love my dirty city -especially the clean parts - but I hate the noise, filth, wild drivers and ill-mannered neighbors. I don't believe suburban's have any better manners. Somebody here said suburban rednecks = ghetto scum. Absolutely right, there are stupid people in both places and they are just as obnoxious.

The most dangerous thing around here is the suburban drivers doing 50 down my street as I try to safely walk my child to school. He's the only white boy in his bilingual immersion class and he's treated pretty darn fairly. Although he's treated with respect, he has not made a lot of real friends among his classmates. Do they respect him to be respectful but not really like him? He's a pioneer but doesn't know it. Will it be better in the burbs for him, or will he sink to the bottom of the social ladder among the snotty rich brats? I will hate all the driving, the lack of an Indian Thai & Pho within walking distance. I will not miss the car alarms and blaring horns. I will definitely miss the sidewalks. I will definitely like the free gyms and pools in my little Dallas planned community.

You people are awesome. When I come back north to visit, I will sublet in NYC. I'm done with BOS, it's so second best. I'll safeguard the family in the burbs for a while then I'll escape once a year to hang with you all in the real thing. I'm with you though SuperMario. I came to the hood to prove we all CAN get along, and we do - grudgingly. I'm definitely tired of the grudge though, and some space where everything isn't an ordeal, it's clean and works - I can do that for a while. Off the gauntlet out of the rat race. When I come back to the North - to NYC, I won't be doing Tremont - I'm done with Tremont. I'll do Central Park. And it will be good.

Hey Mario, did Tommy get a new Ipod? I hope so. I've walked in his shoes too. MAybe you ought to move down to Texas Mario. This might be what you are looking for:

Apartments.com - Community Glance

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I'm going to have to agree with SuperMario here. Old buildings suck, but most of us just have to deal with it. Everytime the people living above me move around, watch TV, or have a conversation I can here them. I am sure the same applies with me and the person below me.

The rooms and hallway are all pretty drafty from the old windows, and 70-80 year old radiator makes tons of noise when it is on or turning on.

I'm sure having to walk up to he top floor of some of these buildings isn't fun for the people who have to do it (luckily I live closer to the ground floor).

These types of situations are typical for old, 70-80 year old buildings in the Bronx, of which there are TONS. It seems like most new construction of apartment buildings in the Bronx stopped back in the 1950s, so the housing stock is for the most part pretty old.

In my opinion there is a real need for newer middle-class apartment buildings in the outerboroughs. You see a lot of these buildings going up in Queens and Brooklyn (I've noticed a particular concentration of them in Asian neighborhoods). All of the city's rules make it too difficult or unprofitable for these buildings to be built up on a regular basis.

For a while I've hated on those Fedder condo buildings, but I honestly think I want to move into one once I get the money saved up in 5-10 years. To be able to have a quieter apartment with a parking space, and newer appliances (possibly even a washing machine/dryer) would be really nice.
you'd be surprised but most of the new fedders stuff is built on the cheap....i've been in a few of them and you can just get a sense of the place not being constructed with a solid finished product in mind.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
Seventh the fact remains the fedders homes are FAR AND AWAY better than the old buildings that SuperWario complains about. Nothing is perfect, but the fedders homes are a HUGE improvement for people trapped in these decrepid building.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I've actually never been in any Fedders. I will have to check one out if I see an open house.

My building is old and has its problems (noisy, paint chipping away, steps need to be fixed, radiators are always a problem), but it isn't ghetto like Super Mario's building (graffiti, beer bottles, condoms, trash in the hallways). There's a difference between an old building and a run-down building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Seventh the fact remains the fedders homes are FAR AND AWAY better than the old buildings that SuperWario complains about. Nothing is perfect, but the fedders homes are a HUGE improvement for people trapped in these decrepid building.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I've actually never been in any Fedders. I will have to check one out if I see an open house.

My building is old and has its problems (noisy, paint chipping away, steps need to be fixed, radiators are always a problem), but it isn't ghetto like Super Mario's building (graffiti, beer bottles, condoms, trash in the hallways). There's a difference between an old building and a run-down building.
Let me clarify. My building isn't always like that. Usually on the weekends when people drink and litter.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
I think Fedders look nice on the outside.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,453 times
I typically dont like the fedders houses on the outside as they are just rectangular, uninspired boxes and don't fit with the surrounding community of ornate rowhouses/brownstones, or achitectural details of the walk-ups. Nonetheless, I will take them over a vacant lot, and they serve as an excellent resource for new, modern, arguably "luxury" housing for locals as well as new residents.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I typically dont like the fedders houses on the outside as they are just rectangular, uninspired boxes and don't fit with the surrounding community of ornate rowhouses/brownstones, or achitectural details of the walk-ups. Nonetheless, I will take them over a vacant lot, and they serve as an excellent resource for new, modern, arguably "luxury" housing for locals as well as new residents.
i will take them over a vacant lot any day myself, but to choose between a well maintained art-deco elevator bldg or a fedders, i'll have to take my art-deco.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City