Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 AM

307 posts, read 2,508,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I would live in Long Island 1000 times before the Bronx. I rather have a private home, with a car, front yard, backyard, quiet neighborhood where I dont have to see drug dealing everywhere I go. The absence of gangs and loiterers would help aswell. Dont forget not having to live in an 88 year old building with no elevators.

So you think peepz in LI don't deal with drugs??? Yor are pretty green if you really believe what you saying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
So you think peepz in LI don't deal with drugs??? Yor are pretty green if you really believe what you saying....
Then let me be green, because I absolutely believe what I am saying.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I don't see how you can be priced out of most of the areas in Long Island esp Suffolk County. You can buy a starter home for about 165k. I don't know I guess if you can't handle the prices move down south.
Long Island is supposed to be one of the most expensive places to live in the country. Property taxes are through the roof.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Lots of teen drug use in LI. Harder stuff too.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
gangs are prevalent in some areas of long island too....some areas are not that rosy, and the property tax alone kills any thoughts of me ever owning there. $10-$12K a year is ridiculous.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Some of the more affordable areas in LI are deep into Suffolk too. I don't know too many 20 year olds who find those areas attractive. Most of them want to work in the city and that's a long-ass commute. LIRR is expensive too.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Lots of teen drug use in LI. Harder stuff too.

You know it. When I was in college, the biggest dopeheads I knew were LI kids. Freebase coke and heroin, not just pot.

In the city, there's things to do besides that. It might be safer, crime wise...but boredom kills.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
You know it. When I was in college, the biggest dopeheads I knew were LI kids. Freebase coke and heroin, not just pot.

In the city, there's things to do besides that. It might be safer, crime wise...but boredom kills.
I agree, the burbs have its own problems.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
But let's get back to why the Bronx is so great:

-The Yankees and their new stadium!
-The Bronx Zoo..the best around.
-The Botanical Gardens...amazing!
-Top Tier Universities, the most educational institutions of ANY borough.
-Most parkland of ANY borough..and the largest park of all the boroughs too..Pelham Bay.
-MOST affordable housing and cost of living of any borough BY FAR.
-Immensely diverse housing stock: Mansions, bungalows, seaside/beach communities, subsidized housing of ALL kinds, estates, condos, brownstones, coops, 30 story luxury buildings, 2 story single family homes...and more
-Beautiful views of the Palisades, the Hudson, and the city too!
-Redevelopment just in its infancy..so upside is significant.
-Broad and well developed transportation options: Highway access is everywhere, buses, trains, Metro-North, express buses to the city.

And let's not forget...it STILL retains the old school "charm" that is pretty much gone in much of NYC...it's very old school, gritty in much of the Southern Bronx...and has a very urban vibe that is rare indeed.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post

It's not boredom that gets LIers into drugs, it's that they can afford it more than teens in run-down areas in the city. I went to one of the wealthiest school districts on Long Island and there were still drugs. Like someone said, it was harder, more expensive drugs because some kids could afford it. Also, there are gangs...I knew people in my school who were involved in them. I grew up in one of the safest/most expensive areas of Long Island, I still heard stories from people I knew about gangs driving through the streets and things were going on with a rival gang. I just heard that there were gunshots and bats involved. It isn't as rosy as you think it is lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City