Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How many sushi places that you go to that aren't run by Asians?

If you have a genuine passion for it, then I ain't mad. Way different than capitalizing for a quick buck.

You think these gourmet people have a real passion to make chopped cheese?

You're kidding yourself if you think they do, what is their connection to it? That's the point.
I agree to some extent. Chopped cheese isn't a larger category of food--it's just one kind of sandwich. Adding it to a menu because you like it makes sense, but what these aren't sandwich shops finding a new item; this is riding a wave. I like a good chopped cheese, always with a couple of jalapenos chopped in there for me, but it never struck me as being particularly special.

Then again, if people are going to buy them, it's good business for the little while it exists. It's too bad that people who grew up eating it aren't the ones marketing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
Your NOT a real 'New Yawka' if you never had one of these atleast ONCE in your life.
The 'chop cheese' bodega staple. (Yes, i said bodega)
It's not a 'corner' or 'grocery' store and if you call it that just hit the back button on your browser now.

Now, for those of you that DO know what im talkin about i thought it would be cool if we all share the price/location you get yours.

I cant believe Whole Foods and some other schemers are trying to 'GENTRIFY' a sandwich ! ! ! !

Dont worry hipsters if you did'nt know what a 'chop cheese' was you will now and you will pay TRIPLE for it. SMH
*yawn*

First of all, it's "you're". Second of all, I'never lived a day outside NYC in my life and I've never heard of this. Now that I have, I have no interest in trying it because it sounds straight up nasty. Doesn't make me less of a New Yorker. Just means I have a different opinion.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Fuzhou Chinese making sushi are about as far distant in culture from the Japanese, as the white people from the Midwest are to black people, if not more so.
Quote:
If you have a genuine passion for it, then I ain't mad. Way different than capitalizing for a quick buck.

You're kidding yourself if you think they do, what is their connection to it? That's the point.
They don't have passion about making sushi, they are just trying to make a buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Not trying to be condescending here, but you're not talking out of any real knowledge or experience of these foods or the cultures that they hail from. You're just posting "wishful thinking." Sushi in Japan is not "street food." It started out that way over 100 years ago, but that's not what it is now or has been for a very long time. It's exactly in Japan today as it is in the US. Just like here, it's sold in restaurants, and the price varies depending on where you eat and the quality of ingredients.
I know what sushi in modern day Japan is. I've actually been there for extended periods of time. That's why I said "Sushi in Japan was originally street food". Not trying to be condescending here, but you should read what you are responding to. By the way, for your info, in modern Japan sushi is not a popular style of serving raw fish, compared to sashimi. Those conveyor belt cheap "sushi" places in Japan serve sashimi most of the time and don't even have sushi on the menu unless you specialty order them. I wouldn't even be surprised if New York had more sushi places than Tokyo, as crazy as that may sound.
Quote:
Japanese are the loudest complainers of cultural "theft" when Hollywood adapts their anime or popular movie; you've obviously never been to a forum where they will rant and rave about how they hate Americans for "stealing" their culture.
Here are some clues; look at my forum registration date and then look at my username. You do realize I have a Japanese anime show as my username that I registered 7 years ago? The "complainers" are not Japanese (they could care less actually), the complainers are Western weeboos who are complaining because Hollywood screwed up their favorite anime/manga adaptation. They are equivalent to the people who read the book and complain about Hollywood movie based on the book. E.g. Neflix's horrible adaptation of Death Note. Real Japanese people are actually pleasantly surprised when they learn you as a gaijin know about their anime or tv shows.
Quote:
...cultural appropriation...
Stop right there. Delete this word from your vocabulary. "Cultural appropriation" is a stupid meme term. All of art, literature, science, philosophy, architecture, and religion is "cultural appropriation". That's how human civilization operates. We take ideas from the past, other cultures and we "remix" them and build on them. The language you and I are having a conversation in is cultural appropriation, so are the letters we are using... and you are upset about some ground beef with melted cheese? Please...

Last edited by Gantz; 12-11-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I never heard of such sandwich. Like collard greens, it must have been brought here by some transplant back in the day.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM

983 posts, read 931,103 times
Getting mad about a dumb ghetto sandwich being gentrified is just as pointless as going to a ****ty hipster restaurant that charges 15$ for it.

I was born in NYC and I never even heard of a chopped cheese until twitter started complaining that white people are eating them in 2015 or so.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
I'm gonna get mad if these transplants ever copy the quarter juice lol...or start serving vodka tropical fantasy. They also better not ever make fake cigarette burns next to the start buttons on arcade machines to make them more NYC authentic.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Such a stupid thread...not sure why people are getting so riled up over a poor man's Philly cheesesteak. I work with mostly black native New Yorkers and none of them eat chopped cheese. Just because something is popular in one part of NYC doesn't mean it's popular in every part of NYC.

Out of all the delicious food in NYC, why should anyone care about a chopped cheese?

Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Getting mad about a dumb ghetto sandwich being gentrified is just as pointless as going to a ****ty hipster restaurant that charges 15$ for it.

I was born in NYC and I never even heard of a chopped cheese until twitter started complaining that white people are eating them in 2015 or so.
Yeah I agree. And what's with the slight against Bourdain? He's been living in NYC much longer than the average keyboard activist has been alive. When that Bronx episode came out, it is true that most New Yorkers regardless of race did not know what a chopped cheese is.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
*yawn*

First of all, it's "you're". Second of all, I'never lived a day outside NYC in my life and I've never heard of this. Now that I have, I have no interest in trying it because it sounds straight up nasty. Doesn't make me less of a New Yorker. Just means I have a different opinion.
You're not a real New Yorker unless you like crappy bodega sandwiches!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

People from the hood are too busy chasing welfare programs in order to think about marketing anything from these neighborhoods. At a certain point people need to take responsibility for their own lives. Instead of hating others for making money, learn to make money like them. Anyone not intellectually impaired can do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City